Ok, Who's the Idiot?

flounder

I have always thought people who ride scooters in the snow are insane. I almost ran over a girl with my bus because she bit it on a blind turn while ridding a scooter in the snow. I thought I was going to have a heart attack at 21. She had a little bit of shock but was able to stand up right away, I called paramedics anyways.

Weren't you just telling that story Sat. at the OR lunch?

Yeah' date=' because I'm 7 years old... that's gonna' work. :rolleyes:[/quote']

I thought it would! :D

So when you say "When I do it, I am an idiot" was just joking? Strange to use Casey as an example of spinning up the rear and sliding out of a turn and then you say when you do it...

Guess I missed something or that was a really bad example... At least you are honest enough to realize you don't...

I wasn't joking about I am an idiot if caught riding like that because if I was it certainly would be outside of my skill set and would be out of control. When Casey does it it's a controlled slide and it is not him acting like an idiot.

People riding on back country roads at 50 M.P.H. getting passed by people who are going 70 M.P.H. on sport bikes think the people passing them are idiots but I would venture to say most of them are under control.

The guy riding in the snow appears to have a sufficient skill set to be doing so and we have no proof to debate otherwise except for someone’s assessment of his actions.

Not all assessments of others actions are based in truth but are based on their perceptions of truth which don't apply to everyone.

• Upvote 1

I wasn't joking about I am an idiot if caught riding like that because if I was it certainly would be outside of my skill set and would be out of control. When Casey does it it's a controlled slide and it is not him acting like an idiot.

People riding on back country roads at 50 M.P.H. getting passed by people who are going 70 M.P.H. on sport bikes think the people passing them are idiots but I would venture to say most of them are under control.

The guy riding in the snow appears to have a sufficient skill set to be doing so and we have no proof to debate otherwise except for someone’s assessment of his actions.

Not all assessments of others actions are based in truth but are based on their perceptions of truth which don't apply to everyone.

I'd rep you, but the skipy rule prevents it, and I doubt you really care about rep anyway.

...Do you really think a scooter with 10inch wheels and dog shit for tread should be out riding in this?

I think it'd be fun. As light and nimble as small scoots are, I'd rock one in the snow! Not real sure about riding down 33,

but hey if he was confident enough more power to him! :scooter:

I think it'd be fun. As light and nimble as small scoots are' date=' I'd rock one in the snow! Not real sure about riding down 33,

but hey if he was confident enough more power to him! :scooter:[/quote']

see thats the thing. its all about acceptable level of risk.

what you think is an acceptable level may be different from what i will accept.

some people think riding a scooter in the snow is a dumb thing to do...

well some people think riding a motorcycle or scooter AT ALL is a dumb thing to do, and its guaranteed to get you killed.

they are not "right" or "wrong". they are just not willing to accept that level of risk. '

some people think jumping out of an airplane is a retarded thing to do, and some people cant wait to go do it.

bottom line this guy wasnt hurting anyone anymore than any other vehicle on the road on a snowy day.

yeah you can say "what if he wrecks, what if he gets run over"... we can play the "what if" game all day long. that doesnt get you anywhere at all.

• Upvote 1

bottom line this guy wasnt hurting anyone anymore than any other vehicle on the road on a snowy day.

+1

One thing no one has suggested directly is the idea that he might not have had another mode of transportation available. If I HAD to get somewhere and a vespa was all I had I guess I'd be riding a vespa in the snow.:rolleyes:

+1

One thing no one has suggested directly is the idea that he might not have had another mode of transportation available. If I HAD to get somewhere and a vespa was all I had I guess I'd be riding a vespa in the snow.:rolleyes:

Yep, I've met a few people that ran into car problems in the winter and ended up riding there bikes until they could afford to get the car fixed. Having a good pair of boots to slide along each side of the bike, as stabilizers, is important.

Page 1, post 8

What if that's is only mode of transportation?

Way more ignorant people on this board then I had originally thought. For those of you that actually think what he was doing was smart and safe, please remind me of that if we are ever on the same ride because I want to make sure not to ride with you because you seem to be lacking even the smallest amount of common sense.

I said I didnt have a problem with the DS riders but this was not the case here. I like how you all argue that he is being safe. Thats the equivalent of dancing in the middle of 71. How is it that you will all sit back and preach all day about wearing safety gear but yet you think this is ok?

Just sad..

The mentality here has steadily gone down hill. Ignorance is bliss and there are a lot of happy people in this thread.

• Upvote 1

Way more ignorant people on this board then I had originally thought. For those of you that actually think what he was doing was smart and safe, please remind me of that if we are ever on the same ride because I want to make sure not to ride with you because you seem to be lacking even the smallest amount of common sense.

some people think its not smart or safe to even get on a motorcycle at all. :rolleyes:

doesnt mean they are right. doesnt mean you are right about this either. there IS no right or wrong. they are willing to accept the risks that come with riding in the snow, you are not. whooptie freakin doo.

Were I feeling contentious I would likely comment that, rather than ignorance and lack of common sense, most of the derision in this thread is critical of the hall monitor attitude of the few who spend their time and energy worrying about what everyone else is doing.

Were laws being broken? Perhaps-- depending on interpretations. Maybe the OP et al. should campaign to the State government to enact more specific legislation and stiffer penalties toward those guilty of such perceived recklessness.

To each their own.

…But, feeling neither the antagonism nor compulsion to go there, I will refrain from making such comments.

I said I didnt have a problem with the DS riders but this was not the case here. I like how you all argue that he is being safe. Thats the equivalent of dancing in the middle of 71. How is it that you will all sit back and preach all day about wearing safety gear but yet you think this is ok?

Just sad..

The mentality here has steadily gone down hill. Ignorance is bliss and there are a lot of happy people in this thread.

Assessing people as ignorant just because they don't have the same risk values as you is narrow minded and not a very good measuring stick for ignorance. In fact using your method to me seems quite ignorant, just because he was taking more risks than you would doesn't make him ignorant, just different.

I mitigate risk factors when I ride by where and when I choose to speed along with the gear I wear or don’t wear. By your standards if others choose to ride differently either they are ignorant or I am and both are hardly the truth. I will shut a ride down if someone is stunting in the middle of a group out riding the back roads because I think it's too much of a risk factor for the safety of others on the ride. I will also follow the stunters out and watch them do their thing because the way they go about it is usually safe for those involved. In both cases people observing will call the groups insane or ignorant but they are only drawing from their own ignorance to put that label on them.

I have no idea if this guy was being safe or not and neither do you. He may have gotten lucky that day or he is practiced at riding in the snow. You can even see your way clear to see a DS taking on the challenge and I might guess that's because you have some experience on a DS. To label him ignorant when you have no idea about his experience is not the smartest thing I have ever heard of.

We won't miss you on any of the group rides you miss especially if you try to make us run the group backwards from slowest up front to fastest in the rear.

God I love the winter.

I think you are reading to much into peoples replies that don't necessarily agree with you.

I don't think anyone actually said what he was doing was safe or smart. Many just don't think it's a big deal. If he wants to do it, so be it.

Just because someone doesn't share you opinion or feeling doesn't mean they feel what he was doing was safe or smart.

I never said it was safe or smart, I only said I'd try it. If we still had my wife's 150cc I'd probably give it a go (around the neighborhood anyway).

Uncle Punk,

I consider you a smart guy and respect your opinion however I have a hard time when the people here cant see the common sense factor of what this guy was doing. My ignorance comment was directed towards the "ignorance is bliss" statement I made later in my post. I wasnt actually meaning to call anyone ignorant. Oblivious, yeah maybe that's a better reference. As far as my opinion on slowest to fastest, yes I stick by that. In a normal situation you would run fastest to slowest and that normal situation being obeying the speed limits. Now when you have guys running down a twisty public road at 100mph+, things change. Youve already introduced bad behavior into a already risky environment and you have people worried about being left behind or making them look bad because they are not that fast. Thus they try and keep up with someone better/faster then them and cant which usually results in them loosing control and crashing or hitting another rider from behind when they come around a corner and dont realize people have slowed down. Ive seen it happen and have had it happen numerous times. Pretty bad when Ive had to dodge people coming up behind me because all they know how to do is twist the throttle. So be it.

We all have our opinions. It just amazes me there is so little common sense for safety about what he was doing. He wasnt someone who was slowly trying to get home after being stuck in a storm, he was running 35-40mph in shitty conditions that cars wouldnt even drive the same speed.

Would you let your 16 yr old son out on his scooter in weather like that? Im sure the answers will be yes just to try and prove a point but I think the real answer may be different.

If the comments here are more towards letting the guy do what he wants, Im fine with that and would agree. If the comments are towards people feeling that what he was doing was actually safe, well then, i disagree.

If the comments here are more towards letting the guy do what he wants, Im fine with that and would agree. If the comments are towards people feeling that what he was doing was actually safe, well then, i disagree.

HOLY COW!!! You've FINALLY gotten around to saying exactly the same thing I have! You've just used different words.

I said something about riding a scooter in the snow is not something that I would be likely to do (more likely to after this thread though:D) and that I doubt there are any laws against it, and I'm not for making laws to protect people from themselves, or legislating common sense.

And to the comment about slower riders in the fron ton group rides: Most, if not all of the rides I've been on it has been said that the slower riders need not try to keep up if it's beyond their abilities, that the group WILL wait. Myself, I would not like having a knowingly faster rider behind me, having the feeling that I was holding them up, without someone in front of me running good lines to learn from. It is my opinion, and I understand why you have your opinion on the matter. Neither is going to be a perfect solution by any stretch of the imagination.

HOLY COW!!! You've FINALLY gotten around to saying exactly the same thing I have! You've just used different words..

But he said it, not you. We accept what he says and many others. When you type it's is disregarded, overlooked, dismissed etc because you never really add anything useful and your humor usually misses it's mark, fail sauce really. ;)

You Fucker how is this ever going to get moved to R&R if you keep defending you stance with thought out replies.

The backwards group riding thing was meant to add some levity and we hashed that out already in the other thread. I would like to hear about your results running groups like that though maybe we can learn something from it.

I was taking exception to you calling me ignorant because of this thread; you can call me that but not for disagreeing with you on this guy’s assessment.

People ride in the rain and I try not to, doesn't make them crazy or me less of a rider. I have ridden in the rain when I needed to and adjusted accordingly. This guy was probably doing the same, something I would or wouldn't do only depends on my circumstances at the time.

No I wouldn't want my 16 year old to do that but wouldn't be surprised if he did. 16 is just stupid from the time they wake up until they are back sleeping. For that matter I wouldn't want them to ride at all because I know the risks and am selfish in not wanting to see them hurt.

New thread title "Scooter in the snow?" and you are going to get different replies. Crazy, not me, looks like fun, dangerous and even idiot but to defend calling him an idiot is only good for 12 pages.

How did your engraving turn out? Did you make it all in a straight line or around the diameter?

Couldnt find someone willing to engrave it since it was a tube and stainless. Started to stamp it and said the hell with it. Settled on Electrochemically Etching it and in the process of getting the stencils as we speak.