new puter

speedytriple

• 4 weeks later...

I'll just post here instead of starting my own thread.

Want to pick the brain of the other IT nerds and those with geek-cred on here... some of you may've heard me complain about my 10yr old rig (2Ghz P4, 512MB, nVidia GeForce3) -- well, I'm about to bite the bullet for a new setup from cyberpowerpc.com

I'd like to build another that'll last 10+years, so I want an i7 core with a decent mid-upper video card (nVidia GTX 460 or better)

Anyone wanna shoot holes through this system?

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1D7RMV

I'm not a big fan of that case and considering switching the the Obsidian 700D (which has a $50 Mail in rebate, so the cost will wash out). I know others have said the onboard audio isn't the best solution (though it's gotten better in recent years) and I figure if I can't handle it I'll add a card later.

I'd also consider a laptop, but I figure tablets are the future... so I'll end up with a powerPC with a "dumb" client (tablet, shitty laptop) and use VNC to tap into the heavy-lifting rig.

Thoughts?

Whatcha lookin' to do with this machine, any gaming? If not, you should be fine.

If it were me, I'd skip the water cooling and go with good old-fashioned fans. I just don't trust water inside a case filled with electronics. Again, that's me. Nevermind, looks like Cyberpower only offers watercooled machines... :dunno:

I'd add more/redundant drives unless you have some other way of backing up your data.

If you already have a keyboard, great, otherwise I'd recommend hitting the MicroCenter to try some different brands/models.

I'll just post here instead of starting my own thread.

Want to pick the brain of the other IT nerds and those with geek-cred on here... some of you may've heard me complain about my 10yr old rig (2Ghz P4, 512MB, nVidia GeForce3) -- well, I'm about to bite the bullet for a new setup from cyberpowerpc.com

I'd like to build another that'll last 10+years, so I want an i7 core with a decent mid-upper video card (nVidia GTX 460 or better)

Anyone wanna shoot holes through this system?

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1D7RMV

I'm not a big fan of that case and considering switching the the Obsidian 700D (which has a $50 Mail in rebate, so the cost will wash out). I know others have said the onboard audio isn't the best solution (though it's gotten better in recent years) and I figure if I can't handle it I'll add a card later.

I'd also consider a laptop, but I figure tablets are the future... so I'll end up with a powerPC with a "dumb" client (tablet, shitty laptop) and use VNC to tap into the heavy-lifting rig.

Thoughts?

What are you planning on using said system for? Surfing the net and checking email? Video editing? Hardcore gaming? For an average user that seems like a bit of over kill.

Whatcha lookin' to do with this machine, any gaming? If not, you should be fine.

If it were me, I'd skip the water cooling and go with good old-fashioned fans. I just don't trust water inside a case filled with electronics. Again, that's me. Nevermind, looks like Cyberpower only offers watercooled machines... :dunno:

I'd add more/redundant drives unless you have some other way of backing up your data.

If you already have a keyboard, great, otherwise I'd recommend hitting the MicroCenter to try some different brands/models.

any particular reason(s) why the setup is not so good for gaming? i'm wayyyyy behind on computer stuff, so i'm trying to get caught up. is it cause he only has 1 vid card selected? i had no idea you could get 3 or more video cards. craziness.

:plus1: The lifespan of the liquid cooling system is around 50,000 hours, which is approximately 5.7 years of constant on. I'd just expect to replace it in 6 years due to technological advances anyway. We'll probably be running quad octocores with 100 GB of Ram and 20TB hard drives by then anyhow.

I'm leery about the water-cooling too, but it's sealed from the factory, so I'll give it a try until it fails, then if I need to go the fan/heat pipe route I will.

I still don't have a storage solution. :( I'm too cheap to get or build a NAS with RAID1 or RAID5.

I comes w/ a keyboard and mouse. My old keyboard is a PS/2 connection so it's likely I'll need a new one anyway. I don't need anything fancy.

What are you planning on using said system for? Surfing the net and checking email? Video editing? Hardcore gaming? For an average user that seems like a bit of over kill.

The vast majority of my old PC is relegated to e-mail and web surfing only because that's all it's capable of doing, it takes approx 60% of my resources just to run firefox. I used to do a bunch of things -- gaming, video editing, photoshop, CAD, etc... but the ol' girl can't run any of the new stuff. Hell, I can't even watch videos on Youtube in 720p because it'll freeze.

I've got my XBox for gaming now, but I'd like to have something capable of running a game at decent resolution (1920x1200 / 1080p) if I so desire. I think the GTX 460 is the cheapest I can get and still accomplish that.

Edited by JRMMiii

:plus1: The lifespan of the liquid cooling system is around 50,000 hours, which is approximately 5.7 years of constant on. I'd just expect to replace it in 6 years due to technological advances anyway. We'll probably be running quad octocores with 100 GB of Ram and 20TB hard drives by then anyhow.

100GB of rams? We'll never need more than 640k, but you're probably too young to remember that infamous statement (made by one W. Gates)... :D

I'm not worried about the lifespan of LC, I'm worried about it springing a leak...especially after I change out the fluid and don't tighten a clamp enough or get it seated 'just so'.

Looking around some more, looks like you <can> get air-cooled systems from cyberpower, you just need to start with one of the lower-priced models.

I spec'ed one out with fans, same video, proc, and rams, but added a 40GB SSD for the OS (in addition to the 1TB storage drive), some USB 3 ext. ports, and a name-brand 600w PSU, ended up around $50 cheaper.

Tried to share it/save it, but failed.

I'd love to spec an SSD, but I'll upgrade later when the costs come down.

I mean, with the one I setup, it's 1TB included (single drive)... and I can take like $22 off if I go down to a 500GB, or for an additional $4, I can get a 30GB SSD. I need more than 30GB and I need a system I can use right out of the box, not one where I spend all this coin, only to go out to amazon, tigerdirect, or newegg and get additional HDs for more $$$$

...I still don't have a storage solution. :( I'm too cheap to get or build a NAS with RAID1 or RAID5.

I comes w/ a keyboard and mouse. My old keyboard is a PS/2 connection so it's likely I'll need a new one anyway. I don't need anything fancy...

Pick up a 1TB drive for $60, a SATA enclosure for $20, presto! - storage solution. Copy your stuff over to it every now and then, turn off/unplug when not in use. "If you have a good backup, the server doesn't crash", or something like that. Karen's Replicator (click) is a free (as in beer) tool that works nicely. Interface is dated, but who cares?

If you're going to do any amount of typing, a quality keyboard can make life much nicer. The ergonomic ones take 5 minutes to get used to, and then it makes it difficult to go back to a 'regular' one. Kinda like buying quality speakers for your hi-fi (!!!), budget $50 for a keyboard, you won't be disappointed.

I'd love to spec an SSD, but I'll upgrade later when the costs come down.

I mean, with the one I setup, it's 1TB included (single drive)... and I can take like $22 off if I go down to a 500GB, or for an additional $4, I can get a 30GB SSD. I need more than 30GB and I need a system I can use right out of the box, not one where I spend all this coin, only to go out to amazon, tigerdirect, or newegg and get additional HDs for more $$$$

Shoplift it then, ya cheap bastid! :D

(I kept your 1TB drive, just added the SSD for speed. Unless you start gaming, you won't notice the difference unless you run benchmarks. Even then you won't notice it, you'll just see it on a report.)

Ok, new config -- sans Win7, approx $1096 OTD - $50 Mail in rebate on the case = $1046.

Configuration #: 1D7T16

Configuration URL:

Product Name: Gamer Infinity 8800 Pro (NO MONITOR)

+ $30 for Win7 Pro Student ed.

Keep shooting holes through it.... thoughts?

Ok, new config -- sans Win7, approx $1096 OTD - $50 Mail in rebate on the case = $1046.

Configuration #: 1D7T16

Configuration URL:

Product Name: Gamer Infinity 8800 Pro (NO MONITOR)

+ $30 for Win7 Pro Student ed.

Keep shooting holes through it.... thoughts?

You should really reconsider the power supply. Not the power, but the manufacturer. It never ceases to amaze me, when people spend $300 on video card or $150 on a case, then turn around and buy the cheapest power supply they can find. Because as you know power is just power. <--- Sarcasm just in case you missed it. Now I'm not saying you need to spend $300 on a power supply, but the one you have selected has some bad reviews and cost $36 bucks. You can google xtremegear 700w power supply and read the threads. The PS on their site seem a bit expensive. Too bad they don't have a "No Power Supply" option. You could buy a much better one for cheaper from newegg or Microcenter. I am running a 550W OCZ Fatality modular 80+ certified PS and I think I paid about $55 for it. It works great and OCZ stands behind their product. Out of the 50 or 60 OCZ power supplies I have used on builds over the last few years I had 1 fail about 2 years after purchase. I shipped the failed supply to them and they shipped a re-certified unit right back and paid the shipping both ways.

Edit: I'm not saying OCZ is the best, but 1 or 2 failures out of 50 or 60 isn't bad. Especially since the one that failed was located in the middle of the sticks in PA. (power sucks out there)

Edited by Meanie

One hdd, one optical drive, one video card - 500, 650, or 700w should be plenty, although more than needed won't hurt, and will allow for future additions/upgrades. Modern PSUs use only what they need, so you <shouldn't> be using much more electricity with a more powerful PSU.

Thermaltake, PC Power and Cooling, Cooler Master, Enermax, and Corsair are all good brands.

Don't know nuthin' about Raidmax.

My one and only experience with OCZ's "customer service" was much less than satisfactory, but I'll take Meanie's word that they make good stuff.

Hmmm... do you think the "850 Watts - Raidmax RX-850AE 80 Plus Gold Power Supply" would be more acceptable?

Looks like it has good reviews, 80+ certified for efficiency, and it's modular. Yeah I would say it's better..... Here are some specs....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152043

Even if you don't buy from newegg, they have specs for just about everything.

My one and only experience with OCZ's "customer service" was much less than satisfactory, but I'll take Meanie's word that they make good stuff.

Mind elaborating? Just for my personal knowledge?

I like getting other people opinions.....