Time to upgrade?

cornbreadxd

Hey ROXYNOODLE!!! (its dave but charles is close enough in the alphabet), Ok yeah i'll try to look into a sv1000 and check into the z750s, I actaully remember getting on one 2 years ago at the bike show at the IX Center and I thought it was nice along with the z1000 but the price tag wasn't at the time and I wasn't riding back then.

Oops! Sorry, Dave, I'm so bad with names. I have no idea how I learned 150+ students a year.

Another good bike to consider might be a Concours 1000. I see 2000 year models or so all the time for the price you have to spend. Sporty but comfortable for you and your gf. SV1000s tend to be cheaper than VFRs. Sprints are kind of in between. I have seen a 98 VFR out here in your price range. It has the sweet gear driven cams. Check out the FZ1 as well.

I can already tell you what will happen with your ex though. Once you have the bigger bike, you will stop riding it and it will sit there. I wanted to keep mine, too, but after realizing I only rode it like 200 miles last year, it was time to sell it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops! Sorry, Dave, I'm so bad with names. I have no idea how I learned 150+ students a year.

Another good bike to consider might be a Concours 1000. I see 2000 year models or so all the time for the price you have to spend. Sporty but comfortable for you and your gf. SV1000s tend to be cheaper than VFRs. Sprints are kind of in between. I have seen a 98 VFR out here in your price range. It has the sweet gear driven cams. Check out the FZ1 as well.

I can already tell you what will happen with your ex though. Once you have the bigger bike, you will stop riding it and it will sit there. I wanted to keep mine, too, but after realizing I only rode it like 200 miles last year, it was time to sell it.

+1 The old Connie's are good bikes, but they definitely aren't lookers lol.

Not sure how set you are on an injected bike, but if your bummed about missing out on an '05 ZZR600 check craigslist for one in Piqua Ohio - its a good friend of mine that got one new for his fiance' and she's barely ridden it - he lowered it for her and shaved the seat down some but can be put back to stock height easily. There's only about 1600 miles on this bike for relatively the same price as the bike you missed out on. The bike is still in the garage and still for sale if you're interested.

http://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/2325861996.html

get any early 2000's 600 and you'll be happy i made the same switch a couple of years ago.....night and day and i dont think an 650 would be enough of a jump. I got an 01 gsxr 600 for 2500 bucks last year just got to search craigslist all the time and be able to go out that moment the bike pops up cuz good deals go really fast on craigslist.....bought my 1000 2 hours after it popped up for 4k bucks.......and i really dont mind the riding position of supersport bikes i rode over 18000 miles last year on a 600rr/750/gsxr 600......

I'm not really into the gsxr's too much (I know the rider makes the bike but) EVERYBODY around here has a 600 gsxr or a hayabusa and I definitely don't want a hayabusa. I really prefer agility over straight line speed anyway because I really don't ride balls to walls anywhere except twisties when available

yeah I know 1 bike can't do it all...(which is why i'll eventually have more than 1 bike when i can afford to do so) but i was under the impression that a ninja 650r is more of a lateral move than an upgrade. But i mean I haven't outgrown the ninja 500, I just rode 2-up for 2 hours (55 city miles) saturday night after doing a 3 hour ride saturday morning (130 miles) and it was awesome the whole day I just think I want more out of the bike because I'm pulling more out of myself every day I turn the key...<quote?

If this is how you truly feel' date=' then a Ninja650R or SV650 type of motorcycle is what you're gunning for. Anybody that tells you a 75hp machine isn't enough motorcycle is doing it wrong. Plain and simple.[/quote']

I was very close to buying an EX650r before I picked up the viffer. Sits fairly upright, fully fared and pretty flickable from what I've read but also a bit buzzy.

I guess you really need to define "upgrade" in your mind. There are gives and takes with any change. More balls=less MPG. Smaller=what are you gaining? Do you commute or do you play? If I had a 500 and was willing to keep it for the commute, I would get something different, if not opposite. A second bike could be a gas burner, a sportbike, a DS, a cruiser .... define your true intentions and the sky is your limit (up to $3500).

I started on an ex500 about 12 years ago. The bike is a dog when it comes to riding 2up, but it is certainly a good starter bike. I think I put 5000 miles on mine before I upgraded but everyone is different. There are tons of good bikes out there and If you look at almost every suggestion people just say to buy the bike they have because they think that they are the best. I would say the first thing you need to do is look at where and how you ride and see what bikes can do what you want to do. Once you decide on your next bike take some time and find a good deal. I waited months and drove 10 hours to get my last bike.

I guess you really need to define "upgrade" in your mind. There are gives and takes with any change. More balls=less MPG. Smaller=what are you gaining? Do you commute or do you play? If I had a 500 and was willing to keep it for the commute, I would get something different, if not opposite. A second bike could be a gas burner, a sportbike, a DS, a cruiser .... define your true intentions and the sky is your limit (up to $3500).

Yeah that totally makes sense which is why I'm kinda feeling a fuel injected bike over carbs, so at least I'll have that difference over my current bike. Is there ANY way at all to test ride bikes that you guys know of other than those trackdays that i've seen KTM put on that supply bikes for trial runs? I know for insurance reasons testing bikes is nothing like a car but I kinda would feel weird about showing up to a craigslist ad without a real intention of buying just to ride someone elses bike, I mean I'd have cash available in case of a drop but it'd be a waste of their time.

I do like the look of the sv650 and sv1000 though and it would be a big difference from my 500 especially with more room and power I could probably invest in a Givi.

Yeah that totally makes sense which is why I'm kinda feeling a fuel injected bike over carbs, so at least I'll have that difference over my current bike. Is there ANY way at all to test ride bikes that you guys know of other than those trackdays that i've seen KTM put on that supply bikes for trial runs? I know for insurance reasons testing bikes is nothing like a car but I kinda would feel weird about showing up to a craigslist ad without a real intention of buying just to ride someone elses bike, I mean I'd have cash available in case of a drop but it'd be a waste of their time.

I do like the look of the sv650 and sv1000 though and it would be a big difference from my 500 especially with more room and power I could probably invest in a Givi.

Go on some OR rides. I'm sure some people would let you take a spin. Some dealerships still allow test rides, but there usually needs to be a pretty honest intent to purchase.....I.e... joyrides are frowned upon.

Wow! Thanks for the info I may buy something before then but i'd love to test some of those bikes anyway, too bad they probably won't allow for use on those winding roads in lexington, I loved driving down there in my car

Go on some OR rides. I'm sure some people would let you take a spin. Some dealerships still allow test rides, but there usually needs to be a pretty honest intent to purchase.....I.e... joyrides are frowned upon.

And yeah that'd be great, who wants to let me on there bike first?!?!