dorifto240

UPDATES:

The date is changed to April 16th!

2pm Entries Arrive

3pm Judging Begins

4pm Opens To Public

6pm Awards

9pm Ends

Please email: somethingcreativecolumbus@gmail.com to register BY APRIL 2ND!

We hatched this idea after one too many cups of coffee, and a serious lack of sleep.

The Econo-Chop Challenge.

April 1st is the day of the show. I'll be posting updates as we hammer out the final details, it's basically a show up on Friday with your build, have fun, make friends, influence people event. The show is in Columbus, but it's open to anyone.

Here are the rules:

Rule #1

The total cost, including the bike is $500.00. Yes that reads “including the bike.” This is an ECONO-chop Challenge.

Rule #2

The bike must run. Not “almost run,” or “sort of run,” or “it turns over, but something’s wrong with the carbs” run. Run. As in start, idle, rev, move forward, etc etc etc.

Rule #3

You must show a bill of sale and the accompanying advertisement (craigslist, ebay, etc) of the bike to verify the price you paid. I’m not going to believe you if you show up with a brand new ZX-14 and say you paid $100 for it.

Rule #4

One item per bike is allowed to be donated. A motor is comprised of many different items, and as such is not an individual item in and of itself.

Rule #5

Creativity reigns supreme.

Rule #6

The judges reserve the right to check and/or re-value any part they believe to have been misreported. Ebay will be the final source of information regarding a parts value. (Come on, it’s called the ECONO-chop Challenge)

Rule #7

Bribery of the judges is encouraged. Budget for “beer money” accordingly.

Awards will be given:

Best In Show - Overall winner

People’s Choice - Voted on by the attendees

Cheap as S*%T - Least amount of money spent

Cool as F%&K - Determined entirely by the judges

The Sweetawesome Award - The bike voted the best by the builders themselves.

Think of it as an invitation to get crazy this winter, and teams are allowed to compete as well.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask here or message.

The Blog: News, Updates, Photos, And More!

Edited by dorifto240
To Include Updated Information!
  • Upvote 1

You forgot the top prize of "Biggest FOOL in Ohio" for building a beater to take to Columbus just for there to be no such "show". Or is this being held on April Fool's Day just a coincidence?:dunno:

Edited by 20thGix
Grammar

Almost sounds like the rules for the $500 24 hours of lemons race car series.

This, but a bike knockoff. You don't need coffee and "serious lack of sleep" to twist someone else's ideas into yours. But I will give you props for trying to organize people around a common "cause", get-togethers are usually fun.

I'm going back to sipping on my Haterade, it's only 1/2 gone.

Love the idea. I have 2 clear titled frames. Stay under $500? That's the tough one. I have an 82 Honda FT500 motor, turns with the starter, good compression with no wiring harness if anybody needs it. I'll be on the lookout for a paralel twin or old air cooled inline 4 bike aslong as al the parts are there, if I can find one, I'm in. What's the end date for this deal?

Love the idea. I have 2 clear titled frames. Stay under $500? That's the tough one. I have an 82 Honda FT500 motor, turns with the starter, good compression with no wiring harness if anybody needs it. I'll be on the lookout for a paralel twin or old air cooled inline 4 bike aslong as al the parts are there, if I can find one, I'm in. What's the end date for this deal?

April First (Yes, it is April Fool's no this is not a joke) is the day of the show. That's when the bike has to be done. We're nailing down the final schedule but it's going to be: Bikes show up for judging, everything is looked over, builders vote on the best bike, show starts, drinks are enjoyed, fun is had, awards are given, the party doesn't stop until the sun comes up.

You forgot the top prize of "Biggest FOOL in Ohio" for building a beater to take to Columbus just for there to be no such "show". Or is this being held on April Fool's Day just a coincidence?:dunno:

It is just a coincidence, hopefully there won't be too many beaters, unless they're the well loved, well ridden kind.

It is just a coincidence, hopefully there won't be too many beaters, unless they're the well loved, well ridden kind.

If your rules would allow for my project that i already have i would be interested in showing up.

If your rules would allow for my project that i already have i would be interested in showing up.

As long as you're under $500 total budget, and the bike runs: you're in!

What do we need to consider/reconsider to make you eligible?

This looks like my bike is a shoe in for :lol:

Bring a few cases of beer to sway the judges and you could win something!

question on the 500 bucks thing, i have a 78 cb750 that was a gift will they come up with a price on it or are they only figuring actual out of pocket? Is this a any type of bike build, or just choppers and cruisers?

Actual out of pocket expense. Just bring something that can show it was a gift (letter, a photo of the bike with a bow on it, etc. Nothing crazy) and you're set.

It's any type of bike, I think two guys are going to build a drag scooter.

Didnt know if there was a limited timeframe for the build.

Nope! Bring it down and see if you win!

sounds similiar to the dirtbag challenge, but their limit is 1000 bucks AND there is only a one month build time

dirtbagchallenge.com

some sweet bikes in their gallery

Thanks, I'll have to check them out. The time limit might be something to consider for next year.

• 2 weeks later...
hey dorifto, sell me your yamahammer for $200 and I'll participate.

I've dropped the price already on craigslist(cheap bastards), $400 and a case of beer and (maybe, depends on the beer) you've got a deal.

It's a shoe-in winner already man, I can't just give it away!

I've dropped the price already on craigslist(cheap bastards), $400 and a case of beer and (maybe, depends on the beer) you've got a deal.

It's a shoe-in winner already man, I can't just give it away!

I'll think about it. May do a deal on somethin' else.

Question: If you buy a bike for $400 but sell $200 worth of parts off of it, does that give you $300 to spend on the modification. Basically as long as the Net expense is still $500, is it ok?