Diavel - DO WANT

John

The McQueen/Hasselhoff conundrum

5413684263_de0e107736.jpgOur old buddy JT Nesbitt got pretty upset when he heard that Motorcyclist’s Aaron Frank had used a comment he’d left on HFL without permission. He got even more upset when Aaron dismissed his criticism’s of that bike’s design. So upset, in fact, that he stopped work on his CNG-powered art deco custom roadster and wrote this rant for us unsolicited. Here’s JT’s thoughts on crashing bikes, the Ducati Diavel’s design and hassling the Hoff. — Ed.

The rest of the article in the link: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/02/the-mcqueenhasselhoff-conundrum/

Ummmm.... They cost the same and the Guzzi has 50 fewer horsepower. I don't hate Moto Guzzi but, c'mon.

My original post was simply making the point the Motorcyclist was throwing around all this marketing drivel that Ducati had invented a new catagory and other horse hockey. The Griso was there first not to mention V-Max and the V-rod (sortof.) With euro 3 going to 4 and coming to America soon, there won't be any air cooled motors soon because the the detuning required to meet the standards has all the bikes running so lean most of the horsepower will soon be going to running the water pumps that will be needed. But while you can still get one, having spent too much of my time and money dealing with cooling system repairs, (draining refilling, thermostats, pumps, head gaskets, hoses etc., etc) any bike I was planning on keeping for awhile would have to be air cooled.

mot-guzzi-griso-8v.jpg

Why the Diavel is the best bike Ducati makes

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/02/why-the-diavel-is-the-best-bike-ducati-makes/

5429512092_ca275fe427.jpgWe’ve criticized the Diavel’s design. JT Nesbitt, a designer who’s work was referenced during the Ducati’s creation, compared it to David Hasselhoff. But, the question that’s remained unanswered is: how does the Ducati Diavel perform? English journalist Kevin Ash, not known for pulling his punches, just finished riding the bike in Spain. I think he liked it. — Ed.

Article in the link.

• 1 month later...
My original post was simply making the point the Motorcyclist was throwing around all this marketing drivel that Ducati had invented a new catagory and other horse hockey. The Griso was there first not to mention V-Max and the V-rod (sortof.) With euro 3 going to 4 and coming to America soon, there won't be any air cooled motors soon because the the detuning required to meet the standards has all the bikes running so lean most of the horsepower will soon be going to running the water pumps that will be needed. But while you can still get one, having spent too much of my time and money dealing with cooling system repairs, (draining refilling, thermostats, pumps, head gaskets, hoses etc., etc) any bike I was planning on keeping for awhile would have to be air cooled.

mot-guzzi-griso-8v.jpg

It has to be the crassest thing in the world to quote yourself, but since everyone else is doing it, then I guess it is OK... to wit

"Many in the media define the Diavel's marketing position by claiming it's Ducati's version of a Yamaha VMax or Harley Davidson V-rod, fitting it into the muscle-cruiser sub-catagory, whatever that is. But maybe it should be thought of more as competing with the Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 8V.... But if you step outside of today's narrow niche rules and expectations of what a bike has to be and remember that Moto Guzzi used to win road races... then maybe the Diavel is just a motorcycle.." Cycle World magazine May 2011.