New Buell

grapesmuggler27

Those are some weird comment from uber-engineer Erik Buell. Don't have alot of specific details? It feels lighter when pushing it?

Erik Buell makes a lot of weird comments if you start examining the record. The man's an engineer, not a communicator. I can point you to a video of Buell in early 2009 with a deer-in-the-headlights look in his eyes talking about how 2009 is going to be a great year for the motorcycle industry, a great year for Harley-Davidson and a great year for Buell. Yeah, right, 2009, the year motorcycle sales hit bottom, Harley cut production and laid off workers, and Buell Motorcycles was killed. I don't think he's malicious, I just think sometimes he doesn't know what to say and comes up with out-and-out misinformation, such as he doesn't know the stats on his own bike he just built.

I don't think he's malicious, I just think sometimes he doesn't know what to say and comes up with out-and-out misinformation, such as he doesn't know the stats on his own bike he just built.

Amen. You just described most human beings. We are far from perfect and put our foots in our mouths a lot.:woo:

Yeah I'm not sure about the front brake myself it looks super cool but is it really a better?

After 3 generations of ZTL, stopping power is on par with the best dual disc binders that have been in developement for 25+ years. Plus ZTL gives lots of feel.

The advantage of the ZTL was never stopping power, it's weight. It's sheds something like 4 pounds of unsprung weight and most of that is in the front wheel.

The only other way to shed that much unsprung weight is carbon fiber wheels and you can't do that at a price point that will actually sell.

I spent some time looking at the bike today at the dealer show in indy EBR had a "booth" hardly 10 x 10 with their 1125rr amsoil racebike and the ever so purdy 1190RS. There were only two people staffing it and I spent some time talking to Erik Buell about the bike and this seasons racing and he was very optimistic. I sounded like 40K was going to be the price point but it might not be the one with all the carbon fiber. One of the coolest things about the bike are the wheels. The rear has a pretty sick split hub design.

I forgot my camera at my office but Earache took more than a few pictures and he will probably post some soon.

Never mine, just read $30k+ above...not worth it to me. Good 'ol fashion 1000cc+ bikes with a few aftermarket goodies will out do it $15,000 less. :)

You are missing the point of the bike. The first gen is a limited production model with lots of extra carbon fiber and priced like other special models from the likes of Ducati or Bimota. Once production ramps up a more main stream model will probably be available and probably be priced like Italian superbikes.

Is the current bike worth it? Depends on the buyer. To most people, No.

But I think he has a good chance of meeting his goals for this year. The bike looks very nice. Not like the "take it or leave it" aesthetics of previous Buells.

Will EBR be able to compete with Ducati or Aprilla and survive? Time will tell. Atleast the bike is not hampered by an aircooled Harley engine. :)

Craig

• 2 months later...
After 3 generations of ZTL, stopping power is on par with the best dual disc binders that have been in developement for 25+ years. Plus ZTL gives lots of feel.

The advantage of the ZTL was never stopping power, it's weight. It's sheds something like 4 pounds of unsprung weight and most of that is in the front wheel.

The only other way to shed that much unsprung weight is carbon fiber wheels and you can't do that at a price point that will actually sell.

I love Buell's front brake design -- seems ( thinking logically, that is ) that they would give you plenty MORE braking power since the friction zone would be that much larger in circumference AND since it's closer to the diameter of the front wheel than conventional systems increasing applied force wouldn't it?

And......wouldn't the brakes run cooler with more friction surface area to allow better heat dissipation?

What an approvement! Used own an old thunderbolt, what garbage it blew about 4 headgaskets

Probably not much of an improvement over your Thunderbolt in reliability, just better looking, more power, and much more costly to buy and own.

i dunno about you, but my 1125cr ran great, made a shit ton of power (more than my aprilia rsv1000r factory and my ducati 998s), and was very reliable.

if they dropped the weight on this 1190, made more power, and improved handling, it's going to be a serious contender for the 1198. doesn't look half bad either.

i dunno about you, but my 1125cr ran great, made a shit ton of power (more than my aprilia rsv1000r factory and my ducati 998s), and was very reliable.

if they dropped the weight on this 1190, made more power, and improved handling, it's going to be a serious contender for the 1198. doesn't look half bad either.

Nope not as fortunate as you, along with many other 1125 owners.