Resume without a cover letter or professional summary

redkow97

I'm breathing smoke as I type this, but it's the 'ranting and raving' section, so i suppose that's to be expected.

Just got a note back from our career services department (at school) that I have to modify my resume and remove my "professional summary," because it's "more appropriate for a cover letter."

well no shit. Yesterday you told me that I was not permitted to submit a cover letter, so I added the "professional summary" to put my work experience in context. Now I'm told that it has to be removed?

what the fuck?

Now all i'm submitting to this company is a bunch of bullet-points that say where I went to undergrad, what I've done in law school, and and what jobs I've held between the two. How in the hell can they even HOPE to make an educated decision about who to interview based on a list???

If they wanted to make this whole application process purely mathematical and just interview the 4 or 5 people with the highest class rank, that would have been fine - but that's not how it's going down. Instead I spent a bunch of time revising a resume that will now most likely be thrown in the trash.

teh bullet points of my work and school experience aren't impressive. My cover letter would have been. This is the most retarded hiring/application process ever.

I may as well just withdraw my resume, because there's no point in submitting it.

i didn't realize a career services department would want to send a resume with LESS detail. are they sending these things off to law firms on your behalf, or are they providing a list of possible interns pre-screened or what? do law firms not accept resumes sent by individuals?

Honestly, the most important part of the resume is the top 1/3 of the page. If I'm not interested by then, I toss it. I could care less where you went to school and what you studied. I want to know why you're qualified for the position. If I'm interested by reading the top 1/3 of the resume, I'll then continue reading the rest. Remember, the people reading your resume are also reading hundreds of others. Just my two cents. I'm so thankful I don't have to read resumes anymore. :lol:

Honestly, the most important part of the resume is the top 1/3 of the page. If I'm not interested by then, I toss it. I could care less where you went to school and what you studied. I want to know why you're qualified for the position. If I'm interested by reading the top 1/3 of the resume, I'll then continue reading the rest. Remember, the people reading your resume are also reading hundreds of others. Just my two cents. I'm so thankful I don't have to read resumes anymore. :lol:

I would think a law firm would like to know that you studied law. With the competitive nature of Law Schools I would also deem it important to know what school he went to.

Generally people who don't give much thought to where a person went to school or studied, don't have degrees anyways

I would think a law firm would like to know that you studied law. With the competitive nature of Law Schools I would also deem it important to know what school he went to.
If I have 300 resumes to go through for one position, I read the top 1/3 or so of each resume. If I'm not interested by then, it gets tossed. If I'm interested, then it hits another pile. This second pile gets a more thorough reading. Any resume class will tell you the same thing. Interest them in the first 1/3 of your resume or your chances drop drastically. This is why schooling is always towards the bottom of the resume. For a position where it's required, it's assumed you wouldn't have applied anyways without a degree and most/all application systems weed those without degrees out of the qualified applicants anyways. The difference between schools and majors might effect a choice between multiple candidates, but it doesn't get your resume into the second pile.
Generally people who don't give much thought to where a person went to school or studied, don't have degrees anyways
Read any resume tips website. Here's the first one from a quick Google search: http://www.free-resume-tips.com/10tips.html
With employers receiving hundreds of resumes you must make sure that your resume hooks an employer's attention within a 5-second glance.

Where you went to school and what you studied doesn't get you to the 2nd pile. Sorry, it just doesn't.

If I have 300 resumes to go through for one position, I read the top 1/3 or so of each resume. If I'm not interested by then, it gets tossed. If I'm interested, then it hits another pile. This second pile gets a more thorough reading. Any resume class will tell you the same thing. Interest them in the first 1/3 of your resume or your chances drop drastically. This is why schooling is always towards the bottom of the resume. For a position where it's required, it's assumed you wouldn't have applied anyways without a degree and most/all application systems weed those without degrees out of the qualified applicants anyways. The difference between schools and majors might effect a choice between multiple candidates, but it doesn't get your resume into the second pile.

Read any resume tips website. Here's the first one from a quick Google search: http://www.free-resume-tips.com/10tips.html

Where you went to school and what you studied doesn't get you to the 2nd pile. Sorry, it just doesn't.

If you just finished school it goes on the top.

In the IT field, I could give a rat's @ss where you went to school - it's what you've done professionally that matters. And if it takes you 6 pages (not kidding) to build a resume', guess what? I'm not reading it.

Since law is basically an "Old Boys Network", where you went to school matters.

GSXRNurse had recruiters calling her before she even stepped foot into class. 30 months before graduation. I guess they care what school she went to.

Same with CSCC, Chamberlain, and Mount Carmel nursing students. I think that has more to do with the nursing field in short supply of candidates, not the school.

Same with CSCC, Chamberlain, and Mount Carmel nursing students. I think that has more to do with the nursing field in short supply of candidates, not the school.

Did you just pull that out of your ass? I think you did because the old lady works for OSUMC, mount carmel , and grant and none of them are recruiting nurses before graduation.

There isn't much of a shortage of CRNA's but they are still calling her because she is in a good school. Her friends at other colleges are not getting the same calls.

Did you just pull that out of your ass? I think you did because the old lady works for OSUMC, mount carmel , and grant and none of them are recruiting nurses before graduation.

There isn't much of a shortage of CRNA's but they are still calling her because she is in a good school. Her friends at other colleges are not getting the same calls.

Nothing pulled out of my ass. I know a few hospitals in Toledo are even offering signing bonuses. The U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps offers a $25k bonus to nurses who sign a 4-year active duty contract. They'll also help pay off the loans from nursing school. :dunno:

Nothing pulled out of my ass. I know a few hospitals in Toledo are even offering signing bonuses. The U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps offers a $25k bonus to nurses who sign a 4-year active duty contract. They'll also help pay off the loans from nursing school. :dunno:

offering a signing bonus and recruiting before you even set foot in class are two different things. When she was at mount carmel most of the students were able to interview a month or two before graduation.

At Otterbien they started calling before her first day of class. When you get into six figure jobs it is a bit different

offering a signing bonus and recruiting before you even set foot in class are two different things. When she was at mount carmel most of the students were able to interview a month or two before graduation.

At Otterbien they started calling before her first day of class. When you get into six figure jobs it is a bit different

I misread your post. I didn't catch the before she started the class part, and that's my bad. For some reason I read it as before she graduated. That's my bad. I apologize.

I think the "bullet point" only type resume, is for feeding to a computer scan and auto sort by a computer for buzz words. It been that way with larger companies for a while. I also think it's odd that the computer program can't handle whatever it's given. So perhaps it's being input manually, and bullet points just make it sooo much easier for them.

Almost everything is computer input and analysis anymore.

And the old fashioned way, that cover letter rocks. HR would typically take the stack of resumes/covers, and toss them on the floor. Yes, No, and sometimes a Maybe. The No pile is really big. The Yes pile is small and where you want to be. Average time spent on each: way under 10 seconds...

my opinion: yes, a resume should have a professional summary. And have a cover letter that rocks. I think the latest trend is no cover letter, and submit resume as data file only. Word doc preferred. All are reviewed on line by those that pick and hire. No one sees the paper anymore.

Set your resume up with relevant buzz words. It's like playing the lottery.