Budget

4DAIVI PAI2K5

From a CNN blog:

10:54 p.m. ET - House Speaker John Boehner announced the deal before reporters.

10:38 p.m. ET - CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash reported that sources in the room say Speaker John Boehner has announced to House Republicans that a budget deal has been reached– and that there would be a stopgap funding bill averting a government shutdown.

A senior Democratic source told CNN the temporary spending bill would fund the government until Thursday and would include two billion in spending cuts, according to CNN Congressional Producer Ted Barrett.

CNN Congressional Producer Deirdre Walsh reported that a senior GOP aide in the meeting called it the "largest real dollar spending cut in American history" and said the proposal would cut more than $500 billion from the federal budget over the next 10 years.

Fuckin' please people!!! $500 Billion over 10 years!!! Oh! Our saviors!

Well last minute vote passed a budget.

They're playing us for sheep folks. Our debt is at $14,264,245,526,311.58 as of today. $39 billion is 0.273% of the total debt.

Don't worry their already planning to raise the debt ceiling to cover the difference. I'd say my kids will inherit the debt, but I don't have any I know of. :lol:

Edited by buildit

How about we just privatize EVERYTHING? That'll save some coin.

And we put a $50k/yr floor on wages... if you do something that doesn't make at least $50k/yr -- which is what society values you at -- you're not considered an American, but a "contractor" with no benefits of being part of the American society (no unemployment, no disability, nothing). You're just expendable undeserving poor trash from a business standpoint. Don't take it personally.

I'm all for the rich getting richer, and the rest of you... well, stiff upper lip.

Edited by JRMMiii
  • Upvote 1

Disagree. If it wasnt for our military you wouldnt be able to post that comment. cut welfare, disability, special interest programs, paying for political complains.

agreed wholeheartedly

How about we just privatize EVERYTHING? That'll save some coin.

yes please

I'm going to piss a lot of people off here, but who cares. My freedom is not being protected by setting up a haphazard infrastructure in a land where the camel reigns supreme. This did not win me the right to think, write, or say anything. I understand the sacrifice, and respect each soldier... But it's time we stop trying the blanket statement that this is the reason there is freedom. We don't have the money to make Mosul up in our own image, and freedom is not created by building a waterpark in Baghdad (US taxpayer funded, mind you...).

The bravery of our soldiers is being sold out, and we're given the bill for a parochial mission. I support our soldiers, and by saying that I mean I want them all home with those that they love. Cut military spending by refining the usage of our troops. Have them ready to do what is really in our interest, which might mean showing some Mexican crimelords the business. Protect US interests....

i'm going to piss a lot of people off here, but who cares. My freedom is not being protected by setting up a haphazard infrastructure in a land where the camel reigns supreme. This did not win me the right to think, write, or say anything. I understand the sacrifice, and respect each soldier... But it's time we stop trying the blanket statement that this is the reason there is freedom. We don't have the money to make mosul up in our own image, and freedom is not created by building a waterpark in baghdad (us taxpayer funded, mind you...).

The bravery of our soldiers is being sold out, and we're given the bill for a parochial mission. I support our soldiers, and by saying that i mean i want them all home with those that they love. Cut military spending by refining the usage of our troops. Have them ready to do what is really in our interest, which might mean showing some mexican crimelords the business. Protect us interests....

this

I'm going to piss a lot of people off here, but who cares. My freedom is not being protected by setting up a haphazard infrastructure in a land where the camel reigns supreme. This did not win me the right to think, write, or say anything. I understand the sacrifice, and respect each soldier... But it's time we stop trying the blanket statement that this is the reason there is freedom. We don't have the money to make Mosul up in our own image, and freedom is not created by building a waterpark in Baghdad (US taxpayer funded, mind you...).

The bravery of our soldiers is being sold out, and we're given the bill for a parochial mission. I support our soldiers, and by saying that I mean I want them all home with those that they love. Cut military spending by refining the usage of our troops. Have them ready to do what is really in our interest, which might mean showing some Mexican crimelords the business. Protect US interests....

Truth. Cut military in half, drop ALL foreign aid (just makes more enemies), make some rational choices on Medicare and Social Security, get rid of some favorable tax treatments (and this includes home mortgage deduction above $250k or so). Do that stuff and you'll be making some progress - while pissing just about everybody off.

Fire all politicians and start over. They're arguing $30B vs $60B when we need to be cutting hundreds of billions of dollars. It's a disaster, and I don't even know how we got here. Everyone blames Bush, but Obama and the Democrats have made it even worse. We need to be cutting, not spending. Drastic cuts saved this country after the depression. Drastic cuts are what will save us now. Pumping money into the economy is not working. It hasn't created jobs. It hasn't stabilized the housing market. It's done nothing but put us further into debt and help rich folks get richer. It needs to stop now. I say fire them all, ban all political parties, and start over.

picture.php?albumid=460&pictureid=11698

:wtf:

100% agreed, but I'm going to add some to that. I think the troops should come home. All of them. But don't let any go. Have them continue their tasks here at home. When they have down time, send them out on public service missions. Go do repairs to a poor inner city school. Help sandbag the banks of the Mississippi. Help with parks and recreation. Etc. Keep them employed, and keep them paid (with raises hopefully). Keep them in shape and trained, ready to protect our country against any attacks.

• Upvote 1

100% agreed, but I'm going to add some to that. I think the troops should come home. All of them. But don't let any go. Have them continue their tasks here at home. When they have down time, send them out on public service missions. Go do repairs to a poor inner city school. Help sandbag the banks of the Mississippi. Help with parks and recreation. Etc. Keep them employed, and keep them paid (with raises hopefully). Keep them in shape and trained, ready to protect our country against any attacks.

its funny, I have 2 friends in the military that have said this many times and would absolutely love it as opposed to being stationed somewhere overseas doing pretty much nothing

Don't know that we want to go down that road. We can bring 'em home. But I like our warriors being, well, warriors.

When I say cut half the military, I mean cutting spending. This is actually an area of possible cooperation between Republicans and Obama. They did it with the F35 engine program and trimmed $450 million this year and $3 billion over the future life of the program. I suspect there's more where that came from.

Are the building projects military or foreign aid?

It is part of the Militaries funding. It's called the Commmanders Emergency Relief Program, used to pump money, and hence stabilize an area. There is little oversight on the 50 billion+ program. 33 million went to build a hotel by Baghdad's airport. Little chance it will be used though. Over $14,000 went towards I love Iraq t-shirts. 135 million just disappeared, with no way to account for it...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2008/08/10/ST2008081002653.html

Add all you want. It saved me getting worked up and fine tuning what I laid out in broad strokes. There is a hippie in you afterall, Ben...:p

Add all you want. It saved me getting worked up and fine tuning what I laid out in broad strokes. There is a hippie in you afterall, Ben...:p

I don't think it's hippy at all. I think it's just common sense and what's best for the country. :D

I don't think it's hippy at all. I think it's just common sense and what's best for the country. :D

There you have it... Being a Hippy is common sense. Now where is Genfly and that backdoor... :p