Anybody have an airbag laying around?

Casper

I have a set from a 95 Z28 if they're worth anything to anybody. The driver's side is dark charcoal gray. Never sold them when I parted the car because you can't ship them via the usual methods.

I've blown those up for disposal to - proper procedure is face up. Of course I have no idea how to safely detonate this passenger one without bolting it to something...

Are the injuries more minor than they would have been without the airbag?

The choice is minor injuries off the airbag or severe trama or death. Tough choice......

- Each airbag design is custom tuned to each car environment. The speed of the bag, the size of the bag, and the dynamics of how the bag is filled before human impact is a few parameters you have to work with for a design. It really is both a science and a bit of an art.

We set them off here at our auto classes, to demonstrate that it's not a toy and will kill you if it has the chance. I watched one fire into the air about 50-60 feet, and down range a considerable distance. And it's rather loud.

Fired face down. Dented corrugated steel ceiling that's 16 or 18 ft high.

Quoted from CalSci......

Draw your own conclusions. My conclusions: 1) yet another example of gross incompetence on the part of the government, 2) if your wife weighs less than about 140 pounds and you like her, you want the airbags in her car disabled, and 3) you want your passenger side airbag disabled pretty much at all times. The exception would be if your passengers nearly always weigh more than 150 pounds and are nearly always taller than about 5'6".

more 2 cents....

-- I dont think the conclusion is really up to date..........

Airbag design has evolved quite a bit since the mid 90's to point of having 2 and 3 stages and sensing the size/weight of the person in the seat. Still though, I cringe at anybody who drives sitting up close to the steering wheel, its could be nasty in a wreck. If your wearing a seatbelt you have a better shot. The industry is working on gas blead off for situation like that and may be in current model cars, but older models are still just fire on impact.

For the passenger side, 2 stage started going in around 2004, so just as long as anybody doesnt sit way close to the instrument panel, it should be ok.

On kids, always always put them in the back seat!

Edited by mello dude