Considering buying a trailer.

LINK

Anyone have a nice trailer for sale that will hold 4 bikes?

I have found a few that might work, but I thought I would check here too.

I will be pulling it with a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, so empty trailer weight is important.

I do have a basket case trailer now, so if anyone near Marion knows anything about rebuilding trailers, I would appreciate hearing from them too.

will a wrangler do well with 4 bikes?

I figure you're looking at at least 2500 lbs., and may want to look into trailer brakes.

Thank you, good point.

The Jeep will pull it, but it is a major concern of mine for trips in the mountains.

I might just get something for 2, maybe 3 bikes, 2 bikes has been no problem with the Jeep so far...3 might be okay, 4 would certainly be pushing it.

I presume your Jeep is V8-powered, so you should be OK for maybe up to 5K # of towing capacity if you have a Class III hitch. Look carefully at the specs in your Owner's Manual and also at the max tow and/or GCW weight info decal on your vehicle, usually located on the driver-side door pillar. Note also that the max weights specified by the manufacturer include passenger, fuel and cargo/luggage weights, so be sure to include these when you do your calcs for safe towing.

I tow a 14' v-nose low-profile tandem-axle box trailer with my F150 w/300HP V8, and it does fine. However, the trailer weighs approx 2400# MT, so with two or three bikes, you're talking another 750-1500 # (or more, if you're hauling H-Ds) of cargo, not including your equipment, camping gear, etc. The trailer has dual axle e-brakes and I use a Tekonsha Prodigy controller in the vehicle, and the set-up works real well. Do your homework to be safe and you should be fine.

If you need to haul 4 full-size bikes, you'll probably need at least a 16' or longer. I suggest buying an open landscape-type trailer, since they are a lot lighter than similar size box trailers. Of course, you give up a great deal of security and weather protection with that option....

If you want to take a look at my trailer and do a test haul and you're in the Cinti area, send me an email and you can stop by.

icantdrive55@fuse.net

Wranglers are V6 at best. I will be honest man, 4 bikes with even the 4.0L would be alot of wreight esp. in the mtns. Once you get to a size trailer to work with 4 bikes, you will be maxing, over the limit really, for hte 4.0L even. Yes, it might work, but is it safe, no, not even close.

The Jeep is a 2008, it has the 3.8 V-6 (POS minivan engine), not as good as the 4.0.

I will be giving the Jeep to my daughter in the next few years, so I am also looking at different vehicles too, I should have kept the Titan...:(

Thank you for the advise and responses, all points well taken!

yeah man 3.8L V6, wait, is that inline 6? They made a killer torque monster I6 back when Grand Cherokees came out.... I dont know if thats the engin, if it is not a V but I, then youd be fine LOL. If not then yeah bro, no way 4 bikes with that, even with an open trailer. Sorry.

yeah man 3.8L V6, wait, is that inline 6? They made a killer torque monster I6 back when Grand Cherokees came out.... I dont know if thats the engin, if it is not a V but I, then youd be fine LOL. If not then yeah bro, no way 4 bikes with that, even with an open trailer. Sorry.

Unfortunately it is a V-6, no torque monster here.

Jeep should have kept the I6, although the new 3.6 V-6 in the Grand Cherokee seems to be alright (290hp-260tq).

the 4.0 was an I-6. I am sure of that. The 3.8 is a slightly bored Jeep Liberty 3.7 V6 ...I think

Another thing Jeep folks seem to forget is that the larger tires many of them install drastically reduce their towing and braking capacity.

a friend of mine thought he was going to tow a boat with his 2007 Wrangler with the 3.8. He MIGHT have had a prayer if he didn't have 37" tires on it.

for that kind of weight, i would think a trailer with a good surge brake would be alright, instead of wiring up trailer brakes

ive pulled a trailer that was about 10k loaded and it had a surge brake and nothing else and it did just fine

find an old 16' trailer on craigslist with a surge brake and call it a day...you could put at least 4 bikes on it, maybe even more....hell we pulled the same trailer with a 1995 f150 with an I6, with a 4 ton truck on it....wasnt a great ride for the truck, but it pulled it just fine...you wouldnt have anywhere near that on your jeep, so i imagine it would be fine.

like someone else said before, check your weight limits before making a decision...ive over loaded before and done fine, but im not sure if i would trust it on a regular occasion, but for a weekend a month or whatever, it wouldnt bother me