Gas has recently changed ...

Wadepenn

I would say that there is no way that gasoline can weigh 9lbs per gallon, but there are enough people in this thread arguing stuff they really don't know all too much about.

You're welcome! Glad I can entertain!

Funny thing is most stations use the same terminals as our trucks. So something isn't adding up.

Kind of like your screenname here? :lol:

No fuel that I know of has a density of 9 lbs/gal US. (1078 kg/cu meter)

That's close to the density of anti-freeze. (ethylene glycol).

The highest I know of is Quadricyclene at 985 kg/cu meter.

Gasoline is 702.5 kg/cu meter.

this isn't counting mil-spec exotics that don't exist yet or not

but that would be closer to rocket fuel anyway

Here we go with the space talk again. :nono:

For the record, I'd be willing to bet that ReconRat is more qualified to discuss this than ANYBODY in this thread.

The weight is measured by the RVP (Reid vapor pressure) giving its measure in pounds.

Columbus has 4 weights for summer/winter and transitions between. 13.5 winter, 11.5 transition, 9 summer, 10.5 transition.

Kawi kid, yes non-ethanol is available, but not without its drawbacks, our taxes pay subsidies (kickbacks) to companies to use ethanol (To continue farmers production of it) and no price reduction on non-ethanol gas. If you really want it pm me and I will get you in contact with someone who can help.

But then again I'm really not a fuel hauler, I just bought an 18 wheeler, painted Shell on the tank and drive around columbus looking cool...

My next trick today is to infiltrate a columbus terminal and acquire 7 loads of shell gasoline without any credentials of the Twic card that requires a fbi finger print/background check, or any of that cdl license with hazmat/tanker endorsement nonsense.... Who needs that stuff anyway.... i mean its not like its a likely target of terrorism so I'm sure anyone can just drive right in without question.

I see what Wadepenn means. The 9 is the Summer RVP. 9 pounds pressure, not 9 pounds density. Lower volatility to avoid vapor lock in the Summer. We're still not hitting on the original point he's making. The octane rating should not have changed. Changes to volatility or density shouldn't have altered the octane rating. Not if it was done right, and the RON system for octane rating is still in use.

The octane listed on the pump is the minimum r+m/2 ... If it says 87 it can be higher, it can't be lower. The companies never adjusted for the raise in octane with the slight raise of the added ethanol.

That's the original point... 87 is 87 in Dayton now while columbus is 87 + the 3 boost of the ethanol

Edited by Wadepenn
Additional info

My next trick today is to infiltrate a columbus terminal and acquire 7 loads of shell gasoline without any credentials of the Twic card that requires a fbi finger print/background check, or any of that cdl license with hazmat/tanker endorsement nonsense.... Who needs that stuff anyway.... i mean its not like its a likely target of terrorism so I'm sure anyone can just drive right in without question.

Funny thing is I have all those credentials too. Only my truck has a different logo.

The octane listed on the pump is the minimum r+m/2 ... If it says 87 it can be higher, it can't be lower. The companies never adjusted for the raise in octane with the slight raise of the added ethanol.

That's the original point... 87 is 87 in Dayton now while columbus is 87 + the 3 boost of the ethanol

ok, got it. At some point I thought the Dayton was 84=87. That I wouldn't understand. My mistake. A brain fart.

But then again I'm really not a fuel hauler, I just bought an 18 wheeler, painted Shell on the tank and drive around columbus looking cool...
album.php?albumid=1297&pictureid=14047

and this isn't my first drop today... I just decided to get up early and follow a truck around until he dropped.

:lol: nobody said you didnt drive a truck - i just said youre obviously not an expert on how octane works because you dont even have a grasp on the basic concepts....im not claiming to be an expert either, but i at least know the basics of how it works (not talking about the way its classified etc, or the difference between dayton and columbus - strictly commenting on your posts about getting more power out of premium and how it is "worth it" because it will make stuff perform and run better....it wont)

way to dodge the discussion though, go buy more cam2 to make your bike faster....at least now we know why its faster than a s1000rr - it has cheater gas in it :rolleyes:

Edited by Steve Butters