Tomorrow go for first time ride dirt bike

rusty

Rusty-

The way to ride an MX or dirt bike properly is night and day different than a sportbike. You need to try and stay centralized on TOP of the bike to maneuver it well. Ass opposed to a sportbike where you lean off and get your ass off the seat in a turn.

Hopefully, you are riding a 4 stroke. These will help you on the sportbike to a degree. Meaning, it isn't going to make you faster really, but will teach you that loose is fine. Spinning the rear, sliding and having the bike moving under you will make the sportbike feel MUCH more planted.

They do change direction well and are definitely lighter weight, but it is all relative. You aren't going to be riding over 100 mph on an MX bike trying to change direction. It won't do it... However, they move and handle very well at slower speeds...

Basically, have fun, but watch it - they can bite like a muther offer!

Grew up on dirtbikes and man, wish I still had some. I'd love to get a hyper or sumo sometime or just a plain crossover. Above were all good notes, one thing I loved on the CR80 I rode was NO CLUTCH! Automatic baby, just pop it into gear and game over.

Ahh my redneck days, how I miss the hell out of them.

i used to ride 4 wheelers a bunch as a kid. then dad got a ts125 to goof off in on. has quite a bit of land over in lebanon too.

after not riding the dirtbike for a couple years, then starting on the streetbike last year, i went to ride it a little and felt like i was back at square one. with handling at least. i eventually got used to sliding again though. sliding the rear is fine, but when you crank the bars it takes a couple milliseconds for the bike to follow. at which point the front is wallowing and it's all sorts of uncomfortable.

twas for me anyway. it got fun again really quick though.

Instead of dropping a shoulder like on a street bike, you push the dirt bike down and away. make sure to wear a helmet and a good pair of boots. A special type of tree grows along the sides of trails that can magically move in-front of you :eek:

it was good workout.

I was gonna say, no matter if you're in shape or not - prepare to overwork your body and put yourself to the test of tests! :D:D

A whole day in the trails or at a mx track will surely show anyone how out of shape they really are -- mx and sx racers are no joke, the most cardio-capable athletes on the planet.

Glad you got the experience - adrenalinized good times!

Not to rub it in, but we just returned from running all the 2012 KTM and Husaberg machines today at Millville. We rode the woods loop for the first half and then the MX track AFTER the Loretta's qualifier... It was rough on the MX track, but what a great day!!