Advice requested

Jamez

So I have an old buddy who is no longer a friend. We had a falling out a while ago and moved on with our lives no big deal. I still see him all the time but rarely talk to him. We work at the same company.

He owes me 50 bucks and has for a long time. He will never give me that back. I've even asked him and he said he doesn't owe me anything. BULL.

Anyways here my dilema

He had a 1rst or 2nd generation Ipod Nano that he lost. Turns out it was under my seat in my car. Its a piece of crap but I figure if I sold it I could prolly get 40 bucks for it. Id consider his debt nullified. He has no idea I have it.

Is it possible to track it if I sold it?

should I sell it?

How many people on this forum have friends that ask them for money? :nono:

Doesn't djisle still owe for some chicken wings?

I'd give it back just to one-up him in yet another aspect of life.

That's what I was thinking. Be the bigger person.

Tell him you found it under your seat while cleaning your car and wanted to give it back. Then tell him that if he happens to come across $50 while cleaning out his car, it was yours, you dropped it in there, and you would be ever so grateful if he could return it.

Honestly though, you're not gonna get the money back. Give him his POS back and be the better man. People suck.

Edited by saralynn518

"Hey bro, I found your iPod in my car -- I know we had a falling out and there's still $50 you owe me, but I'm going to give this back to you because I'm hoping we can turn a new leaf, you'll repay your debt to me, and we can be bros again"

OP tosses iPod at feet of ex-bro

ex-bro looks puzzled @ OP's dick move, but goes to pick it up anyway

BAM! Knee to the face! Then megaSTOMP on the iPod!

Leave while laughing.

Edited by JRMMiii
  • Upvote 4

"Hey bro, I found your iPod in my car -- I know we had a falling out and there's still $50 you owe me, but I'm going to give this back to you because I'm hoping we can turn a new leaf, you'll repay your debt to me, and we can be bros again"

ex-bro looks puzzled @ OP's dick move, but picks goes to pick it up anyway

Leave while laughing.

That's messed up. :lol:

Wouldn't the OP finding the twat's iPod be the OP's positive/twat's negative karma?

does this mean bang his girlfriend? Twats negative karma is that the monthly flow? Wtf is goin on I'm lost.

ex-bro looks puzzled @ OP's dick move, but picks goes to pick it up anyway

Leave while laughing.

either give it back or do the knee to face thing. Maybe flip a coin to decide the fate of the ipod.

I'd give it back personally and slash his tires or maybe just give it back. Be the bigger non tire slashing person. Sugar in the gas tank? No seriously be the bigger person. I think that's the right answer, but slashing his tires would make you feel better!

No matter what others may do to me, I always do whatever allows me to lay my head down at night and sleep peacefully, and in this situation, keeping the Ipod, selling it for a profit and letting him know, would allow me to sleep peacefully. If that doesn't work, see post #16.

ex-bro looks puzzled @ OP's dick move, but goes to pick it up anyway

Leave while laughing.

^^^^

This!!

ok, technically it's not legal to keep things we find that are lost. There's actually a law against it, that no one pays any attention to...

that's not exactly true.

There are multiple ways to 'lose' something.

"Lost" property is something you unintentionally part with. The finder has rights to that property unless the owner comes to claim it. There may be laws specifying a waiting period, or requiring that you post notice (somewhere - newspaper, CL, OhioRiders.net) for a given period of time before it becomes yours.

"Mislaid" property is something you intentionally put in a given place, but then forget about. That belongs to the owner of the land (or vehicle in this case) where it was placed unless the true owner comes to claim it. The idea is that if I set down my iPod on Bill's fence while I'm out jogging, Bill owns that property until or unless I come looking for it. If Jane walks by and finds it, Bill is still the legal owner, because I know where to find Bill; but I don't know shit about Jane.

"treasure trove" (seriously) is something you consciously hide, and then either forget about, or die before you can retrieve it. Courts are conflicted as to whether or not the finder has rights to it, or the owner of the land on which the property was found. It really depends on the circumstances.

"abandoned" property is property that was intentionally placed, but in a manner that it's clear there was no intention of retrieving it. Like tossing an iPod in the trash. It's anyone's to take.

This is a pretty simple case of the iPod being "lost." Unless his friend comes asking for it, it's his.

that's the LEGAL explanation. the MORAL thing to do is to return it. Then again, the moral thing for your friend to do would have been to repay his debt.

• Upvote 1

How many people on this forum have friends that ask them for money? :nono:

Prolly more than would care to admit to it. I was friends with this guy (remains nameless) for 30+ years--Vietnam vet, had a tough go in life, our families/kids hung out on weekends together--and he ended up divorced and in a financial bind. Asked if I would lend him cash for a reliable car so he could get to work. Long story short, it's been at least 4-5 years since he and I talked. He stopped paying, stopped calling, I've tried to get hold of him multiple times and no reply. A very expensive $2500 lesson!

All in all, I'd say an "investment" of $50 to learn your supposed friend is a douche is a good deal...