New project 900rr what now

wnaplay

I recently purchased a 1997 cbr 900rr that currently sits in about 100 pieces in the garage. I know that the crank appears to be very slightly scarred. The previous owner stated the bike ran fine and all of a sudden stopped running. I dont know if it just wouldnt start or actually stopped while running. I am hoping to rebuild the existing motor however know nothing about bike motors. I can do the work but I just dont know in what direction to head first. I guess I need to have the crank turned but I am still searching for a local machine shop that does motorcycle cranks. Is anyone willing to fill me in on what to expect to do to rebuild this motor, as far as what to be prepared for and what parts I should be replacing? I appreciate all the suggestions in advance. Oh and is a 929 motor any relation to my 900 motor. I know they are different sizes but would a 929 motor bolt up in its place? I had a guy that suggested this.

900rr shit is so so cheap nowa dayz, your better off buying a complete motor and using what you have for parts.. Save your time and cash F'n with machine shop.. 929 will not bolt in, but mounting points can be modified to do so...

Get a rolling chassis together if not already and get setup for a new motor, bolt in and plug up the harness and go ride.....that simple...

I have shit tons of 900rr partz, roll'n chassis, 893cc motors, 2-subs, 2-swings, etc.. tons of junk.... If you need anything let me know...... gixxerlife@yahoo.com

-M

I agree with not fucking with machine shop for the rebuild. You can find a used 900 motor ALOT cheaper than trying to build one. Start getting the frame and rest of the bike cleaned up and put together while you are searching for a motor. Lots of salvage places should have one cheap.

I have been calling around whenever the opportunity comes, but noone seems to have a motor. My reasoning for rebuilding my existing motor is I dont want to take a chance with someone elses POS motor. I dont want to buy one only to have the bike down halfway through spring. The bike is completely together minus the tranny, motor and fairings. How much should I expect to pay for a good used engine? Who would be a good place to call and find one?

I will do some research and try to find you a lil sumthin sumthin. Its not a horribel idea to rebuild the motor you have. Most of the time it is just easier and cheaper to buy a used on. I can understand your reasoning tho. You feel like if your going to spend the money, it might as well be on something you know is fresh and will give you lots of miles. I will get see what I can find from some trust worthy sources.... Maybe the "life of the gixxer" will know of something also. :)

900rr shit is so so cheap nowa dayz, your better off buying a complete motor and using what you have for parts.. Save your time and cash F'n with machine shop.. 929 will not bolt in, but mounting points can be modified to do so...

Get a rolling chassis together if not already and get setup for a new motor, bolt in and plug up the harness and go ride.....that simple...

I have shit tons of 900rr partz, roll'n chassis, 893cc motors, 2-subs, 2-swings, etc.. tons of junk.... If you need anything let me know...... gixxerlife@yahoo.com

-M

If you do have a used motor for my bike that would be great. Let me know. I also sent an email.

Dude from my experiences ...when you come across a disassembled "anything" for sell expect headaches getting that thing together unless you already have all the parts. That goes for cars, bikes, and my most recent experience military cargo aircraft that have been sitting in a desert for about 20+ years in a foreign country. Its almost always a pain in the ass.

newpics5-1.jpg

Guy says it is all complete with about 16000 on it. I have a pic of it. Heres what I was told. I'm not sure what it means though.

The motor is in good shape had 16,xxx miles on it but less than that it was geared up -1 front +10 rear so it's probably more around 14,xxx. I have owned the bike since may 06 had no problems with it at all. It is a complete motor with trans,carbs,and all the wiring

[/quote:4e311]

Guy says it is all complete with about 16000 on it. I have a pic of it. Heres what I was told. I'm not sure what it means though.

The motor is in good shape had 16,xxx miles on it but less than that it was geared up -1 front +10 rear so it's probably more around 14,xxx. I have owned the bike since may 06 had no problems with it at all. It is a complete motor with trans,carbs,and all the wiring

[/quote:4d789]

He changed the front and rear sprockets on the bike and did not have the odometer recalibrated. Since he did not do that it makes the odometer read out more miles than it actually has on it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need some help with in regards to the motor I am considering purchasing. I went over and looked at the bike tonight. The bike is definately damaged. However I dont know about the motor. It looks clean enough however what appears to be the stator is scratched. The seller said I can have the motor for $450 or the entire bike for $750. Usable parts seem to be the frame and motor. Everything else including the subframe will need swapped from mine. However it does have a clear title. And that could help at upgrade time when I sell. I was thinking maybe parting out what I dont need off mine but I am not sure if all together it would be enough to offset the additional $300. What do you think? Also his is a 99.

Thanks alot

The best advice I can offer in this situation (if you plan to buy the whole bike) is to sit down and make a list of every part you think you want to sell. Try to look at everything and make sure you dont write down something you will need. Once you have your list, start looking the parts up online, ebay would be easiest. Look them up in order of what you think is most valueable. After you get most of the items priced, you can start to add up the total value of what youre going to sell. If the total is $300 or more than you would obviously want to buy the whole bike.

I would think that you could prolly get $300 in parts. It all depends on if someone needs parts. Once we are a little further into the season more people will need parts cuz they will wreck and or damage their bike. I dont think it would hurt to have the extra parts anywy since you are putting the new motor in.

You need to make sure the motor turns over. As long as everything is still connected it may even be able to be started.

The battery was given away but I asked him if I brought a battery over, if it would start. He said he wasnt sure since it had been sitting all winter. Would having the clean title make me that much more at sell time? Or whatabout insurance? I still dont know what I am missing if anything from the bike I bought.

• 4 weeks later...

[/quote:81f43]

-1, +10... set up like a stunt bike?