Help Windows 7 laptop webpages not displayed

scottb

I have a laptop running Windows 7. I have more experience with Windows XP, so Win7 is kinda new to me.

Can not get to webpages from the address bar while using Internet Explore or Firefox. Does not matter if it is the hardwired connection or through wireless.

When I type an address in the address barr sch as www.google.com, I get the standard "page can not be displayed" and the address bar shows http:/// and above that is "invalid webpage"

My 2 other computer on my network are functional.

The odd thing, I can connect to Windows Update from the toolbar > Safety > Windows updates. I can also ping websites from a DOS command line.

I ran Malwarebytes, and Windows Security Essentials scan and no viruses found. I have no recent restore points to roll the laptop back to.Nothing out of the ordinary to make me think there is a virus ( no popups, strange desktop backgrounds)

other details:

No problems listed in Device Manager with the network adaptors.

-TCPIP settings are DHCP

- I can release and renew IP address in DOS, proper network obtained each time.

-I Cleared the DNS table in DOS. (DNSFlush)

-Turned Windows firewall off as a test

-The only registry setting I checked was under Software>Windows>Run and Run once,nothing odd there

-Selected IE "restore default settings" no difference, even though Firefox does not work either, I figured if I could get IE functional, that would be a start.

Maybe an LMHOST issue? Where is that in Win 7?

I have used the google search, but none of the fixes listed resolve my issue.

Any ideas? I can use a flash drive to tranfer any files to the nonfunctional laptop. I think I will run "HiJack this" next.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since you've already run malwarebytes, check your IP address settings for a possible DNS server hijack. I wouldn't expect any DNS address entries to be there.

edit: also try using https in an address, instead of http, and see if that works.

In Win 7 your hosts (not lmhost) file is at c:\windows\system 32\drivers\etc

Since you can ping from the command line, your tcp/ip settings are good.

Try putting 67.231.21.21 (ORdN) in the address box in IE or Firefox, tell us what happens.

In Win 7 your hosts (not lmhost) file is at c:\windows\system 32\drivers\etc

Since you can ping from the command line, your tcp/ip settings are good.

Try putting 67.231.21.21 (ORdN) in the address box in IE or Firefox, tell us what happens.

By The way, It is Win 7 64 Bit operating system, I see there is a file c:\windows\sysWOW64 if that makes a difference?

from the command line (DOS), try without the quotes "ipconfig /all", make sure that there is at least one entry for "DNS Servers", and it/they should not be from your network, in other words not 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

If none are listed, go back to your tcp/ip settings for (I'm assuming) the wireless card, check the box "Use the following DNS server..." and put 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google Public DNS) in the Preferred and Alternate DNS Server boxes.

Also, remember that, at least with IE, any changes you make to the network settings or LAN Connection settings require you to restart IE. Firefox/Chrome (Mozilla) don't need restarted.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess you're not doing your own DNS hosting, so go to the tcp/ip properties, go ahead and check the "Use the following DNS...", put in the two Google Public entries, Apply, OK, restart IE, see if that doesn't fix it.

I'll go out on a limb here and guess you're not doing your own DNS hosting, so go to the tcp/ip properties, go ahead and check the "Use the following DNS...", put in the two Google Public entries, Apply, OK, restart IE, see if that doesn't fix it.

I agree. Wonder how that got changed, considering no viral found.

I use www.opendns.com 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

holy crap... mine too. But I only get occasional missed webpages. Changing it now... durrr

:lol:

By The way, It is Win 7 64 Bit operating system, I see there is a file c:\windows\sysWOW64 if that makes a difference?

The \sysWOW64 folder is supposed to be there, no worries.

You should still have a \system32 folder.

Just to confuse you:

- On 64-bit Windows, the \System32 folder contains 64-bit binaries (programs).

- The \sysWOW64 folder contains 32-bit versions of the binaries found in the \system32 folder.

"WOW64" stands for "Windows On Windows 64-bit.

Clear as mud?

The \sysWOW64 folder is supposed to be there, no worries.

You should still have a \system32 folder.

Just to confuse you:

- On 64-bit Windows, the \System32 folder contains 64-bit binaries (programs).

- The \sysWOW64 folder contains 32-bit versions of the binaries found in the \system32 folder.

"WOW64" stands for "Windows On Windows 64-bit.

Clear as mud?

Uhh, if the /system32 folder is gone isn't he pretty much screwed?

ok, check in browser properties, and make sure you don't have a proxy address set.

some viral attacks set one up for you. Quick way to check, sometimes, is to use https instead of http, and see if it works. I'm running out of ideas here...

So, from the command line are you still able to ping Google (or anything)?

And to clarify, other machines on your network are are able to get out using the same method (wireless, assuming that the 'broken' lapper is going out via wireless).

If you have a spare Ethernet cable, try plugging the lapper into your router, maybe do an "ipconfig/release" and "ipconfig/renew" just for yuks, restart IE (or Firefox), and see what happens.

Also, in IE, click Tools, Internet Options, click the Connections tab, click LAN Settings, and make sure that the "Use automatic config...." and "Use a proxy server..." boxes are not checked. Again, I'm guessing that you're not running your own proxy server at home...

Assuming you try all of the above and shit still ain't working, turn off the laptop, let it set for a moment, power it back on, see what happens. I know, I know, you already tried rebooting, but it's Windows. If a reboot doesn't cure it...