2006 GSXR Front Wheel Drag?

madcat6183

So my 06 GSXR 600's front wheel is dragging really bad. I noticed it before but really didn't think much of it until Nick took a look at it and said it was way worse than it should be. He recommended cleaning the rotors and calipers since I just put brand new Carbon Lorraine pads on. No effect.

I pulled the front axle and regreased it, torqued it to spec, and put everything back together. Nothing.

I am thinking I will just take it to Independent since they are 5 minutes away and have them hopefully look at it, but naturally any ideas would be apprecaited.

Unless I can get an appointment tomorrow after work or Tuesday, in which case, I will load her up and drop her off.

Thanks!

So my 06 GSXR 600's front wheel is dragging really bad. I noticed it before but really didn't think much of it until Nick took a look at it and said it was way worse than it should be. He recommended cleaning the rotors and calipers since I just put brand new Carbon Lorraine pads on. No effect.

I pulled the front axle and regreased it, torqued it to spec, and put everything back together. Nothing.

I am thinking I will just take it to Independent since they are 5 minutes away and have them hopefully look at it, but naturally any ideas would be apprecaited.

Unless I can get an appointment tomorrow after work or Tuesday, in which case, I will load her up and drop her off.

Thanks!

Not sure what my 2007 gsxr 600 had done, but somehow it was modified to pretty much free spin the front.. not sure it did anything but a lot of people do it to the gsxrs. Then when you hit the brakes lightly on and off you here it clicking..I can't explain it.. On the other hand.. I'm sure yours is fine, thats just probbaly how they are stock..

Not sure what my 2007 gsxr 600 had done, but somehow it was modified to pretty much free spin the front.. not sure it did anything but a lot of people do it to the gsxrs. Then when you hit the brakes lightly on and off you here it clicking..I can't explain it.. On the other hand.. I'm sure yours is fine, thats just probbaly how they are stock..

Who ever had your bike made your front rotors floating rotors with the carrier buttons.

Gixxie, yeah I took the padds off and cleaned the piss out of the pistons and the rear side where the plate sits with brake cleaner. It does have a bremo MC so I am wondering if there is an adjustment on there too.

I actually wanted to get it free floating like Dub's was so most likely just have them do that while they are in there.

I mean it rode fine, but when you are trying to spin the wheel on the front stand, there is a ton of drag, it won't even make a full rotation without a lot of force.

Oh well, not a big deal just want to get it done asap.

I'm no brake expert, but I would think that kind of drag would create a LOT of friction and heat with speed, esp X-way riding. Heat could end up cooking the fluid in the caliper and hasten the degradation of the lower end of the rubber brake line, creating a safety hazard. If it was my bike/my life, I would certainly have a qualified mechnanic take a look.

Is it possible that the return orifice in the master cylinder is plugged? If the MC is malfunctioning, it could result in a build-up of pressure in the caliper and cause the symptoms you're describing.

Good luck!

I'm pretty sure your bike's fine considering both of mine have always acted the same way -- I'm on my 2nd set of pads on my 14 now, and my old YZF was the same as well -- But, after the swap and bleed they both would still drag a bit - not with enough force to generate any real heat though, and once you're riding it the system will relax some and reduce the pressure against the pads until you hit the lever again.

Once your pads run in some it should drag less too.

Check your front axle torque just to make sure your not smashing the spacers into the bearings more than necessary.

Edited by Hellmutt

Yeah it def. sounds like it would be fine, but just to be sure I am taking her into the shop tomorrow as if something is a tad off, I want it to be fixed and ready to go. Especially with a lot of track time coming up soon.

I appreciate all the help. Also, BLUE, I stole your "tool" for your front axle idea, and got one at HD last night at 759pm 1 minute before they closed. They were PISSED at me.

Have you tried to losen the front fork pinch bolts and bounce up and down on the front end? Some front stands hold the forks funny and don't allow the front to center itself when tightening the axle. I always leave the axle bolt loose and putt the brake lever and hold it while i tighten the fork pinch bolts then tighten the axle bolt.

Gixxie, I just took the front calipers off, recleaned them like new, and out them along with the Carbon Lorraines back on. When they were off it made several revolutions, then stopped after several. Put the calipers back on, and makes about one lol. I did find out the owner prior to me did the "floating rotor" thing on 1 side of the rotors but not both. I guess people remove the little washers behind the rivets in the rotors and call them floating...

Also Nick called and told me to do the same thing you all are talking about with the pinch bolts and the axle, and I was just walking out to do that. Will respond with that shortly.

Brian, thanks for the update, it sounds like this is definitely the overall general consensus that the OEM rotors etc with race pads just do this. Had I opted for the low grade pads it might not have been an issue, but definitely wanted to get good ones.

Thanks for all's help, going to rock the last little trick out.

K tried that, seemed to help a little, Im going to go at it more tomorrow night. Let me clarify the "floating" rotors, on both rotors he removed the outside washers, not the inside. FRom my understanding that is because he did not remove the rotors from the wheel so he couldnt do the inside.

I might do that this weekend too, I have some time to work on the bike and figure it might help from what I have read.

Gixxie and KTM, did you guys do a floating coversion up front, or already buy nicer aftermarket rotors, I am guessing nicer rotors lol.

100% buy real ones. The floating mod is not something i would do personally. If u have stiff ones i will gladly trade you for the "floating" ones i have lol. Both my current gsxrs wheels spin around 2 full revolutions then just stop. When i had full floating brembo's I could walk away and it would spin for a while. Boy i wish i still had them..