Fuel Fill Up Tips

Chrome

It's not very much, probably less than 10 cents (corporately owned stores that is). I have a good friend that's a manager at Speedway and he said the margin on fuel is very little and they make their money on the walk in customers buying stuff from the store.

i know someone who manages a speedway and when gas was at 3.35 the past month, they lost money on every gallon....not a ton, but they were losing - had to keep those prices to stay competitive though...now thats it up theyre doing alright now

and my buddys family owns a shell and he said they average about 3 cents per gallon profit, and that most money is made from the car wash and the people who come inside to buy stuff

So.......what's the cost of fuel to you before the consumer gets plowed at the pump?? I'd just really like to see how much is made between supplier and station vs. station and consumer - but I don't expect an answer

Why wouldn't I give an answer? Or were you just trying to be a smart ass? Honest answer is 5-7 cents per gallon. And with the amount of competition anymore its closer to less than 5 cents. As stated above the walk ins is where most places make their money in the convience deparment. Sorry if that is plowing you but don't blame us. We aren't even close to being the middle man, actually we are the end man and we get the satisfaction of getting accused of gouging the shit out of our customers. Im sure there are some shady stations out there but we aren't one. You wanna be pissed at someone you pay 46.4 cents a gallon in tax alone.

Edited by kawi kid

We aren't even close to being the middle man, actually we are the end man and we get the satisfaction of getting accused of gouging the shit out of our customers.

Yeah, everyone gets pissed off at the retailer, who's barely scraping by. There's a reason you never ever see a gas station today that isn't selling Slurpees, Doritos, rear-view mirror air fresheners, whatever. It's because you can't make it just selling gasoline. Then if one underground tank starts leaking and needs repairs, your profits get wiped out in a flash.

I give props to anyone in business for themselves, but especially selling fuel is no easy gig.

Put on top of that being an independent station. We don't have the big brand recognition and the advertising dollars aren't there for us either. But being a small community and the fact that our bulk fuel business is one of the biggest in the surrounding counties that helps a lot. Word of mouth advertising is what we have always relied on. And since we aren't a big brand station we can do little things other places can't such as have dyed off road bio diesel at the pumps. That's a plus for some of the folks that have huge yards and need a bigger tractor for mowing but don't use enough to warrant putting in a bulk tank on their property.

Put on top of that being an independent station. We don't have the big brand recognition and the advertising dollars aren't there for us either. But being a small community and the fact that our bulk fuel business is one of the biggest in the surrounding counties that helps a lot. Word of mouth advertising is what we have always relied on. And since we aren't a big brand station we can do little things other places can't such as have dyed off road bio diesel at the pumps. That's a plus for some of the folks that have huge yards and need a bigger tractor for mowing but don't use enough to warrant putting in a bulk tank on their property.

how much is this off-road diesel? and its bio-diesel, or is it the red stuff you can run in any diesel "farm equipment"??

Lol ok. They prob don't do much checking up there but down here thy dip tanks all the time. I guell that's what I get for living near the country.

yea they dont do it here that ive noticed...but for 10 cents, thats like $3.40 per tank...not even worth the hassle tbh

ive been trying to find out what the specific fine is, but i cant find it set in stone...ive seen anywhere from $10/gallon to $10,000 lol