Full Size Carry

Mykill

Does any carry a full size gun? I already own a M&P 9mm and I want to get my CHL here in a few months. I was wondering if it is possible/comfortable to carry a full size (I'm 6'4" 230) and how to carry it (IWB/OWB). Or should I just look to get a compact of some sort?

I'm sorry, Mr. Government Agent, all of my guns were in a safe on my boat, I hit a big wave, and the safe (with ALL of my guns in it) went overboard and sank...

Full size 4" carry IWB with a Crossbreed Supertuck is no problem for me, 5'10", 170#. Awaiting a Supertuck for my Government-size (5") 1911; will let you know how that works out. I place the holster at about 4:30 on my waist.

If you have a good gun belt that supports the holster well, IWB carry shouldn't be an issue. Galco and Crossbreed make fine gun belts, I'm sure there are others.

KHolster, Crossbreed (Supertuck), and Galco (King Tuk) all make a nearly identical IWB holster; Kydex, big leather back, and adjustable belt clips.

It is very possible to carry a full size gun, I know of a girl who carries a full size Kimber 1911 and she is 5'5" at most and probably 115 lbs soaking wet.

IMO some of the most important factors you choose your firearm whether its a sub or full-size is can you handle it safely and shoot it accurately?

/Rant If you have 13+1 and two spare mags on habd but can't shoot for shit then..you have a nice paperweight or possible melee tool. /off rant

IWB/OWB is preferential to your comfort and abilities to get to your firearm IMO use the one that works best for you, there is no reason to just use one style of carrying , Like Kawi kid said its easier to carry a larger gun in the winter.

Personally I thought i would never carry IWb because of my skinny frame however its how I prefer to carry, but it's because my IWB holster is excellent.

Mykill, Tthere are two other very important factors when you start to carry your choice of firearm on a regular basis and they are Holsters and Belts.

1. You want to make sure that you get a good quality holster that has excellent retention but still allows for a smooth draw. You also want to make sure it has two location that attach it to yur belt this way the weight f the gun is disributed evenly and the holster doesn't shift positions on you. It would suck to try to draw in a stressful situation and your firearm is not where is should be.

2. Make sure you get a good quality belt so that your firearm doesn't drag on you or flop around again making sure your firearm is where it is supposed to be. You can buy some nice thick belts (iv'e heard ) in Amish country and there are plentyof places online.

I hate carrying a full size. I think I am uncomfortable because I know it's there and I feel like everyone else does too. So I carry a smaller gun. A lot of people make fun of it, but it's all in what you are comfortable carrying. Maybe after carrying the smaller one I will get use to it and go bigger, not sure.

Be a man and fight with your fists. :nono:

back in the day (for me, not for you old bastards), brass knuckles or a roll of nickels was the way to go....once you get outta high school, the stakes go up a little bit though....i still have my brass knuckles in my nightstand, even though i have no idea where i would ever carry them or why lol...theyre just there to look pretty i guess

**edit - of course, when i say brass knuckle, i actually mean my "novelty belt buckles"....

Edited by Steve Butters

KHolster, Crossbreed (Supertuck), and Galco (King Tuk) all make a nearly identical IWB holster; Kydex, big leather back, and adjustable belt clips.

Minotaur MTAC is also nice, it's what I carry and the kydex is interchangeable if you would want to use the same holster for multiple different weapons. It also doesn't have the religious propaganda like the crossbreed.....

back in the day (for me, not for you old bastards), brass knuckles or a roll of nickels was the way to go....

What the fuck do you mean "Back in the Day?"

YOURE 20 YEARS OLD!!!

Edited by jagr

I'll look into the holsters and belts. Kawi ill let you know if I need the Amish belts. I would like to try to carry but If it's too big I'll get a compact. Is there any good places to take the course? Powder room by me offers it at $200 I believe.

1) You can never have too many guns, so go for the compact too.

2) If it's an either-or situation, carry the full size for a while before you decide. Know that no matter what you carry those first few weeks after you get your license.... everyone knows you're packing, everyone is looking at you, and you ARE touching it too much. It's a paranoia not felt since.... well.... that one time I got that Mexican skunk weed and then used my brother's ID for beer. They knew.... oh yes, they knew.