Afro locks wheel up at 80mph...thrown piston rod is the culprit!

AfroCBR

...I should have correlated the louder knocking sound with a need to slow down....unfortunately for me, I did not make such an inference. Instead, in my mind at the time, I thought to myself "the faster I go, the faster I will get to my destination...thus getting my bike to safety faster." This was not a good move. I quickly left my fellow compadres in the dust as I accelerated to 40...50....60mph...the knocking sound began to be almost deafening...I accelerated up to 80mph...and then I heard a loud BOOOM...

Am I the only one here that thinks that this was about the dumbest thing you could have ever done.

It doesn't take a genius to know that if your engine (beit car or bike) is running wrong that you don't run it harder.

You're lucky to be alive and you're damn lucky you didn't kill someone else. Stupid move. :nono:

Am I the only one here that thinks that this was about the dumbest thing you could have ever done.

It doesn't take a genius to know that if your engine (beit car or bike) is running wrong that you don't run it harder.

You're lucky to be alive and you're damn lucky you didn't kill someone else. Stupid move. :nono:

There's alot dumber things he could have done. Had you read his post he acknowledges the fact he made less than stellar decisions.

There's alot dumber things he could have done. Had you read his post he acknowledges the fact he made less than stellar decisions.

I read his post. Acknowledging a stupid move does not undo the stupidness.

as I began making the short 4-mile trip back to my place, I quickly realized that the faster I went, the louder the knocking sound. In hindsight, I should have correlated the louder knocking sound with a need to slow down....unfortunately for me, I did not make such an inference. Instead, in my mind at the time, I thought to myself "the faster I go, the faster I will get to my destination...thus getting my bike to safety faster." This was not a good move. I quickly left my fellow compadres in the dust as I accelerated to 40...50....60mph...the knocking sound began to be almost deafening...I accelerated up to 80mph...and then I heard a loud BOOOM...

it's sad how many people think like this

...if you have a problem, driving the extra 2 or 3 miles when you KNOW you have the problem is NEVER EVER EVER worth risking the problem multiplying itself and trying to get to safety.......park it and tow it be it a car, horse or motorcycle

I read his post. Acknowledging a stupid move does not undo the stupidness.

tho i agree.. you breaking him down like a dog doesnt make it better either.. AGAIN he stated he was dumb.. it happens. no one is perfect.. now we bust his balls with some humor and move on.

Lesson to everyone... When a car engine siezes it is likely to be expensive. When a bike engine siezes it is likely to be fatal.

Yes, riding home was not the best choice that could have been made... But at least we all get to learn from his mistake. I'm glad he shared it - most guys wouldn't have the balls to own up to being wrong.

As others have said, my intention in posting this was not to be told how stupid what I did was (I clearly owned what I did as not being a smart decision)....but rather to let others know who are not mechanically inclined (like myself) the dangers of riding w/ a knocking noise in their engine....after reading your comment..."it doesn't take a genius to know that if your engine is running wrong that you don't run it harder" it appears that your intent is to insult my ability to discern something which to you is common sense. I have stated in several posts that I am not a bike mechanic, and have no knowledge of such things....thx for the rude comment though :bigfinger:

Glad that you made it out of that predicament safely, as that situation could have gone from sh*tty to "OH FCUK!!!" really fast!

Now I bet you'll be so paranoid on your next ride that the moment you hear a tiny rock jump up and hit the engine, you'll clutch and pull over. :lol:

....thx for the rude comment though :bigfinger:

:cry::slap:

Get over it.

I felt it necessary to break the ice; pretty sure a few others here were thinking the exact thing I was,

they just didn't say it. I don't have a problem speaking what's on my mind.

:cry::slap:

Get over it.

I felt it necessary to break the ice; pretty sure a few others here were thinking the exact thing I was' date='

they just didn't say it. I don't have a problem speaking what's on my mind.[/quote']

Take this from a 25 year old. You seem to get yourself into some..."interesting" situations on this board. Not saying i'm perfect...and i haven't...but seems as of late your name comes up quite a bit.

Some things are just better left unsaid. And...i 110% believe in person...you would have not said the same thing.

Just my opinion. ;)