Looking at a 1999 Triumph Triple Speed

Gabe

I am looking at a triple speed 955 at a pawn shop, I am wondering if this is a good idea.

I am new to the forum, and new to riding. I have ridden dirt bikes since I was little both on the street and dirt, I am 18 years old and I know how to handle a bike at a moderate level I would say, so I am looking for something mid level possibly.

I looked at a Buell Blast, but it did not have enough balls for me, not because I want to go crazy, but I am used to dirt bikes just getting up and going.

The 955 has 16,000 Miles on it, it is a 1999, spotless, looks stock. Starts right up and runs. I have not gotten a chance to ride it yet.

The shop wants $2,595 for the bike, but i think i can get them to go down a bit.

I am wondering what everyone thinks, any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks for the help!

I like the speed triple. For someone your age though, insurance is going to be your limiting factor. Look it up, talk to an agent. Triumph parts suppliers around here can be tough too.

My brother has had 2 Triumphs over the years, and they have been without issue. The power is good, and the insurance is lower than my Aprilia. I pay less $450 a year. They come alive at 7,000rpm, and will put a grin on your face.

Chicks dig them too.

I have a street triple I'm selling but besides that point, the insurance for me (im 26 now) i below $400 a year. Id check out the street triple or a newer speed triple 1050. To tell you the truth the power curve on a street triple is damn good and I can generally keep with the 1050 motors. Go with triumph for sure :D

basically learned to ride on an 01 Speed triple. .great bike. and not a hateful starter just more torque than a 600.. id sayhave a mechanic go over it. talk them down a little then go for it..

I have the 97 its a good bike. I would do the rear wheel bearing just for piece of mind. Look at eBay and bikebandit. Oem triumph parts take a couple weeks to get unless dealership has them. Breakers seen to want top dollar.

Other than that you will get respect from the Harley set. And get asked a lot of dumb questions. Especially when they find out it has three cylinders.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Someone I know raves about his street triple (675 younger bro to the Speed 3). I've always lusted after the Speed Triple, but for the street I might be inclined to the 675.

Triumph seems to bring much satisfaction to the owners.

Pawn shop might not do much of anything other than sign paperwork and park the bike, though. Bring someone you trust with some knowledge to have a look-see.

^It's really true. I'm more satisfied with my Speed Triple than pretty much any other bike I've owned. I love my WeeStrom, but the fun factor and solidity of the Triumph have won me over.

The triple motors aren't that bad for a newb because they have a wide spread of torque that makes them easy to ride (assuming you have some self control). You won't be outgrowing it any time soon either. The 675 would be ideal.

I got a compliment on my Daytona last night from a guy riding a Ducati 796. he paid about 4x's what I paid for mine. I also got a compliment last week from a guy on a brand new CBR600RR. see the trend here.. everyone loves a Triumph.

• 5 months later...

I loved my Triumph Daytona 595. Right up until I destroyed the gearing. Then once the bike was fixed, it started having electrical problems. I sold it and the guy I sold it to spend the winter sorting it out.

Other than that, I loved that bike. I rode it 30,000 miles, did a track day, several trips to the UP and Wyoming and Tennessee... I'd buy another.

I love my 2010 Tiger1050, only 5k miles on her as I still love to ride my fxz6, but you will absolutely love the triple. So far, I'm very happy with my Triumph.

FZ6 for life LOL. I love my fizz too. I've spent some seat time in oldschools trumpet. I didn't quite fit in it right. I do admit though, I have a soft spot for them. They are cool bikes, but keep on top of the maintenance.

If everything checks out go for it! The only issue that sticks in my mind that hasnt been stated are the spark plugs. If they arent pulled out ever so often they seize up and break off in the head. I had an 05 Speed Triple and out of all the bikes I've owned that bike was the best well rounded bike. It did everything well! I would get looks all the time and people would always stop to ask me questions. Damn I miss that bike.

leaky spark plug boots are definitely something to check for. Your plug will rust in there pretty good. It can be solved with alittle waterproof grease around there plug boot. Yes it pains me to some extent, seeing as how my fz1 is sitting in the garage with the engine beside it, awaiting a transplant.