IEM discussion thread

psyco1

A lot of people like riding with music, some with in ear phones that block out noise. If you don't like that, this probably isn't the thread for you, this is for discussing what In Ear Monitors work for riding.

I'm going to throw out a couple of links with a buttload of IEM reviews right off the bat.

This one has 127 reviews right now and he's still adding.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-127-iems-compared-db-logic-ep-100-skullcandy-fmj-added-12-17

Another one.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/450407/multiple-iem-shootout-v-3

Disclaimer:Quite a few of people at head-fi buy into a lot of audiophile BS hokus pokus, like $3000 cables pulled from angels asses are better than the stock ones or power from nuclear plants make your system sound worse than an oil fired plant, you get the idea. I'm not one of them and these two reviews seem to keep that to a minimum.

Personally, I love being able to put on music that fits the ride, Metallica-Fuel on a tight twisty or maybe Steely Dan when I'm just tooling along on a long trip makes the ride much easier, for me anyway.

I used to have a pair of Etymotic ER-4p until they died:(, the best, most detailed phones I've ever had, including the full sized once top of the line Sennheiser HD-580, so that's saying a lot. Unfortunately, they wouldn't work too well under a helmet, since they stick out waaay too far.

I bought a set of JVC HA-FX34 Marshmallows for $20 to use under the helmet, now sure there was a let down coming from the Etys to these while listening at home, but in reality a lot of that awesome detail would be lost to the background engine & wind noise anyway, on top of that the JVCs have more bass, even though it's boomier, less detailed and bleeds into the mids bass, it makes up for what gets drowned out by the backgeound noise.

Comfort was an issue at first for extended periods, then I pulled out the plastic sleeve on the inside of the foam tip, much better. Isolation was enough to block out the worst of the noise, but not great. I'd give them a 4 or 5/10.

Fast forward a year or two, I started wanting some of that Ety detail back, as the ER-4p's weren't all that great for riding, I went with their less expensive sibling http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolator-Earphones-Black/dp/B000BQSGMM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292684836&sr=1-1 when I found them for $60. While they don't have the bass of the JVC phones, they do have a lot more detail and fit with a very low profile, I haven't had any trouble sliding the helmet on and knocking these loose. Isolation is great, better than some ear plugs I've used. I'd give them a solid 7/10.

A few days ago, I received a set of http://www.amazon.com/HeadDirect-RE0-HEAD-DIRECT-In-ear-Headphones/dp/B001MQ8BL6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292687233&sr=1-1 and my initial impressions are pretty good so far, I'll give a review when I get some more listening time in and if the thread doesn't die.

In the last couple of years mp3 players, cell phones that play music well and netbook/laptops have become so common you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one and with that this market segment has exploded. Types designed to be worn with the cable over the ear or straight down, different kinds of tips for just about any ear so you can get that seal right, hell, some companies make aftermarket tips. The variety of construction materials goes all over the place, plastic, aluminum, titanium, silicone, even wood.

When I bought the ER-4's you were pretty much stuck with Etymotic, Shure, Ultimate Ears, Wellstone or cheap junk, now I couldn't tell you how many makers are out there.

If you want to throw out any questions, reviews or just want to BS about IEM's, fire away.

Edited by psyco1

skull candy ink'd... cause they are cheap and I have a habit of breaking headphones...

oh,and the passive sound suppression is excellent, and the sound quality very good.

I can use them on board jet aircraft. The only passive headphones I've found that do that. So yes, they work well on a motorcycle.

You guys using the stock single flange tips or foam aftermarkets, like the Comply tips?

http://www.complyfoam.com

I've never been able to get a decent fit with any single flange, guess I have a weird ear canal.

I currently use the ones that came with it but have been considering getting some foam ones. My left ear seems to fit the given sizes well but for some reason my right ear is a bit more stubborn and I have a hard time finding the right size for it to stay put. Hands down though, this Asym's have been the best option I've found

I seem to have non symmetrical canals too, my left one has often needs to be reinserted to get a seal, the RE0's have two sizes of bi-flanges, I tried using a larger one for the left, but that just felt fucked up, so I put a large on the right too and have been inserting them upside down so that cartilage flap on the front of the ear holds everything in place. So far, so good.

I currently use the ones that came with it but have been considering getting some foam ones. My left ear seems to fit the given sizes well but for some reason my right ear is a bit more stubborn and I have a hard time finding the right size for it to stay put. Hands down though, this Asym's have been the best option I've found

I have the asym's and used the comply tips, I have to wear a bandana to keep anything in when I put on my helmet. If you get them in just right they are awesome but 99.999999999% they fall halfway our of my ear withing the first 100ft.

I have the asym's and used the comply tips, I have to wear a bandana to keep anything in when I put on my helmet. If you get them in just right they are awesome but 99.999999999% they fall halfway our of my ear withing the first 100ft.

see thats how my jvc marshmallows were as well as regular apple earbuds but so far the asyms are the best. It usually takes a lot of me turning my head at stop signs and what not for the right one to completely fall out

See, that's the thing.

Everyone has different ears and what works for some may not work for others. For instance, I found the ER6 better than the JVC in everything except bass quantity(definitely not quality) and maaaybe durability, I've only had the ER6 for a bit more than a year, so I guess I'm still evaluating long term.

See, that's the thing.

Everyone has different ears and what works for some may not work for others. For instance, I found the ER6 better than the JVC in everything except bass quantity(definitely not quality) and maaaybe durability, I've only had the ER6 for a bit more than a year, so I guess I'm still evaluating long term.

The first thread is asking what everyone uses.