Lawmakers, police argue over need for front license plate

chevysoldier

So why are rear plates ok but front plates are not?

because I'm an asshole and could care less what other people think. I too find front plates ugly. I've lived in 2 states where I didn't need a front plate and they seem to catch bad guys just fine :dunno:

Every day, you are driving among rapists, murderers, dope dealers,...etc. Front tags make it possible to locate these people without having to "flip" on every vehicle that matches the description of a vehicle that the bad guy drives.

:lol:..........wait, :gasp:.......:lol:

Is it really that hard to look at the back of the car instead of the front there bucko? Your argument is completely retarded.

fuck front plates

\thread

because I'm an asshole and could care less what other people think. I too find front plates ugly. I've lived in 2 states where I didn't need a front plate and they seem to catch bad guys just fine :dunno:

DING DING DING!!! WinnAr! Aisle 2.

I think you should have to have a license to carry only a rear plate.

Once you take a 12 hr training course and spend 2hrs at the skidpad, you would have a background check and could apply to be allowed to front plate conceal. But only in areas that didn't have a "No concealed front plate" sign, or bars, or state parks, or court parking lots.

• Upvote 1

I kind of like the onboard ID with no plates idea. The on star system is damn close and is already used to track down stolen vehicles. It seems like it wouldn't take much to transmit and read an ID through the taillights similar to the way they do diagnostics through your dash lights. On board black box technology is where it could record and transmit blocks of information. With fly by wire cars, I could see a future where the car actually has a software governor that restricts the speed to a transmitted signal from the speed limit transmitter.

At this point I have punched holes in the front of all of my cars, so no real opinion on front plates or not. For me I prefer not but only because I think it improves the looks on several cars.

I kind of like the onboard ID with no plates idea. The on star system is damn close and is already used to track down stolen vehicles. It seems like it wouldn't take much to transmit and read an ID through the taillights similar to the way they do diagnostics through your dash lights. On board black box technology is where it could record and transmit blocks of information. With fly by wire cars, I could see a future where the car actually has a software governor that restricts the speed to a transmitted signal from the speed limit transmitter.

At this point I have punched holes in the front of all of my cars, so no real opinion on front plates or not. For me I prefer not but only because I think it improves the looks on several cars.

fuck everything you just said.

the day they start putting black boxes in all cars is the day i never buy another newer car again.

i will not have big brother tracking my every movement while im driving, especially not voluntarily. fuck that.

i wouldnt even buy some newer GM cars because the onstar cant be removed (the hardware) without other stuff in the car being affected

I think you should have to have a license to carry only a rear plate.

Once you take a 12 hr training course and spend 2hrs at the skidpad, you would have a background check and could apply to be allowed to front plate conceal. But only in areas that didn't have a "No concealed front plate" sign, or bars, or state parks, or court parking lots.

I think it was Brock Yates who wanted an advanced driver system put in place several years ago. If you do the advanced courses, you get special plates that allowed you to go like 10-20mph over the posted limits. If you have the proper training and car control skills, he thought this could work in a similar way to the autobon. People who do not take the training must travel at the posted limits. I have a book about how he started the Cannon ball runs back in the 70's to prove the point. It had more details on the idea.

fuck everything you just said.

the day they start putting black boxes in all cars is the day i never buy another newer car again.

i will not have big brother tracking my every movement while im driving, especially not voluntarily. fuck that.

i wouldnt even buy some newer GM cars because the onstar cant be removed (the hardware) without other stuff in the car being affected

They already do. Airbag computers record speed and other data leading up to a deployment event.

I think it was Brock Yates who wanted an advanced driver system put in place several years ago. If you do the advanced courses, you get special plates that allowed you to go like 10-20mph over the posted limits. If you have the proper training and car control skills, he thought this could work in a similar way to the autobon. People who do not take the training must travel at the posted limits. I have a book about how he started the Cannon ball runs back in the 70's to prove the point. It had more details on the idea.

this would be great if it was actually hard to pass....no tests ever are though, ccw course, driving class, msf course, etc etc.....all these public tests are in place for the common retard to be able to pass...im not sure why we even have any tests to be honest, it doesnt prevent the countless number of idiots from being out on the roads

They already do. Airbag computers record speed and other data leading up to a deployment event.

not in my truck. and not in any car i ever purchase in the future. hence why i said

"the day they start putting black boxes in all cars is the day i never buy another newer car again."

theres already some new cars i would not purchase, anything that is going to track my driving habits and such? no thank you.

Both aren't necessary. One does the job' date=' and eliminating the other will save the state money. Your idea of "not subsidizing" is not without merit, but that means I pay more tax. So.. your idea is kind of merit-less, in that regard.[/quote']

You wouldn't pay more tax - those that wnat a new plate wouldhave to buy the plate at full cost rather than subsidized cost. The plate costs you something like $25 instead of $17. And that is only when you get the physical plates. If you are just renewing your stickers then you pay the same as you already do.

i wouldnt call it tin foil hat thinking - i dont want to give big brother or the insurance companies more reason to write me tickets or raise my insurance rates

get a letter in the mail, "On June 1st, at 12:21 PM, our records show that your vehicle was traveling at 72mph, instead of the posted 65mph. Enjoy your ticket - sheep."

not in my truck. and not in any car i ever purchase in the future. hence why i said

"the day they start putting black boxes in all cars is the day i never buy another newer car again."

theres already some new cars i would not purchase, anything that is going to track my driving habits and such? no thank you.

It's funny watching you squirm. :cool:

And it's not just the eeevil gubment doing it...

http://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-discount.aspx

There was talk in the UK about putting GPS trackers in all cars (new and retrofit) so that people could pay for road tax on a per-mile and time-of-day basis. Sundays on a country road would be chergad very low. Rush hour on the congested freeways would cost much more. This was all going along swimmingly until someone realized that that would give the government a database of the daily movements of every car in the country. Speeding tickets would start showing up in the mail etc.

They already keep a database of license numbers as cars pass major intersections, police vehicles, freeway bridges etc. You speed at any time, you'll get a ticket. Every time you drive past a scanner you and your car are checked for theft / warrants / insurance / tax / license status etc. If the police are looking for you and you drive a car then they will get an alert in a control center each time you drive past a scanner. Let your insurance lapse? Unless you stay off major roads, you WILL be found.

http://wiki.openrightsgroup.org/wiki/National_Vehicle_Tracking_Database

Disclaimer: I'm just telling you what they have over there. I'm not indicating support for this!

Edited by Scruit

Right' date=' because license plates never rust, or get stolen, or fall off...

Read my lips... No New Taxes!![/quote']

I read HW's lips too. How did that work out.

That $7 is gonna seem pretty silly when someone rear-ends in a hit-skip and you can't get a plate # because he has no front plate.

It's funny watching you squirm. :cool:

And it's not just the eeevil gubment doing it...

http://www.progressive.com/auto/snapshot-discount.aspx

There was talk in the UK about putting GPS trackers in all cars (new and retrofit) so that people could pay for road tax on a per-mile and time-of-day basis. Sundays on a country road would be chergad very low. Rush hour on the congested freeways would cost much more. This was all going along swimmingly until someone realized that that would give the government a database of the daily movements of every car in the country. Speeding tickets would start showing up in the mail etc.

They already keep a database of license numbers as cars pass major intersections, police vehicles, freeway bridges etc. You speed at any time, you'll get a ticket. Every time you drive past a scanner you and your car are checked for theft / warrants / insurance / tax / license status etc. If the police are looking for you and you drive a car then they will get an alert in a control center each time you drive past a scanner. Let your insurance lapse? Unless you stay off major roads, you WILL be found.

http://wiki.openrightsgroup.org/wiki/National_Vehicle_Tracking_Database

Disclaimer: I'm just telling you what they have over there. I'm not indicating support for this!

i dont sign up for the snapshot discount, and if it were made mandatory i would drop progressive, and if all insurance companies picked it up, i would get a bond and say f-em.

not squirming about anything, and if a gps tracker was placed into my car as a mandatory thing, im pretty sure when they tracked it they would never see it leave my garage....it would be like having an illegal exhaust in a place with e-check....put it on (stock system) to go get inspection, take it off afterwards...theres ways around everything.

hell, maybe even unplug the speedo sensor so my mileage never goes up - then if they try to make an argument that i gained miles but the gps never moved - it would be a bust

theres ways around everything, and the american people will only take so many violations of rights before something is done about it.

i think you should work for big brother - seems like you support all their ideas, come up with ideas of your own, and follow the law blindy (like the dancing thread...ill dance wherever the hell i want to, fuck whatever law they write....i dont dance though)

I read HW's lips too. How did that work out.

That $7 is gonna seem pretty silly when someone rear-ends in a hit-skip and you can't get a plate # because he has no front plate.

I've been in 2 different cars when being on the victim side of a hit and run...both times they were running and I got the rear plate, I'm not seeing your point?

I'd rather not involve Skynet' date=' thank you very much.[/quote']

That's the next step. Instead of mailing you a ticket they just shoot your car with a laser from a satellite. :D

How long before we all have black boxes that allow the vehicle to be remotely disabled. You find 1.85$ on the freeway? Next time your vehicle stops at your house it will be automatically disabled for 30 days.

"John Spartan you have been fined one credit for violation of the verbal morality code..."

• Upvote 1

LoL.. like I give a shit if they catch the person. If I had any amount of faith in the law enforcement community' date=' I wouldn't carry the kind of insurance that I do.[/quote']

no kidding? Again in 2 said incidents I've been involved in nothing happened to either driver other than a ticket

LoL.. like I give a shit if they catch the person. If I had any amount of faith in the law enforcement community' date=' I wouldn't carry the kind of insurance that I do.[/quote']

No license plate of offending vehicle = you are paying for the damage from your comprehensive coverage instead of your uninsured motorist coverage. = You risk getting your rates get jacked or your coverage dropped.

No license plate of offending vehicle = you are paying for the damage from your comprehensive coverage instead of your uninsured motorist coverage. = You risk getting your rates get jacked or your coverage dropped.

and from experience this happened to my buddy...had the plate of the car that hit him and all they did was ticket him and it wasn't even for the accident so then my buddy who got hit got fucked on his own insurance

no kidding? Again in 2 said incidents I've been involved in nothing happened to either driver other than a ticket

What happens to the other driver is not as much of a concern as which insurance pays for my car. either their insurance does, or if they are uninsured then my uninsured motorist coverage pays it as a non-chargable accident.

If you get no plat enumber then you UM coverage won't apply and you pay it out your own collision coverage. Costs you $$$ directly. usually a higher deductible etc.

and from experience this happened to my buddy...had the plate of the car that hit him and all they did was ticket him and it wasn't even for the accident so then my buddy who got hit got fucked on his own insurance

Was it the other driver's fault? Just becuase the other guy ran doesn't mean it was thay guy's fault.

Did he have UM coverage?

i don't know if you're missing or just dodging my earlier post but here it is:

I've been in 2 different cars when being on the victim side of a hit and run...both times they were running and I got the rear plate, I'm not seeing your point?

:lol:..........wait, :gasp:.......:lol:

Is it really that hard to look at the back of the car instead of the front there bucko? Your argument is completely retarded.

Spoken like a person who will be the first to jump down an officers throat when they have an accident. Ever tried driving in the opposite direction of the car you are trying to get the tag of in traffic and typing on a computer while driving? Nothing retarded about it! Actually makes perfect sense.