Folding@Home - Ohio Riders Team

Casper

Since several of you run Folding@Home, I figured I'd put together an Ohio Riders team on Stanford's site. Our team number is 201846.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=201846

For more info about Folding@Home:

http://folding.stanford.edu

It's a great way to help researchers without doing anything. Just install the software, and it runs in the background.

Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases

You can help scientists studying these diseases by simply running a piece of software.

Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.

Protein folding is linked to disease, such as Alzheimer's, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

What is protein folding?

Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

What have we done so far?

We have had several successes. You can read about them on our Science page, on our Awards page, or go directly to our Results page.

Want to learn more?

Click on the links on the left for downloads or more information. You can also download our Executive Summary, which is a PDF suitable for distribution. One can also help by donating funds to the project, via Stanford University.

Well, I downloaded this and have it running. Is there a 64 bit application or did I miss is? Right now this is what I'm working on:

Current Work Unit

-----------------

Name: ALZHEIMER DISEASE AMYLOID

Tag: -

Download time: February 23 02:53:20

Due time: March 16 02:53:20

Progress: 0% [__________]

For some reason, he past 2 days when I go to check the progress on my laptop, it's not running. Neither the taskbar client, or the core. I need to investigate.

I'm also not having any success with running the command line version as a service on my Home Server box. It ran fine about a year ago, before the last reload.

Looks like I'm in second place! Sorry about that chevysoldier. :D

lol, yeah apparently my comp sucks. But I put it on my old laptop that I keep hooked up to the TV for movies. Maybe I'll get a few more points with that. :D

Edited by chevysoldier

lol, yeah apparently my comp sucks. But I put it on my old laptop that I keep hooked up to the TV for movies. Maybe I'll get a few more points with that. :D

Wife's laptop. :) I put it on both our laptops, my desktop, CPU and GPU, and the home server box, which I SHOULD run the SMP client, since it does almost nothing anyway!

• 4 weeks later...