Knee Draggin Issues..

Bluezx6r

If you're spending your time thinking about getting your knee down, you're not thinking enough about the corner. Knee dragging does not make you faster.

I agree, I just feel that If i'm not leaned over enough, That I could go through the said corner faster so that I can get more of a lean angle.

I could go through the said corner faster so that I can get more of a lean angle.

Lean angle has nothing to do with your speed, I can put a knee down in a walmart parking lot at 15mph if I wanted to. Does that make me fast? no it means I turned sharp.

I agree, I just feel that If i'm not leaned over enough, That I could go through the said corner faster so that I can get more of a lean angle.

sounds like you are answering your own question. if you aren't getting your knee down - go faster.

in a safe environment though. you'll have plenty of time to practice riding on track, completely different animal than the street.

sounds like you are answering your own question. if you aren't getting your knee down - go faster.

in a safe environment though. you'll have plenty of time to practice riding on track, completely different animal than the street.

The track I assume will be easier than the street due to more room to move unlike the small road that I'm on. But I feel retarded when i see a guy on a OLDwing Dragging his knee into corners and i cannot lmao

The track I assume will be easier than the street due to more room to move unlike the small road that I'm on. But I feel retarded when i see a guy on a OLDwing Dragging his knee into corners and i cannot lmao

I wouldn't stress too much about it. I don't know how impressed I'd be watching a winger with his knee down on the street.

I more than likely will... Like I said lol I cannot get that knee down to save my life. I want to Race in the series next year.

Getting your knee down is not going to save your life on the street but trying to get it down on the street could cost you your life. I'm not even going to try to explain how its better to not try to get your knee down. I'm not trying to be mean I just don't wanna hear about you hurting yourself out there.

ride your bike. dont ride the bike in front of you. do your thing.

Yes, Its supposed to make you turn without leaning the bike over as far.

So you want to learn how to go into a corner faster and are confused about where touching a knee comes into play. It's okay to be confused about something you don't have much experience with but trust me trying to teach yourself to touch a knee on the street is not a wise investment of your time.

No one here should be offering you help touching your knee on the street and have been telling you to get to a track. It will be clear to you after some track time what it means to touch a knee and how it relates to speed and control. It sounds like you have plans for doing track time and I can't wait for you to revisit this thread after you have done so.

• Upvote 1

So you want to learn how to go into a corner faster and are confused about where touching a knee comes into play. It's okay to be confused about something you don't have much experience with but trust me trying to teach yourself to touch a knee on the street is not a wise investment of your time.

No one here should be offering you help touching your knee on the street and have been telling you to get to a track. It will be clear to you after some track time what it means to touch a knee and how it relates to speed and control. It sounds like you have plans for doing track time and I can't wait for you to revisit this thread after you have done so.

I heart you... U-P

blue get your ass to the track dont try and touch your knee on the street.. why spend your engergy worrying about that when you should pay attention to the road ahead of you... and on the track.. take your time.. the knee will come.. sometimes it doesn't tho! it doesnt make you faster.. hell my wife doesnt drag knee and she is just as fast as i am on the track and my knee hits all the time, ask anyone that has ridden with her... the knee means nothing but a guide to where you are on the rubber.. keep it where it needs to be .. the track..(i'll prolly get flamed for half of this lol)

This is a serious post correct? 1st, why are you overly concerned with dragging knee? Just to say you did it? No one really cares if you do or don't, well I would guess you, but that's about it. 2nd, doing it on the street in leathers, seriously? If you are in Cbus, there are only a few roads that have even a decent setting to do this safely, and even then, I would doubt they are "safe" by normal standards. 3rd, you state you need new tires and brakes as it is... The last thing I would do needing tires is be anywhere concerned with hitting the knee slider, that is just a high side or low side waiting to happen, I've done both, on the track, ain't fun or cheap.

I am not trying to be a dick here, but trying to be realistic. I've seen plenty of people drag through hocking, and comparing something like that to the track as far as if you do lose the rear, or start a tank slap with oncoming traffic, just isn't even partially smart. I tried in my hayday too so I am guilty, but once I realized after seeing 4 wrecks in 1 hocking ride, some from people grinding the puck, it just isn't smart.

Save up, get your tires and brakes, then hit a few track days. If you hit knee great, if not, again, who cares? I know some fast riders personally, that have never hit the ground either, and still have some great riding abilities.

And as stated, it will come naturally, the first time I ground tow I was scared in the Esses at Mid O like wtf, the first time I ground knee I about crapped, but it was just randomly, different sessions, different days. Then I ground both knees and my bike as well from a wipeout and it blew.

It doesn't always help improve turning either, but it can in the right enviroment (track) since you aren't setting any lap times on 270 dragging knee.

You can't get your knee to touch down because it is nowhere near the asphalt. You're trying to build a barn by starting with the roof.

Speed = Byproduct.

<~~~this so right.. get all the other stuff down first.. hell for all you know your body position could be shit! could be perfect dont know untill its evaluated... speed/ knee down all by products of getting all the rest of th stuff right first..

I did not read the rest of the thread, but you shouldn't try to force getting your knee down. Its a result of good cornering, speed and body position (but can happen through bad position however you will be slower). If you are really itching to get your knee down and don't want a track day, try going to an empty parking lot and just go in circles. Eventually you will speed up and the lean angle will be getting bigger and bigger. I would suggest evaluating your body position, you can search youtube for some good tips somewhere. I don't think this will happen on the street, and you will look ridiculous if you are trying to be all the way off the bike just to get your knee down. Remember; getting your knee down is a result of other things, it will (should) come naturally

Like everyone else is saying, you don't necessarily need to get a knee down to go faster. It should definitely come naturally, you shouldn't make it a conscious effort to try to plant a puck in every corner. My guess is after a few track days when you start to get faster, you will probably find your knee making contact with the pavement when you're not expecting it. But for now put knee-dragging in the back of your mind so it doesn't mess with what you really need to focus on first. When you get to the track, first thing you need to work on is finding the right line, then work on basic bike controls. Throttle and braking. Get these down and work on good body positioning and the knee will happen. Tire pressure, wheel alignment, wheel balance, bike geometry, and suspension setup are important as well- somebody at the track should be able to help make sure you're in the ballpark- these get more critical as you get a lot faster. Definitely save it for the track though, just way too many factors out there that make it unsafe on the roads. Hopefully when you get a few track days under your belt, you'll have less of an urge to ride fast and risk it on the streets anyway. Have fun and stay safe!

:)