I want an RC plane now...

RSVDon

I used to be into RC planes, sort of. I would build them from the wood kits....hours and hours gluing and sanding and painting and measuring. It was detailed painstaking work. Then I would take them out, fire them up and instantly crash them into a million little pieces. Did that four or five times never having anything even close to a decent flight. 45 seconds tops of out of control straight into the ground. Took me awhile to understand that it was a hobby I was not capable of doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNGi9XMAU8Y

Get a Stryker. I got one. Beginner to expert. I would suggest buy the foam body ($30?) then a good radio and motor so u can swap it out easily. Can fly super slow or screams. No landing gear will take off and land easily.

these newer engines are not the earlier ducted fans. They are real miniature turbine engines.

Dude that sat next to me at Rockwell was a RC pattern champion. He was good.

And it is quite expensive, but lots of fun.

There's a RC runway up at Alum Creek. I stop there on weekends to watch.

North on Africa from Lewis Center. Left side.

my Rc car.. has a range over over 1/4 mile.. i have strapped a live wireless camera to it and just "gone driving" at the local park. they use 2.4hz signals not FM/crystals like they use to.

that thing looked like it was covering a quarter mile in about 8 seconds.

How can you see the damn thing to turn it around???

Never got to mess around with the old ramjets and haven't seen the newer turbine toys.........But, I used to be into RC when I was a teen......I raced electric buggies and my Dad built us boats and planes to play with. Those planes take some skill and patience to fly -- we had some small gas trainers and a couple low-winged craft ( F4U Corsair, PT40 ) that were a blast to fly but F4U and PT took STEADY hands to keep off the ground ;)

There was a fella back in the late 80's at the local RC Hawks air field that built a 1/10 scale P-51 tankbuster with a serious engine "upgrade" ( more lke overkill ) and was pulling a low altitude, high speed flyby when it tore a wing clean off - so from sweet scale-model to a lawn dart in less than a second! Sad sad sad thing to see........especially for the owner that had tons of hours and thousands of bucks in building it.

that thing looked like it was covering a quarter mile in about 8 seconds.

How can you see the damn thing to turn it around???

most of those higher end RC have 5-10mile radius for their radio.. and most have a pin camera in the nose cockpit area with the reciever/vid screen in the controller or i have seen "sun glasses" with HUD

They use spectrum radios now. No more tagging the radio with a flag of the channel your on. Spectrum searches for a unused channel in seconds and locks on. U can have a hundred flyers in one spot and not worry. Ok radio is about $300, cheap radio $50. You can get a stryker, screw painting it and have fun for little money. Litho batts are a little expensive. u can buy a Stryker ready to fly with everything under$300 but radio and components will be junky but suitable for a monthly flyer.