Verizon help?

35RFTW

I currently am about a year out on my upgrade and stuck with an original Droid. Can anyone help me out on getting an early upgrade? I know I have seen various posts on here before from Verizon reps. Would greatly appreciate it!

- Insurance on the phone?

- 'Accidentally' run it over with a truck

- new phone!

according to VerizonWireless' website, they don't sell series 1 Droids any longer, so you <should> be able to get something newer (unless they have some refurbs in the back).

i have a brand new never used BB Storm you could have cheap...

***edit - with the competition these days, you could try asking for an early upgrade, and threatening to leave if you don't get what you want. Definitely won't get an upgrade if you don't ask.

- Insurance on the phone?

- 'Accidentally' run it over with a truck

- new phone!

according to VerizonWireless' website, they don't sell series 1 Droids any longer, so you <should> be able to get something newer (unless they have some refurbs in the back).

i have a brand new never used BB Storm you could have cheap...

***edit - with the competition these days, you could try asking for an early upgrade, and threatening to leave if you don't get what you want. Definitely won't get an upgrade if you don't ask.

Appreciate the offer, but I am looking to get into a iPhone4.

iphone4s or iphone 5 (and their release dates for verizon) will probably be announced this month at the conference they have. or maybe it won't.

anyway, i would wait til the conference is over at least.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but currently corporate vzw locations are unable to offer any upgrade exceptions for the iPhone or 4g devices due licensing restrictions. I've seen upgrade requests go from rep to supervisor to associate director then center director get denied....I work at the corp HQ here in Dublin and haven't seen it happen yet. If your willing to settle for something other than an iPhone or 4g device I'm confident we could work something out..

I upgraded mine and my daughters phone to the iphone 4 almost a year before we were eligible.

I has several problems with my Blackberry and she was on her 4th Droid Eris.

Do what my wife did,call the service center and complain like crazy !!!

It works !

• 4 weeks later...

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=3044309

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/21/current-verizon-customers-wont-be-affected-by-tiered-data-only-new-customers-and-lines/

It hasn't been made official yet but it seems Verizon has finally made

the decision to ration their data plans, so if you want to lock in an

unlimited data plan you need to sign up no later than July 6th.

**2ND UPDATE 6/25/2011**

It seems if you upgrade 7/7 or later from a feature/dumbphone to a

smartphone you will lose any unlimited data that you have and be forced

into tiers.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06...unlimited/

**UPDATE 6/24/2011**

Follow this link to see photos of the memo:

http://www.androidcentral.com/ver...ete-detail

Verizon indirect retailer e-mail

As of this morning we have been given the green light to

start training on the data changes Verizon Wireless is making effective

7/7/11.

$29.99 unlimited data will be discontinued effective 7/7/11

• EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That have our $29.99 unlimited

data plan WILL BE GRANDFATHERED IN, they will keep their unlimited

plan after 7/7/11

• EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That current have the

unlimited data WILL BE ABLE TO UPGRADE AND KEEP the unlimited data

feature (No known end date on this as of this moment)

• EXISTING CUSTOMERS- That add lines post

7/7/2011, will NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited data feature

• NEW CUSTOMERS- Any customer that sets up service

from now, until 7/7/2011 WILL BE ON, AND WILL BE GRANDFATHERED into our

$29.99 unlimited data package

• NEW CUSTOMERS- Any new customer that set up

service AFTER 7/7/2011, WILL NOT be able to choose the $29.99 unlimited

plan

• BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- Currently our business

discounts apply to the $29.99 data plan on the primary line only. Most

discounts are 20% despite whatever monthly access discount they have

• BUSINESS DISCOUNTS- After 7/7/2011 data

discounts will only apply to the $50 and higher data packages on the

primary line.

• Discount break down ex. of customers with a 20% feature discount on

their primary line. ($50-20%=$40/month for 5GB and includes the

business e-mail feature)

• -- ($20/GB vs. $40/GB+ Business e-mail )

New data pricing for smart phones is as follows:

• $30 for 2GB with $10/GB overage

• $50 for 5GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage

• $80 for 10GB (this also includes business e-mail at no additional charge) with $10/GB overage

So all changes effective July 7th, 2011.

Existing customer KEEP their $29.99 unlimited data plan

If an existing customer upgrades from a feature phone to a smart phone

after 7/7/11, they will NOT be able to add on the unlimited data

package. They must choose from the new data plans.
(My (
)

personal interpretation - I think they mean if you don't already have

the data plan. Meaning the data plan will be new after 7/7/11)

Anyone who sets up new service with unlimited data, upgrades from a

feature phone to a smart phone with unlimited data, or customer

currently on the $29.99 before July, 7, 2011 will be grandfathered in.

These changes also apply to employee plans as well (personal accounts w/work discounts applied)

SO, This is a huge time for us to set our customers up with the right

package for them! We only have 14 DAYS remaining for unlimited data,

and until the new data pricing takes effect. (14 days to setup new

customers w/unlimited data, and customers upgrading from a feature phone

to a smart phone)

PLEASE, PLEASE make sure we take advantage of this heads up and get our

heavy data users set up on these unlimited plans before they change.

Please call, text or e-mail me any questions or concerns you might have.

**END UPDATE**

Current pricing is $30-$40 (depending on what you have currently, I don't know the specifics of having $30) for unlimited

New pricing tiers will be

2GB – $30/month

5GB – $50/month

10GB – $80/month

Tethering plans will be:

4GB – $50/month

7GB – $70/month

12GB – $100/month

$10/GB when you go over your allotted data

So far the rumors are saying those who get unlimited data before July

7th will have it for life (or at least an extended period even while

upgrading), which is really good when apps with video streaming like

Netflix are becoming more prevalent

I've never had a smartphone... but I was eyeing up the HTC Thunderbolt before the July 7th deadline... I've never paid for a phone in my life, but I might have to bite the bullet to get a 4G phone and still be grandfathered into the unlimited data plan :mad:

Iv been half a step away from doing away with all data on my phone ...if this is true at the end on my contract I think ill just get a old fashioned calls only phone to hell with all this BS

Edited by 2talltim

I was going to wait for biobic but my battery wrapped out on Droid 1. I am very happy with thunderbolt although I highly recommend the extended battery the larger screen and faster connection eat battery. Of course the faster connection wouldn't eat battery as much but I use my phone a lot. I thought I would miss the qwerty keyboard on the Droid but I have learned to like the thunderbolt without. I can't believe how much bigger this screen is. The bigger screen makes internet browsing much better and videos are 100% better.

...So far the rumors are saying those who get unlimited data before July 7th will have it for life

(or at least an extended period even while upgrading), which is really good when apps with video streaming like Netflix are becoming more prevalent

Well that worked out for us then cause we just upgraded both our phones to smartphones

with unlimited data packs. Don't have them yet, arriving tomorrow!

Edited by SWing'R

About Verizon's 4G...

10Gb limit? At full speed (I've heard 18-20Meg downloads) you'd burn up your monthly allowance in about 70 minutes. Once you get to your limit you'd be paying $6-7 dollars to download a CD. It would be cheaper to send the CD by USPS.

If you left your connection up running at full speed then overage charges would reach $64,000 in one month. I once logged into my remtoe CCTV system from work to view the 16-channel video wall. Forgot about it and went home. 4 days later I got back to work and realized I'd left it running. That's 16 youtube videos running similtaneously and constantly. Even if it only needed 2 meg for that, the overage charges for that silly mistake would have been over $200.

Not a cut on Verizon - I've been a customer there for 14 years and never had a problem with them. (except I have observed their tech support has a habit of ignoring difficult trouble tickets) It may just be the nature of the business that they need to charge that much / limit that much. Still, the effect is the same, no 4g for me at the house, and not on the droid either. I can't take the risk that my kid could leave a streaming HD video feed running on his computer and cost me hundreds of dollars.

I have a 2Meg wireless link to my ISP. My wireless router reports I average about 35 GB use per month. Verizon would cost me $350/mo, and my current service is $35/mo. No-brainer, really.

Edited by Scruit

something with that cant be right....i know people who watch netflix all the time and i know that runs longer than 70 minutes and they never even get close to 5g, let alone 10

on my 3g in the past 20 days ive used .131gigs and im on the internet on my phone every day...just browsing and stuff, nothing heavy

i have unlimited data on my 3g phone...when i upgrade sometime in the future to 4g, i wonder if ill get to keep my pricing?

Edited by Steve Butters

I can help get AT.&T to cancel your contract, but I'm happy with Verizon. AT&T canceled me without notice I tried to use my phone and it wouldn't call out. I called AT&T customer service to find out they dropped me. :)

something with that cant be right....i know people who watch netflix all the time and i know that runs longer than 70 minutes and they never even get close to 5g, let alone 10

on my 3g in the past 20 days ive used .131gigs and im on the internet on my phone every day...just browsing and stuff, nothing heavy

i have unlimited data on my 3g phone...when i upgrade sometime in the future to 4g, i wonder if ill get to keep my pricing?

Depends on the compression.

A DVD is 4.7GB for 2 hours of video, but it's not heavily compressed.