And we see how this administration appreciates the troops

RVTPilot

Couldn't read the link while at work but I am betting that i pay a hell of a lot more than 28% in taxes. I only bring home about 65% of my check but granted health insurance and my 401k (that will one day be taxed) come out too. I also pay rather high property taxes here and them add in all the sales tax and various fees and I am way over that 28%

Bigger than the raise I've been getting. But I'm just a civilian.

If only those GOP guys would let those tax cuts expire for the top 2% of America, we could probably afford to pay those servicemen and women a decent raise.

3489255980_d747bdb1d5.jpg

4524250851_8a16aebb74.jpg

4815693749_7c8ff79936.jpg

Am I having a Yogi Berra Matrix moment... Or did you make this same comment & have this same argument last year??

• 2 weeks later...

Most members of this forum sympathize, but...

Some people see the 1.4% raise in the headlines, and may think

"At least they are getting something during this recession, when so many aren't."

Well, consider this:

- The 1.4% raise is only one part of a servicemember's pay. Although I'm grandfathered in, housing pay for members my rank went DOWN 4.8% (approx $60) in Dayton. So in effect, many troops this year will lose benefits or break even.

- Compared to civilian counterparts, active duty servicemembers can't just quit/go out and find a new/better paying job.

- With the constant moves associated with the military and neverending deployments. Spouses have an extremely difficult time building a career. They often must settle for entry-level positions at their new home, or part-time to manage a 1 parent household.

- Owning a home is the biggest investment a person can make in their future. With all of those moves, it is extremely difficult for most to make that investment. Thus, cutting a servicemember's potential worth/stability even more, compared to civilian.

Sorry for the rant. I just needed to vent some. I love being enlisted in the USAF. 13 years in and plan for 17 more.:)