Senate Bill 5

Casper

Do you agree with Senate Bill 5?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Senate Bill 5?

• Yes
    • No

Why I'm angry is I not only work my butt off everyday I also am risking my life everyday. I made $38,000 last year and that's including the overtime I worked. I go into a very hostile environment and tell the people that refused to follow the rules of society to follow the rules of prison. Contrary to popular belief inmates do not stop being criminals just because they are locked up. They break rules and laws while in prison. They are not locked in a cell all day. Most of the day they hang out in the dayroom or out on the yard. They become violent over the dumbest reasons. When that happens I have to put myself in harms way to control the situation. Myself and fellow officers do not carry weapons of any kind. We are greatly out numbered about 50 officers on my shift to the 2500 inmates. It's a very dangerous place that most people spend their entire life trying to avoid. I walk in and do a damn good job for and average wage. Most people on here would never go into the bad side of town or the "hood" but think I should not have a union to help me try to make the best of my work conditions.

I get an average wage but politicians make a lot more and think I should get less. Salary of Speaker of the House...$223,500. Salary of Majority/Minority Leaders...$193,400. Average US Salary...$33,000 to $77,000 Maybe our elected officials should make an average salary too.

Our union does a lot more than people think. It keeps the state out of court by helping resolve issues before they go to court. If an employee feels the employer (the state) by way of its supervisors or other means is doing something wrong they file a grievance and work it out. Instead of getting a lawyer and going to court. If an inmate claims I've done him wrong the state has to investigate that. Without a union to sit in with me during an investigation the state would need to provide me with a lawyer until they found that I was not working within the policies of my job. The union official that sits in saves the state from having to pay for legal council. They help mandate the ratio of officers to inmates. The list goes on but I'm not going to type all day.

People keep saying were unionizing against tax payers, we are tax payers. Cut our income you cut the taxes we pay therefore the state will have less money in its budget for the next go around. Eventually the taxes for everyone will go up.

Well said.

Debt is debt. No debt is good. Spending more than you have is bad. Surplus is good. Not sure how else to put that.

I don't think someone needs an MBA or a finance degree to realize thats not true when you're looking at optimized and efficient use of money. :nono:

What was the reason the union gave for their actions? It's a lot easier to understand your argument if you give the whole story.

Could not pay outside the contracted wage scale.

Coming from someone who openly propagates fearmongering messages, I find this to be quite ironical. Hearing "isnt this the time for spreading the wealth" from someone who constantly railed on raising taxes for the wealthy is like playing in playpen balls of hypocrisy.

fearmongering? lol i mearly try to open your mind.

you clearly continue to mistake your indoctrination with education, your heinous.

sarcasm must not be your thing. anyone who has read any of my political posts should find it mind numbingly obvious where my political affiliation lies and that it has been, if anything, consistent. i have not once made mention of raising taxes for the wealthy. so, this leaves me with the only conclusion being that you have me mistaken with some one else (no sarcasm).

man, and i thought i needed to get laid......:rolleyes:

Cut our income you cut the taxes we pay therefore the state will have less money in its budget for the next go around. Eventually the taxes for everyone will go up.

everyone except the top 2%

I think what everybody is missing is that everyone on the local level is going to be hit by this. How is that? Let's ask Gov. Scott Walker who is using the same tactics that will be used here as soon as this bill passes.

Local governments will be given the flexibility to manage their employees in a better fashion. (cut wages, raise insurance contributions while decreasing the policy, raise pension contributions) Therefore leaving more money in the budgets for the cities, counties and townships to use.

Now hang on kids, this is where it gets fun....when the city does its budget, which has to be balanced, and they show a surplus, the state will roll back the local government funds that they disperse to the locals. This in turn fills the $4 billion a year state deficit, but rolls it back locally.....where it will hurt all of us. Not just me, a city worker, but everyone. When your local government has to raise taxes to cover their part of the burden from lost local government funds we will all share the burden.

This kind of crap started with Taft by the abolishment of the personal property tax, and replacing it with the Commercial Activity Tax. Good for the business, bad for the people. Cities lot tax revenue because business no longer paid taxes on inventory, but rather only the things they bought and sold. Our FD alone lost $235k from its budget. We have managed to survive through concessions, and working short staffed. We work with our administration, not against it.

Had to edit, because I forgot my Walker reference. After the bill passed last week, 1 day later, in his budget, he cut local level government funding by $1.8 Billion.

• Upvote 1

How did you get your prison guard job? Was it because you are the most qualified or something else?

You don't have to answer the question, I already know.

I'm not sure what your getting at. But I applied took a some tests (physical, psych, and aptitude). I then did an interview then later a drug test. I then went through the academy and graduated. After that I did 2 weeks on the job training followed by a year of probation. I've worked hard and continued with my training. Now I am a certified corrections officer, not a guard. Guards work cross walks and malls not prisons. I participate in several extra assignments such as being a mentor (trainer) for the on the job training program. I take pride in my job and doing my job well.

I'm not sure what your getting at. But I applied took a some tests (physical, psych, and aptitude). I then did an interview then later a drug test. I then went through the academy and graduated. After that I did 2 weeks on the job training followed by a year of probation. I've worked hard and continued with my training. Now I am a certified corrections officer, not a guard. Guards work cross walks and malls not prisons. I participate in several extra assignments such as being a mentor (trainer) for the on the job training program. I take pride in my job and doing my job well.

I think he had an inside person that made it easier. Dont tell me that you all dont sit there and bitch about how you wish you were a new albany cop, or got to sit with the prisoners at the osu med ctr. I know what they make, they sit and bitch about it in front of my wife.

Ohio Republican Cut From Committee Over Union Vote Speaks Out

Ed Schultz: The Economic State of the Middle Class is Tied to Union Membership

GRAPH: As Union Membership Has Declined, Income Inequality Has Skyrocketed In The United States:

Across the country, right-wing legislators continue their attack on labor unions,
that they are saving their states money. Yet in waging these anti-labor campaigns, these politicians are ignoring one very simple fact: unions were a major force in building and sustaining the great American middle class, and as they declined, so has the middle class. As CAP’s Karla Waters and David Madland showed in a
they first published this past January, as union membership has steadily declined since 1967, so too has the middle class’s share of national income, as the super-rich have taken a larger share of national income than any time
:

unionincome.jpg Edited by JRMMiii

I think he had an inside person that made it easier. Dont tell me that you all dont sit there and bitch about how you wish you were a new albany cop, or got to sit with the prisoners at the osu med ctr. I know what they make, they sit and bitch about it in front of my wife.

If I wanted to be a cop I would have went to be a cop. Sitting in the "cage" at osu sucks. It's a waste of man power.

When I went into work this morning I got some horrible news. One of our third shift officers got assaulted last night. Now he is in an ICU with swelling of the brain. Are the benefits that everyone claims are so great worth that?

Where's KK to weigh in on his "brainless" job? I can't remember if his truck requires a CDL or not.

Its more common sense than brains lol

And yes I require a cdl so technically I could do the state plow jobs with out any problem.

Maybe I look at things a little differently but I don't think state employees salary paid with state tax money makes them a tax payer, I look at it as a tax expense. That might offend some folks but in reality when you pay "taxes" you are just putting it back into the pot it came out of. Now if your make 50k a year and pay 60k in taxes then I say you can wear your tax payer badge.

Maybe I look at things a little differently but I don't think state employees salary paid with state tax money makes them a tax payer, I look at it as a tax expense. That might offend some folks but in reality when you pay "taxes" you are just putting it back into the pot it came out of. Now if your make 50k a year and pay 60k in taxes then I say you can wear your tax payer badge.

So since I'm employed by the state my tax dollars don't matter? What do you think is a fair income + benefits for a state employee like myself that risks my life daily? If my tax dollars don't matter why should I have to pay taxes? We not only pay taxes on our income but on the things we buy. We pay no less then then non-state employees in taxes.

If you pay more taxes than your entire gross income ... You're doing it wrong.

His point was their entire salary comes from taxes. So them paying taxes means it's just tax money going back to the pot. It's not new tax money going to the state. At least that's how I read it.

We don't need any stinking public service. You and your type are draining all of society! I can protect all that I own with my .587 Turdburglar 2000 Semi-Automatic, which is bigger than yours. I'm keeping what's mine. Screw you all.

So since I'm employed by the state my tax dollars don't matter? What do you think is a fair income + benefits for a state employee like myself that risks my life daily? If my tax dollars don't matter why should I have to pay taxes? We not only pay taxes on our income but on the things we buy. We pay no less then then non-state employees in taxes.

I don't believe you are any less of a citizen ar all so don't jump to that assumption. I agree why do you pay taxes on income? You pay sales tax on items you buy but lime i said before unless you pay more in taxes than you take in you are not a true tax payer. The money that comes out of your check was already tax money at one point like jrmm said you are just moving money from one pocket to another.

His point was their entire salary comes from taxes. So them paying taxes means it's just tax money going back to the pot. It's not new tax money going to the state. At least that's how I read it.

Yes

Ok, but they still PAY taxes. It might just be moving from the left pocket to the right pocket in their case, but the individuals don't get to keep that money. Same as us private sector folks...

But the money thy give back is pre tax money. I say give them them their salary what ever it is after the taxes and be done with it. Why make the extra step?