Help Windows 7 laptop webpages not displayed

scottb

If you try Tom's 'pull the battery' idea (which is a good idea, btw), upon restarting we could try going into 'safe mode with networking' by pressing F8 once you see the BIOS screen. If you see the Windows logo, you are too late, power it off, on and press F8 sooner.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I ran into this yesterday on two servers that McAfee and MBAM said were "fine" but had obvious things wrong with them:

From a command prompt, type "at" and hit enter, normally you shouldn't have any scheduled tasks, unless you set something up via the task scheduler. <Might> be something there which <might> be causing your troubles.

when typing AT, = access denied ( the account i am using should be admin level account)

i tried running chkdsk, would not run since it did not have control of drive, run at restart, I selected yes.

At restart, "chkdsk unable to due to a recently installed program" no mention of what that program was.

Unable to revert back to another restore point.....

Might work:

When did IE last work properly? We want to search for files/folders created after that time.

Could try going to the Control Panel, Programs, and see if something's in there that you don't recognize. Long shot, but possible.

Press the Windows key plus F (to bring up the search function), choose Files Changed Since This Date (or whatever it's called - at home on my Linux laptop now) and let Windows search.

You <should/maybe> find at least one folder with a suspicious name, probably won't be able to delete it, assuming there's at least one file in there that's loaded in memory, and not allowing you out to the Internet.

plan b, remove hard drive from laptop, connect to external hard drive reader, and run scan on hard drive while connected to another computer?

Very good idea.

If a full scan (make sure your AV is up to date, duh) finds nothing, could try Rootkit Revealer (click, link at MS Technet)

last worked probably before new years eve?

The only functional computers i have are win xp, not sure if the chkdsk xp version is will function with a Win 7 drive?

should work, they're both NTFS.

If you have a way to get any wanted data off the drive - like hooking it to another computer as you're thinking of doing - it might just be easiest/quickest to grab what you want off of it, then wipe the sucker out and reinstall Windows.

Or, better yet, install Linux...

The portable app might be a good troubleshooting tool' date='

because it doesn't install anything on the pc.[/quote']

Another good idea.

WTF is happening to ORdN? Everyone's trying to be helpful?!?!!!!1!!1!!111???