Knee Draggin Issues..

Bluezx6r

I have to be the first to ask where in Columbus are you hitting corners that you feel you should be draggin knee on? Second why are you trying to drag knee when you claim to have bad tires and brakes?

Lol its not "every corner " deep into galloway there is a road that has two very sharp consecutive turns. There is rarely traffic and I just go back and forth through this road. If I could remember the street name I would tell you but I,m not sure. I guess I should have said I wasn't trying it in every corner I hit lol.

personally, I have no problem with someone taking a knee on a corner as long as you are not flying when you do it. (Some of you know what I do for a living and where.) Its not stunting and not dangerous If you know what you are doing. I, however, am in a minority in my views on this.

personally, I have no problem with someone taking a knee on a corner as long as you are not flying when you do it. (Some of you know what I do for a living and where.) Its not stunting and not dangerous If you know what you are doing. I, however, am in a minority in my views on this.

:D

wiggum.gif

One thing I didn't remember to bring up is what part of your feet are on the foot peg while your trying to drag knees?

Thanks for taking the advice to wait till your on the track.

For what its worth I don't touch a knee unless I run a race pace. If I'm out in I or N group forget it, I'm not really close.

I never came close to dragging a knee on the street, but I admit that it is a bit of a monkey to get off your back at trackdays. While putting a knee down is NOT important (so long as your body position is good), it does give some sense of validation. It's a milestone, whether it should be or not.

Part of it was the fact that my old bike wasn't super at home on the track, but I definitely reached like crazy to get my knee down that first time. If I weren't a pretty lanky and flexible guy, I probably would have torn a groin (and my leathers) trying.

Now I just use my knee as a gauge. I still reach for the ground a little, just so I know where it is. If I touch a knee on my first couple laps, I know I'm pushing the limits of cold tires and stand the bike back up.

But even when I'm up to "race" pace, I usually reach down, touch my knee and then bring it back up again as I continue to lean the bike over.

Foot/toe position is probably THE biggest thing with getting a knee down though. Point your toe out, and your knee follows; you can't just move your kneed to the side and get it on the ground. won't happen unless you're lowsiding...

I have to get water wetter in teh bike this week and see if I can swing riding on Saturday. Definitely in for May though.

Find a safe parking lot (Sunday is best). Start putting in laps I like an oval lap because you also work on braking aqnd setting up for the corner each time you turn in. . Work on body position. I first dragged knee in second gear at about 30 mph in a parking lot. Slowly increase speed and turn radius. Get a buddy to go with it is more fun. It should surprise you when you touch down because your eyes will be on the exit off the corner.

I have never been able to drag a knee on the street I tried before I got on track. Draggin a knee is used to guage lean when you start getting faster you put your knee down and bring it in toward the bike. it helps you gauge how much more or less lean angle you have. It is good to know what it feels like and approximately when you touch so when you get to a track day you know you can do it and knowing is half the battle.

• 2 weeks later...
Suggested speed is 10 I was able to do 27ish...

well the first thing you're doing wrong is not looking through the turn.

your only indication of speed through a given corner should be what gear you're in, and where your tach was reading when you entered the corner.

Looking at the speedometer instead of where you want to go will get you in trouble eventually.

Looking at the speedometer instead of where you want to go will get you in trouble eventually.

I agree im baseing my speed on my exit not the corner. And as far as speed goes I assume the higer speed is needed to get the appropriate lean angle.

I never came close to dragging a knee on the street, but I admit that it is a bit of a monkey to get off your back at trackdays. While putting a knee down is NOT important (so long as your body position is good), it does give some sense of validation. It's a milestone, whether it should be or not.

Part of it was the fact that my old bike wasn't super at home on the track, but I definitely reached like crazy to get my knee down that first time. If I weren't a pretty lanky and flexible guy, I probably would have torn a groin (and my leathers) trying.

Now I just use my knee as a gauge. I still reach for the ground a little, just so I know where it is. If I touch a knee on my first couple laps, I know I'm pushing the limits of cold tires and stand the bike back up.

But even when I'm up to "race" pace, I usually reach down, touch my knee and then bring it back up again as I continue to lean the bike over.

Foot/toe position is probably THE biggest thing with getting a knee down though. Point your toe out, and your knee follows; you can't just move your kneed to the side and get it on the ground. won't happen unless you're lowsiding...

I have to get water wetter in teh bike this week and see if I can swing riding on Saturday. Definitely in for May though.

Find a safe parking lot (Sunday is best). Start putting in laps I like an oval lap because you also work on braking aqnd setting up for the corner each time you turn in. . Work on body position. I first dragged knee in second gear at about 30 mph in a parking lot. Slowly increase speed and turn radius. Get a buddy to go with it is more fun. It should surprise you when you touch down because your eyes will be on the exit off the corner.

I have never been able to drag a knee on the street I tried before I got on track. Draggin a knee is used to guage lean when you start getting faster you put your knee down and bring it in toward the bike. it helps you gauge how much more or less lean angle you have. It is good to know what it feels like and approximately when you touch so when you get to a track day you know you can do it and knowing is half the battle.

These are some solid advices here as to THE reason to drag a knee.

It'll be scary and cool at first, but afterward, you'll get over it. I only use it to gauge where I'm at in my lean angle, and how much more I can go, given my tires' grips.

Look at some of the pro racers, they rarely drag a knee. Heck they bring it closer to the fairings to add more lean angle.

yeah in the time from my first to third track day, i apparently went batshit knee-dragging crazy and burned through a set of pucks, so i learned to "skim" not "plant" the pucks after i found out decent pucks at $40 for a set.

third season now, and i'm still on the klucky pucks that i bought after i burned through the first pair.

• 2 months later...