Odd issue, 97' ex500

Aetsh

Bike runs great, starts right up 99% of the time..

The issue is everyonce in a while, I go to start it and it clicks, like a dead battery... put the volt meter on it yesterday And it read 12.1 at the battery terminals.

I jumped it and started up fine a few times last night, as well as this morning no problem. the clicking was coming from the left side of the bike, on the tail section, the square finned contraption (not positive What its called.. haven't been in my manual yet).

I can only image the battery is ruled out, as its hitting 12.1 with the bike off, and 13.8 with it running, so it is def charging.

T

cut off half my post..

the weird thing is is that it does the completely randomly and it only happens once, I rode last month nearly everyday and never had a problem..

the only thing I did differently recently was take off my battery tender pigtail to use it for another battery and hooked the cables back to the battery..

thanks in advance, I appriciate it!

-shaun

Shaun - I literally have a voltage regulator sitting on my desk. Consider it yours.

after I replaced the battery, the bike started right up, so I figured, "whelp, it was just a dead battery." Didn't bother w/ the regulator because it required removing the body work. My bad, man.

I'll be home Saturday morning, but leaving for BeaveRun some time around lunch (I hope). I can leave the regulator in my mailbox if you want to stop by, or you can come out and visit another track on Sunday if you want. No gate fee w/ NESBA, but there is about $12 in tolls (round trip).

Or I can ship it from work. let me know.

How long have you had the battery? The voltages sound a little low to me. The clicking is normal, you just can't hear that when the bike is starting properly. It is the starter relay (solenoid etc..) and it will click when you hit the start button. If that is clicking and not turning over, then it probably is a dead battery. When it is charging (~5500 rpm, I don't know the exact rpm for the ex500) it should be reading around 14+ volts and high 12's sitting (as jporter said)

Shaun - I literally have a voltage regulator sitting on my desk. Consider it yours.

after I replaced the battery, the bike started right up, so I figured, "whelp, it was just a dead battery." Didn't bother w/ the regulator because it required removing the body work. My bad, man.

I'll be home Saturday morning, but leaving for BeaveRun some time around lunch (I hope). I can leave the regulator in my mailbox if you want to stop by, or you can come out and visit another track on Sunday if you want. No gate fee w/ NESBA, but there is about $12 in tolls (round trip).

Or I can ship it from work. let me know.

Don't apologize Chris, I've put over 500 trouble free miles on the bike this year already! I couldn't be happier!

Do you think its the regulator to blame?

Cables are tight.. I didn't check volts when cranking.. not enough hands haha. Ill try later.

I believe redkow replaced the battery right before me buying it in January

yeah, the battery was literally a few days old when I sold him the bike. swapping the voltage regulator is 2 screws and a plug... Getting that side panel off may suck a bit to GET to those 2 screws, but it's simple enough that I think it's worth a shot before digging any deeper.

Not sure I can make it to Beaver this weekend.. I've got a wedding to attend :-/

If you can ship it, that would be fantastic!

what's your PayPal info?

I've had similar issues in the cage (random acting-like-dead-battery) and traced ti to correded battery terminals. Unhook the cables, lightly sand the contacts and put it back together. Don't forget to do the battery side AND the frame (-) / starter (+) connections.