why get motorcycle license?

cbr600

i was wondering the differnece between temps and motorcycle lisence ive heard many differnt things such as there are still restrictions for the 1st year of having your linsence just curouis if this is true

i was wondering the differnece between temps and motorcycle lisence ive heard many differnt things such as there are still restrictions for the 1st year of having your linsence just curouis if this is true

With the permit, you are required to wear a helmet, you can not carry a passenger, you must renew yearly, no interstate use, and you can not ride after dark.

As far as restrictions in the first year of having the actual license (MC NOVICE), you must wear a helmet and so must any passengers.

Don't you have to renew your temps every 6 months? But yeah, all those restrictions are true. I had 2 months of riding experience (even 2 months of something with only 2 wheels) before I said screw it and just took the test. I was riding with guys that had their license and if I ever got picked up, I'd be screwed because I was breaking all those rules. Took the test on an R6 and passed the first time. I had SO many people tell me that I'd fail the first time since it was so hard but I proved them wrong. Don't listen to others - just attempt to take it and if you pass, you'll have all that stuff lifted off your shoulders and won't have to hide from the po po.

It's not just interstates it's busy roads and left to the cops discretion. I have heard of people getting charged with no operators license for riding after dark on permit I guess it's pretty much up to the cop what they want to hit you with in that case.

No one has mentioned the fact that if you have permit your insurance isn't going to go down they will always consider you a new rider

It really isn't that hard. I wish I would have done mine sooner.

I'd still recommend a class to someone even if they are a seasoned rider. You don't have to worry about the "test" at the BMV and maybe you'll learn to perfect something you already know. Also, you can make new friends. Or if you're like me, you can start smoking again after having quit for 3.5 years because one of the instructors was pissing you off so much. Only pain about the class is that it takes so long to get into and you may have to take time off work because of the hours.

they are also doing the brc-rr class that's designed for people that know about cycling but need a refresher. It's 9 hours but only one day. U use there bike just like the brc course and you get your certificate at the end. U don't have to go thru as much class time and there not sitting there going this is the brake and this is the clutch. Thats what i did.

I was going to do the MSF class to get mine but they didn't accept (or the woman at the DMV was an idiot) it in place of the test. I was not happy.

That's shitty :( I know you still have to take the "written" part (was that for the temps or license? I don't recall). One thing I did NOT know what that there were questions on the test from the motorcycle manual AND the regular Ohio motorist's manual. I was a bit surprised when I saw questions that weren't even in the book I studied lol. I still passed, but from now on, I tell people to grab both books to look over and not just the motorcycle one.

Just do the test and get a license. The road test is easy enough. I took mine right when I turned 16...Had to take the MSF class as I was under 18, but still had to test in front of a cop at the BMV then.

My wife did the MSF class a couple years back...Prior to Saturday a.m. she had never piloted a motorcycle. Sunday a.m. she passed the class and got the BMV on-motorcycle test waiver. I took the class with her for fun (already had had my license for 20-some years)...Having the MSF card knocked a chunk off of my insurance.

Temps you can't ride at night, no passengers, must have a helmet, and can't ride on busy roads.

License when I got it you had to wear a helmet for the first year.

What he said, all true.

I had an OSHP say the one rider with temps, of our group, couldn't get on state route 161. Not even a few yards to turn off again onto a lesser road. His temp might have even been expired. One of the girls riding passenger, had her motorcycle license, and we switched around to get all the bikes home. Made Mr No License ride backpack. No ticket, just checking us out. It was completely obvious to the trooper, just by looking, that one rider had no experience. This was many years ago.

Well, if you have decided that you are not going to stop for the police, you really don't need a license. On a more serious note, just get your license. That way you have it for life, or at least until you reach the pissing-down-your-leg age, in which you won't need it anyways.

why bother? it's too hard, you'll never make it... just keep your bike all shiny and pretty and clean in your garage, why rack up miles making it dirty? it's too hot to ride most of the summer anyway, and too cold the rest of the time. when the weather is perfect you would rather be out riding on a boat somewhere anyway....

What a lazy arse whiner, wanting something for nothing and complaining that it is tough. BITE ME!

I just spent an entire Saturday at the bureau. I walked in 8 times, took a number, waited my turn and stewed about it the whole time. I had to take both tests, back to back, to transfer my DL. Then proceeded to take 3 cars and 4 motorcycles up to the DMV to get titled and plated. Two of them required me to go rent a trailer as one was my track bike and the other doesn't run at this point. After it was all said and done, the DMV lady informs me that I might have been able to pay some guy from a dealership to come to my house and do all the vehicle inspections as once. UGGHGHGHG, I almost cried at that point.

Ya, it sucked but I did what was expected of me as an upstanding citizen of OH.

As for that MSF course, best thing you could ever do besides buying and wearing a helmet.

I thought the same thing about repeated questions but when I thought of it, it makes perfect sense. Bike, motorcycle, truck, bus or car - in the end, it is an operator license and everyone needs to know the same rules of the rode regardless of mode.

:+15million: for the MSF Basic Rider Course. Never hurts to spend extra time refining basic skills and it's the easiest way to get the endorsement if you don't have a bike or don't want to use your own to take the test. And what they teach you is extremely relevant to everyday riding.

Getting the motorcycle license isn't even a question. I wouldn't want to be constantly reminded that I can't ride any road I please because of legality, and once you've got the endorsement it's with you for life.