Bored...Whatcha think?

chevysoldier

Which do you like better?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you like better?

a stroke is line around something, and 1px = 1 pixel. for example;

examplein.png

the stroked type has a 2px red stroke, and the unstroked type has a 0px stroke as it has no stroke at all.

also, the grey in the logotype is a bit hard to read with the multi-color background. if you get rid of the stroke I would think about putting something behind the type so it stands out from the photo a bit better otherwise it will be lost.

as for which image; the first one is better at the moment, but i think with some cropping you could make the 2nd image look good as well. if you have higher resolution versions to work with i would play around with cropping the 2nd image down a bit so more of the image is filled with the bikes, kind of like the first image. the reason i suggest doing this is you would have more room to play around with the ohio riders logo in the second image if you have a higher resolution master. white/negative space is typically a good thing as it gives the viewer a bit of breathing room and doesnt leave the image feeling claustrophobic. the trick is knowing where your focal point is set and balancing your focal point with the negative space. focal hierarchy is the most important factor when dealing with any image, and it's what you should use as a foundation when putting together any type of imagery or typography.

Ah I gotcha. Like I said, I just pulled the logo off of a thread on here. Only change I made was removing the "for motorcyclists in and around Ohio" It was really hard to read. I'll try what you recommend. Thanks.

Underexpose. In that case, I would have made 2 shots, one as is, and another with the shutter speed cranked up, or the aperture cranked down (higher number) to get the background. I'm not proficient enough to do it, but you can combine the 2 such as would be done for a HDR picture. With the little bit that's blown out, I think just stopping it down a couple stops would have helped, then bring everything else back up in PS. I am a total PS noob, and can't do much more than levels and color balance, and maybe adding a logo.

I'll remember that for next time.

If you are really trying to learn photoshop, the second pic has some great potential. PhotoShop out the house in the background, bring the left side in a bit, and bring some focus onto the road. This will help emphasize the riding aspect of it. Also what MJ, Likwid, and Jporter said about the logo and sky.

try a white stroke with #3 instead of black. should get rid of the white line around the type, or at least hide it. also might want to try reducing the logo size a tiny big so it isn't bleeding off the edge of the image. give it a little breathing room and it will be happy.

zOMG! If I ever see you use a pattern overlay or a bevel/emboss I will hurt your face! :D

I'm not being a dick to Casper, but the image in that thread is not appropriate for what you're doing, ideally for something like what you've done you'd want a very large source image without a background, and in an ideal world you'd have it in vector art that you can import into PS as a "smart object" that way you can scale/adjust/etc without distortion.

But all in all, you're learning, and that's the best part :)

Here's a quick try, basically just pulled the white out as a drop shadow

bt73B.gif

try a white stroke with #3 instead of black. should get rid of the white line around the type, or at least hide it. also might want to try reducing the logo size a tiny big so it isn't bleeding off the edge of the image. give it a little breathing room and it will be happy.

I am using PS Elements and I found the strokes, but I couldn't figure out where to change the colors and the px. It gives like 8 "auto strokes"

Not trying to be different but I like the second one better. The first one seems to be messed with too much and looks artificial.

lol, you're the only one.

You should shop out that truck in the background...

I'm not good enough to shop out something that big.

zOMG! If I ever see you use a pattern overlay or a bevel/emboss I will hurt your face! :D

I'm not being a dick to Casper, but the image in that thread is not appropriate for what you're doing, ideally for something like what you've done you'd want a very large source image without a background, and in an ideal world you'd have it in vector art that you can import into PS as a "smart object" that way you can scale/adjust/etc without distortion.

But all in all, you're learning, and that's the best part :)

Here's a quick try, basically just pulled the white out as a drop shadow

Why shouldn't I used overlays or bevel/emboss?

No, the image really isn't for these. I had to resize the photos way down or else the logo was really distorted when I enlarged it enough to work.

There is no background on the logo, but there is the slight white at the edges.

It's just super duper lame, Photoshop != Microsoft WordArt.

I'm just being a dick though, glad to see another chopper... and I'm hoooorible

lol.

I scrapped the logo I got off the site. Found what font Casper used and copied the colors so now I have a decent sized logo without the edges being white. working with that now.

lol.

I scrapped the logo I got off the site. Found what font Casper used and copied the colors so now I have a decent sized logo without the edges being white. working with that now.

Good man! Just remember, less is more. A good friend of mine (happens to be a professional graphic designer) gave me this advice once.

"Take it to the absolute minimum you think accomplishes your goal... then reduce it more"

Very good advice when it comes to photoshop.

Good advice.

I just found how to stroke it.....;)

I was looking in the auto section, but found it under edit menu. I can now select the width and color. yay!

You can also select the layer you're working on and click the little fx icon, ignore the red circle, it's the fx at the very bottom

photoshopToggleFx2.png

That looks good with the white stroke, bring Ohio a little closer to Riders though.

You may want to try adding a little (LITTLE) drop shadow to the text layer, basically you probably want to bring it out from the background just a little.

That looks good with the white stroke, bring Ohio a little closer to Riders though.

You may want to try adding a little (LITTLE) drop shadow to the text layer, basically you probably want to bring it out from the background just a little.

2q9lzdz.jpg

Now you're getting it, take a look at your first photo and your last photo :D Let me know if you need anything done, I could probably chop out the truck if you really needed it, but it's not going to look super awesomemegasauce

2vxq44w.jpg

2q9lzdz.jpg

Yeah, looks a ton better. A lot of that was due to using such a small OR logo too.

I fixed the stroking where "ohio" and "riders" meet and moved it in from the edge of the photo.

2hgssgp.jpg

I'm not to worried about the car, but if you want to mess with it, you are more than welcome to.

Now let's talk about letter spacing(kerning)! Bring that O in a little closer to the H in Ohio. Currently it looks like it is being anti-social and doesn't really want to participate in the formation of a word, yet feels obligated to be there because his friend's cat just died and he wants to offer su... sorry I got a little off track.

Anyway, letter spacing!

Oh, another thing to look into that you might find helpful is the "rule of thirds." This rule is pretty standard when putting together a composition and can be applied to pretty much any medium.

Likwid, I belong to the "less is more" school of design myself. That advice your friend gave is good, but it really depends on the type of work you are doing so it wont be true 100% of the time.

Now let's talk about letter spacing(kerning)! Bring that O in a little closer to the H in Ohio. Currently it looks like it is being anti-social and doesn't really want to participate in the formation of a word, yet feels obligated to be there because his friend's cat just died and he wants to offer su... sorry I got a little off track.

Anyway, letter spacing!

Oh, another thing to look into that you might find helpful is the "rule of thirds." This rule is pretty standard when putting together a composition and can be applied to pretty much any medium.

Likwid, I belong to the "less is more" school of design myself. That advice your friend gave is good, but it really depends on the type of work you are doing so it wont be true 100% of the time.

ZOFG...I just typed it out, now it's not spaced close enough. Arg, you're killing me! :lol:

How do I kern (correct way to say it?) the "O"? I really do appreciate the help.