"sprint" fishing numbers surfacing

Beegreenstrings

If you should recieve a call from SPRINT 866-860-6241 chances are you can hang up the phone.

My parents just recieved a call from someone at this number. Call I.D. did not recognize it. Mom calls and tells me, she had thought her new phone (I work for AT&T) was free? I tell her it is. She said a lady called and needed her credit card number for the phone order? So I call back and got a machanical answer and then was transfered. The Machine stated it was sprint, when the guy got on I asked him politely, what the deal was. He stated that my mom and dad both ordered new phones and that he needed their credit card numbers. I told him that they did not, and that they are on my plan and do not have anything to do with getting their new phones and services, that I take care of that for them. He said well I guess I need your number. I laughed and said I bet you would love to have my C.C. number. Too bad I am with AT&T and hung up.

I did a quick search and there are a lot of people getting this exact call. Let your families know.

i had a guy call me yesterday from Rigby ID about magazine subscriptions and how they messed up their subscriptions and they need me to "verify" information. they knew my address and everything already so i thought it was legit, then they started asking me about where i work and how long i have been there, not sure what they can do with that but as soon as they did that i hung up, they could not say what magazine subscription i was receiving, just that they were mailers for 100s of different magazines and needed my info

i had an 866 number call me and demand $536 for a verizon account that i had and apparrently defaulted on funny thing... im on sprint ive always been onm sprint never had a verizon account.. told them that they said it must have been some one using my account and i needed to pay.. a quick F off and they hung up :)

Phone scamming has increased in the last few years. It's picked up on some of the successful internet scamming, and has applied both new and old techniques.

As always, if they weren't making money, they wouldn't bother trying.

Cold calls should never ask for anything they don't already know. Unfortunately, data on people is easily available in the internet age.

I've started picking up the land line and not saying anything, and just waiting. After a bit, a tele sales person cuts over to the line and says "Hello? Hello?". I hang up. You can hear the room full of people on phones in the background noise. But they always call back in a day or two. Sometimes the line just disconnects. That's the computer giving up, when it didn't hear a voice. Stupid phones...

edit: btw, there are 352 google results for "SPRINT 866-860-6241". (39 after duplicates.) None are good.

There's a couple of results in forums, trying to impress that it's a valid sprint customer service number.

It is not, and that shows a higher level of sophistication, scamming that interfaces with the internet.

Edited by ReconRat

i had a guy call me yesterday from Rigby ID about magazine subscriptions and how they messed up their subscriptions and they need me to "verify" information. they knew my address and everything already so i thought it was legit, then they started asking me about where i work and how long i have been there, not sure what they can do with that but as soon as they did that i hung up, they could not say what magazine subscription i was receiving, just that they were mailers for 100s of different magazines and needed my info

I would have gave the dude some false info... :D

Something like... Cahoots or Columbus Gold. Been there 15 years... Started while I was in college. Going to have to get some plastic work done if I am going to stay... :D

I'll just take this thread as a reminder to pay my Sprint bill. Done.

So far, I've been good at catching phishing attempts. If you're ever in doubt, go to the website for the company calling, get the number there, and call them back! Same thing for emails from a company. Login to your account by going to their website, and not from a link in an email.