Fun uses for electric motors?

redkow97

no, this will not work. in fact, give up the whole dimmer idea altogether

Actually, as long as it's a modern "wave chopper" type (and not a really old simple varistor type), it will actually work.

Besides the easy reasoning of saying I have one in my house that varies my ceiling fan motor, I could go over why it would work if someone really needs me to, but I promise it works just fine. The motor doesn't see a perfect AC wave, but with the massive inductive load of the motor and another "choke" inductor in the dimmer itself, the chopped wave smooths out to an only slightly asymmetric sine wave, which an AC motor can deal with just fine. You just don't get 100% of the possible efficiency from the motor, but the losses really aren't that great. Since I'm not trying to make an electric race car with my ceiling fan, I don't mind the few percent drop in efficiency, and neither would you in your application.

Just make sure your dimmer could handle the kind of high constant current you'd throwing at it, without blowing up the SCR/triac inside.