Fun uses for electric motors?

redkow97

I was cleaning out my garage and realized that I have a vacuum cleaner motor, and a 3.3hp motor from a craftsman electric edger.

I was going to toss them, but I can't bring myself to do it. There has to be something fun and pointless I can use these for...

Suggestions? The only thing I've really come up with so far is splicing in a dimmer-switch so I can make the speeds variable. That should work, right?

hahaha 21 views, and no one has posted anything.

The best I've come up with is seeing if i could make my own pitching machine. But I've already got a trebuche that throws tennis balls (or apples & oranges) like 400 feet...

that's what i'm unsure of - what does "some engineering" involve?

If they can make a device that allows you to run 120v appliances on a car's cigarette lighter, this should work on teh same principle, no?

If they can make a device that allows you to run 120v appliances on a car's cigarette lighter, this should work on teh same principle, no?

Sure.

If you only want 500mA.

The principle of an inverter is sound, just the cost of making one that handles AC motor kind of power is quite another animal. Ask Tesla.

Need some kind of mini fridge that you cam cut a hole in, make a little belt drive conveyor and power it with the motor. The bigger motor could power the conveyor and you could come up with a little contraption that drops a beer on to the conveyor and then the conveyor brings a nice could beer to your chair or wherever you want it

Need some kind of mini fridge that you cam cut a hole in, make a little belt drive conveyor and power it with the motor. The bigger motor could power the conveyor and you could come up with a little contraption that drops a beer on to the conveyor and then the conveyor brings a nice could beer to your chair or wherever you want it
Make a big a blender for Margaritas or other mixed frozen drinks! It would be great for camping trips!

these 2 sound fantastic

Sure.

If you only want 500mA.

The principle of an inverter is sound, just the cost of making one that handles AC motor kind of power is quite another animal. Ask Tesla.

what about something like this?

51Xhy-LgxmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

5000 watt inverter?

Now we're talkin'....

Just build your little frame right, and you can get yourself into trouble in no time.

a 5kW inverter will neither be small nor light, and will be hot as a biiiiitch when pumping out a decent load. But again, that would be quite a fun time.

Suggestions? The only thing I've really come up with so far is splicing in a dimmer-switch so I can make the speeds variable. That should work, right?

no, this will not work. in fact, give up the whole dimmer idea altogether