Cheap, effective 4-wheeled vehicle that can haul a bike?

Harb67

Hey everyone, long time no see. It's been several months since I totaled my 650r, and I'm starting to get antsy to get back on two wheels again (despite the wishes of virtually everyone who knows me...but reason and a motorcyclist dont always go together). Unfortunately, I have to find some sort of enclosed 4-wheeled transportation before I can really consider getting another bike.

Can anyone recommended some cheap vehicles to consider that can also transport a bike? The obvious choice is a pickup, but I have no idea what to look for in one. I want to do this as cheaply as possible, so I don't need anything fancy. Would something like a Ranger have a long enough bed to stick a 600cc-1000cc sportbike in, or would I have to go with something bigger like an F-series?

A vehicle/trailer combo is also an option, but I don't have many options for trailer storage so it would have to be a SMALL (and cheap) trailer. I wouldn't mind an Escape or other small SUV if it could be made to suit my purposes.

I'm all ears for ideas. I can't wait to get back on a bike and do many more track days...hence the bike hauling need.

Thanks!

*edit* Holy crap, rep is back. I need to visit here more often...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I hadn't really considered keeping the tailgate down a viable option [due to absent-mindedness], but I suppose it could be made to work. A tailgate extender would be mandatory though, as there would be a lot more than just the bike in the back if I was heading to a track day.

what is your version of cheap? A price range would significantly help

Sub-10,000$ would be nice, but I have no idea what is reasonable for a used truck. I need something that I can use as a daily driver so it can't be in terrible condition, but I have pretty low requirements past that. Working A/C and heat, as well as some sort of working sound system are about my only requirements. The less I spend on the truck, the sooner I can buy the bike.

Also, I should have probably emphasized that I'd also like about as physically small of a vehicle as possible, while still being able to haul a bike + track gear. Even though I'll be graduating in the spring, I'll still be living just off campus for the forseeable future, and parking around here is tight, especially in the garage where I'll likely be parking. This is the only reason I'm asking about Rangers and other smaller trucks.

:lol: @ "sub-10' date='000$"

That's my spending limit towards a vehicle. I'd have one helluva' rig for $10k. I guess my beer budget matches my beer appetite.

Might I suggest a Subaru?[/quote']

agreed lol...."cheap as possible" to me is like a grand or so.... 10k is a hell of a truck! lol

for 10k, buy a small car thats good on gas, and pick up a motorcycle trailer....problem solved....hell, even a civic can pull a bike trailer...i know someone who hauls a 3 bike trailer with an accord (dirt bikes, not street - but theres 3 of them)

Sub 10k will net you something great that should last a long time. It also opens you up to nice SUV's if you want to go the trailer route.

If its a pickup get something smaller and lower to the ground as its easier to load into the bed. I'm a chevy guy but wouldn't hesitate for a minute to get a Ranger. If its going to be a daily I highly suggest a 4x4 for winter convenience. Since you need the tailgate extender I highly suggest getting the combo folding ramp that can be an extender as well.

This was something I was going to do but then I ended up with my new 2500HD and the tailgate is so high off the ground I would need at minimum a 10ft ramp and it would still be a bitch to load by myself so I'm just picking up a trailer. I have the luxury of keeping at my friends house down the road or here at work in our pipe yard

Sub 10k will net you something great that should last a long time. It also opens you up to nice SUV's if you want to go the trailer route.

If its a pickup get something smaller and lower to the ground as its easier to load into the bed. I'm a chevy guy but wouldn't hesitate for a minute to get a Ranger. If its going to be a daily I highly suggest a 4x4 for winter convenience. Since you need the tailgate extender I highly suggest getting the combo folding ramp that can be an extender as well.

This was something I was going to do but then I ended up with my new 2500HD and the tailgate is so high off the ground I would need at minimum a 10ft ramp and it would still be a bitch to load by myself so I'm just picking up a trailer. I have the luxury of keeping at my friends house down the road or here at work in our pipe yard

agreed....dont get a big 4x4 truck to haul bikes lol...i dont even like loading my quad in my truck, let alone a street bike

best of both world - get a subaru impreza (wrx if thats your thing) or a legacy.... get one 6-8k, get a small motorcycle trailer to haul your bike ...all done under 10k and you will have awd for the winters, and a nice daily ride

get something like this

http://columbus.craigslist.org/ctd/2182663785.html

they want 10k for it, but thats a dealership...so private party you could find one for 8k without trying too hard... put a little hitch on it, small bike trailer, and toss your track gear in the back seat

agreed....dont get a big 4x4 truck to haul bikes lol...i dont even like loading my quad in my truck, let alone a street bike

best of both world - get a subaru impreza (wrx if thats your thing) or a legacy.... get one 6-8k, get a small motorcycle trailer to haul your bike ...all done under 10k and you will have awd for the winters, and a nice daily ride

4x4's are cheaper than low millage suburus. But they do haul nicely.

The 10k figure is mostly due to my complete ignorance of car pricing. It's really a limit more than anything. Realistically I'd feel comfortable spending 3000-6000, but I wasn't sure if that would be limiting me to beaters and barely-alive work trucks.

I'll look into that as well. I'm not much of car person; I'm buying 4 wheels simply out of necessity and I figured that a pickup would be the most cost-effective solution. I don't know a thing about Subaru aside from that they are in fact not Australian. Are there any generations of Legacy/Impreza's I should look at in particular?

Edited by Harb67

Since you need the tailgate extender I highly suggest getting the combo folding ramp that can be an extender as well.

I had no idea that type of thing existed, but it sounds magnificent. I'm learning more things from this thread than the class I was in when I posted it :wtf:

what is your daily driver car right now?

A 21-speed and my sneakers. My girlfriend has an 07 G6 that I have access to, but I personally am vehicle-less.

s10 or ranger if you absolutely have no room for a small open trailer.

if you have a bit of room, get a hatchback/wagon of some kind (check the tow and tongue capacity) with a manual tranny and get a hitch installed. and you'll be able to pull 1 bike with little issue. get a decent trailer though.

If you want a trailer for the sole purpose of track days, you can just rent a trailer from Uhaul when need be. They have specific trailers for motorcycles.

I bought a '97 4runner for $4000 four wheel drive. The engine is strong, i just need to fix a brake issue. Theres plenty of SUVs in the $4-5k range in good condition.

You can find a sub $5k four wheel drive SUV with a trailer hitch. Plenty of room for track goodies, and practical. Then rent a trailer for the occasional track day, you dont seem like the type to be at the track every weekend. Save the extra $5k for a new bike, track gear, and track days.

s10 or ranger if you absolutely have no room for a small open trailer.

Just beware about overloading the tailgate if you go the s10 route... you're better off loading the bike with the tailgate off, then putting it back on after the bike is loaded. The sheetmetal and tailgate straps leave a little to be desired.

Ask me how I know. :p

Thanks a lot to everyone for all the suggestions. I had no idea I had this many options at a price well below what I was expecting to spend. I'm think I'll end up with a Subaru or a Ranger; it's just a matter of finding the right one at the right price at this point. I like the fact that the truck would allow me to haul the bike at any time, but I also like that a Subaru would have AWD and back seats. Insurance will probably be a deciding factor as well. Does anyone know if it would be cheaper to insure a truck or an AWD wagon?

*edit*

Also, is it important to get a manual if I'm going to be towing a trailer? I've heard things about automatics overheating while towing. My personal preference is manual anyway, but just from the few quick searches I did it seems like there are a lot more automatics to choose from than manuals when it comes to Subaru wagons.

Edited by Harb67

subaru rates will be significantly higher than trucks, thanks to young people who also happen to enjoy them (wreck them)

i would say if you end up getting an auto, make sure its got a transmission cooler (a lot of vehicles may have one built in from the factory)....cant hurt to add an auxiliary

just towing a bike trailer though, i wouldnt worry about overheating issues ...just dont go pulling around a trackhoe and double axle trailer with your slushbox 4 door sedan lol

manual>auto anyways

**edit...just saw youre looking at subaru wagons.... if you get one and get a single bike trailer to tow around, i would not worry about overheating...you would be fine with the automatic, but manuals do better in the snow so take that into consideration

Edited by Steve Butters

^^Sounds good. Manual is always my first choice, but if a deal comes by on an automatic that is too good to pass up it's good to know that I won't be making a big mistake by buying it. Off to play with insurance quotes :)