Cleveland Cyclewerks: $3195 for 16hp and 12ft*lbs of cafe racer

Disclaimer

Listen, I think it is cool he wants to get something out there similar to what a cafe racer is, but think about this...

Through the years, there have been PLENTY of Chinese machines that incorporate some cool looking features like his upside down forks, "wavey" rotors as he calls them, etc.

I'll use pitbikes as an example. There was a cool company that actually went to China and watched over and QCd their product from China. The idea was they offered a CRF50 with upside down forks, bigger front wheel, better hydro brakes front and rear, piggy back rear shock and tall seat and bars with 125cc motor and FMF styled exhaust.

Thing was baller and it ran rather well. BUT... Big but, here... the thing fell apart all the time. While the company was always good about standing behind the product (I actually got a free replacement frame and a buddy got a new motor), it was still an issue of things breaking and parts just not as dependable and not near the tolerances of the Japanese counter parts...

The thing is that the Chinese are making a lot of things for the Japanese like Kaw's and Suzuki's little ATVs, etc. These are top end Chinese companies and they are still not the quality as seen by the Japanese, but being in the smaller units, they are less to being abused and are not needing the tech as seen on the bigger units...

Point is simple. It's going to be VERY tough to convince people to buy a Chinese no name machine without a name brand engine for only $800 (at retail) than a Japanese bike. Not to mention when other smaller bikes are heading this way (Shameless plug for the KTM 125s and 250s...) for maybe $1k more at most. Plus, add the Honda and the association of quality that is related to that brand.

It's going to be tough and with the surge of cafe racer bikes being seen lately, it is still not a market that is huge here in the US. Plus, one of the cool things about cafe racers is the fact that you build it and ride it. An accomplishment that is tangible... Not bought...

If I was in the market for something that size I would spend $500 more for the Suzuki TU250X and be more confident in making it to my destination.

The Chinese are getting better but still have a ways to go before getting anywhere near the quality of the Japanese or European offerings. Harley laughed at Honda in 1969 when they released the CB 750 and by 1982 Harley would have been out of business if Uncle Sam didn't step in and bail them out and put tariffs on import bikes over 700cc's.

Listen, I think it is cool he wants to get something out there similar to what a cafe racer is, but think about this...

Through the years, there have been PLENTY of Chinese machines that incorporate some cool looking features like his upside down forks, "wavey" rotors as he calls them, etc.

I'll use pitbikes as an example. There was a cool company that actually went to China and watched over and QCd their product from China. The idea was they offered a CRF50 with upside down forks, bigger front wheel, better hydro brakes front and rear, piggy back rear shock and tall seat and bars with 125cc motor and FMF styled exhaust.

Thing was baller and it ran rather well. BUT... Big but, here... the thing fell apart all the time. While the company was always good about standing behind the product (I actually got a free replacement frame and a buddy got a new motor), it was still an issue of things breaking and parts just not as dependable and not near the tolerances of the Japanese counter parts...

The thing is that the Chinese are making a lot of things for the Japanese like Kaw's and Suzuki's little ATVs, etc. These are top end Chinese companies and they are still not the quality as seen by the Japanese, but being in the smaller units, they are less to being abused and are not needing the tech as seen on the bigger units...

Point is simple. It's going to be VERY tough to convince people to buy a Chinese no name machine without a name brand engine for only $800 (at retail) than a Japanese bike. Not to mention when other smaller bikes are heading this way (Shameless plug for the KTM 125s and 250s...) for maybe $1k more at most. Plus, add the Honda and the association of quality that is related to that brand.

It's going to be tough and with the surge of cafe racer bikes being seen lately, it is still not a market that is huge here in the US. Plus, one of the cool things about cafe racers is the fact that you build it and ride it. An accomplishment that is tangible... Not bought...

are you saying that chinese and japanese people are not the same??? all asians are the same bro

9.30.09-ROR-Raff-Out-Roud.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just learned about this company today and I really like the misfit. Been getting into the cafe racer thing lately. And even though it has only 16 HP, does anyone know how heavy it is? Because that could make quite a bit of difference if it weighs less than the other bikes.

Edit: Found the answer on the link from the OP and completely passed over the post with the chart lol

The Misfit weighs 80lbs less than a Ninja 250 and, according to Scott, can pull power wheelies in first and second gear.

Sounds like a quick bike to me. Would have to test ride one to know.

Edited by JStump

Horsepower will be more determinative of top speed. With torque and the right gearing, you can make any bike pretty "quick."

But for the money, I could get a wrecked ninja 250 of GS500 (no radiator to ugly things up) and have better reliability, and plenty of cash left over to make it cooler...

Horsepower will be more determinative of top speed. With torque and the right gearing, you can make any bike pretty "quick."

But for the money, I could get a wrecked ninja 250 of GS500 (no radiator to ugly things up) and have better reliability, and plenty of cash left over to make it cooler...

But I want a cafe racer, not a naked ninja lol