Time to upgrade?

cornbreadxd

I've been thinking about upgrading to another bike, right now my Ninja 500 is fine but I feel like I can handle something bigger. Last year was my first year of riding and I took and passed the MSF course, right now I've got just over 7k miles of riding under my belt and alot of 2up riding, bad weather etc...(I figured I'd only get better the more I rode)...but enough about that.

I'm wondering if it would be worth upgrading to something new BUT I kinda don't want to sell the 500 because I still like the bike and I can still get alot of use out of it, I really want something with a decent AM and something I can get plenty of service out of. I missed a deal on an 05' ZZR 600 ($3700) recently so I'm somewhat discouraged about the search because the prices in my area are high for some reason (I assume because many riders don't actually have a license and just ride for show)

I would prefer a FI bike because all I've been on is carbbed, my own and my friends yzf600, how is the bike market in columbus?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prices on motorcycles are up right now because its spring. The fact that gas is pushing $4/gallon isn't helping either. Prices should start coming back down around august/september, but the best time to buy is over the winter.

Look around and figure out what bike you want then if you don't know a lot about bikes take someone with you who does so they can help you look it over. Oh and BEWARE of scams on craigslist if the price looks too good to be true chances are it is.

keep a eye out on a suzi SV...they are really a under appeciated bike IMO..and can usually find one at a good price here is a example http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/2271490407.html

^ this.. My 650 is a super fun bike that I learned on. Plus the 02 and under are carbureted. V-twin. :D

^ this.. My 650 is a super fun bike that I learned on. Plus the 02 and under are carbureted. V-twin. :D

not the 1000 they have been FI since the intro of the TL in 97...im not sure the 650 would be a huge step up from what he has now, not sure how big of a jump he wants to make

Edited by 2talltim

The spring time price bumps are bull, you can still find some good deals. I'm not sure what you mean by decent AM but my suggestion naturally is a 02+ VFR :D

I mean a decent AfterMarket parts/accessory selection, and I don't mean chrome whatever and spiked bolts etc. I haven't been on a sv650 but I've heard alot of people on the ninja 500 forum have moved onto them, and I know there is ALOT of stuff available to mod the sv650, It's still in the air though I don't know how it would handle 2up riding and what cost I should be looking at for one.

I mean a decent AfterMarket parts/accessory selection, and I don't mean chrome whatever and spiked bolts etc. I haven't been on a sv650 but I've heard alot of people on the ninja 500 forum have moved onto them, and I know there is ALOT of stuff available to mod the sv650, It's still in the air though I don't know how it would handle 2up riding and what cost I should be looking at for one.

ah gotcha that sounds like the VFR is still a good suggestion :)

meh, i don't know I've seen a few older VFR's before and they look kinda heavy im 5'8 140lb. so I know It would fit but they seem chunky.

compared to a sport bike they are "heavy". I think mines 500lbs which is only about 100 more than my 600RR was. I ride like a girl but to me the difference doesn't seem much worse handling wise and I actually prefer it over my old 636

Hahaha Brian he called your bike fat!! Lol

it prefers to be called husky, much like its rider :lol:

What's your mission and budget for the new bike? More power/sport, hooliganism, commuting, two-up sport touring, track days?

The extra mass of the VFR allows it to 'hold the road' better :) .

The plus-size sportbike/small-sport-tour class (VFR, Sprint, Blackbird, FJR, new Ninja 1000, etc.) is a good choice for a do it all kind of bike.

Yeah I get you on the extra mass because I was originally looking at a zx7r but when I saw it in person it made my ninja 500 seem like a pit bike. It was just too big but I didn't get it on the road so I don't know about the performance but its supposed to be really stable, I guess i just like the feel of smaller bikes.

My budget is about $3500, I wasn't looking for anything brand new but nothing smashed to pieces, and yeah I want more power, good enough for 2up work and a comfortable commute. No hooliganism I prefer both wheels on the ground but I do want it to be agile. Most of my riding is going to be in the city because I have to ride out 40min to get to twisties.

I was talked into getting an SV. It's a good choice. Light n nimble, reliable. Pretty comfy, I'm 73". Usually can be found at a decent price. Lots of upgrade as lots of GSXR components are an easy swap.

you know I never even considered a sv1000, first one I could find w/o much searching.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/2339569722.html

but I didn't think of 1000cc bikes because the roads are...A DISGRACE TO HUMANITY, so i kinda felt like THAT much power would be unnecessary because I'd get into the powerband and immediately be at a light. The mileage might get annoying too though but it's still a good suggestion. Thanks. Just wish there was a way to test ride some stuff but everyone is afraid of a possible drop

Edited by cornbreadxd

Hi Cornbread (was it Charles?). I met you back on ex500 and was the one that let you know about your ex.

If you like the riding position on the ex, you would like a VFR, Sprint or SV1000. May as well go for more power with 2 up riding. None of those will be "too much" like a liter superbike. They are on the hefty side but I'm a chick whose 5'4" and 130lbs and I manage, lol! And your passenger will thank you.

If you can find one, a Z750S like mine would fit what you are looking for perfectly. They have a decent aftermarket since alot of Z1000/ZX10R parts will fit too. Plus they are pretty inexpensive for the amount of bike you get, and very comfy ergos. Also, I take the wifey out riding with me sometimes and it does great 2up, it's definitely a step up from a Ninja 500. It only has about as much power as a CBR F4i so you won't get over your head as easy as you would on a modern SS bike. Plus it is FI, which is a big plus over my old Ninja 250.

Edited by drew95gt

Hi Cornbread (was it Charles?). I met you back on ex500 and was the one that let you know about your ex.

If you like the riding position on the ex, you would like a VFR, Sprint or SV1000. May as well go for more power with 2 up riding. None of those will be "too much" like a liter superbike. They are on the hefty side but I'm a chick whose 5'4" and 130lbs and I manage, lol! And your passenger will thank you.

Hey ROXYNOODLE!!! (its dave but charles is close enough in the alphabet), Ok yeah i'll try to look into a sv1000 and check into the z750s, I actaully remember getting on one 2 years ago at the bike show at the IX Center and I thought it was nice along with the z1000 but the price tag wasn't at the time and I wasn't riding back then.