DIY Garage Door Opener

BornSinner

This How-To write up was done by "05zixxer". This was done on a 05 zx10r, but this can be done on other bikes.

First, you have to open up the garage door opener (gdo) and find the switch. Solder on a wire on each side of the switch and close up the gdo body. I cut the plastic away a bit to allow the wires to go through the body easier. (there are no pics for this since I figure this part depends on what gdo you have)

Next, locate where you want the gdo. I put mine under the seat.

GDO01.jpg

Now, run the wire through the frame and fairing to wherever you want the switch. I used thin speaker wire (cant remember the exact guage) because it's easy to route and is not very heavy:

GDO02.jpg

GDO03.jpg

GDO04.jpg

Next is the switch. I didnt want to hack into my controls, so I made a bracket out of mild steel, drilled and painted it and mounted the switch from Radio Shack (p/n 275-644) on it to complete the install.

GDO05.jpg

GDO06.jpg

Now I dont have to fumble around trying to find the button through my jacket.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

any button your not using could be used for the door opener. I think the horn is probably the most common but it could be kind of annoying for the neighbors when you come home late. Not to mention letting everyone in the neighborhood know when you come home. I have a flash to pass button on my triumph.

• 9 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Oh my, a whole new reason to go find that remote that the kids lost ten years ago. My boys used to hide the TV remote from each other then go to school leaving me to find it when I got home from work, one time when the oldest was about twelve he took it to school and lost it.

• 4 weeks later...

here's another idea, and I'm going to do this in a day or two

short the open/close switch on the gdo and solder the battery contact to the switch (preferably the flash to pass switch). might need a small diode/capacitor across the terminals to 'help' the gdo power source.

my garage door opener runs on the A23 which is a little 12v cell that seems to die all too soon.

this way, no battery needed on the remote and the same wiring does the trick! :cool:

Looks like a cheaper way to do it, than I did. I bought a Flash2Pass kit and installed it to the headlight. I pull up the alley flash my bright lights(which activates a transmitter) and opens the overhead door. No batteries needed.

122_0906_13_z+best_of_indy_gear+flash2pass_garage_door_opener.jpg

Cost me $65 off ebay

• 4 weeks later...