Harley wethead

ReconRat

Somebody just sent me a copy of the Harley Davidson patent for a liquid cooled head. Dated May19. I suppose some of you have already seen it, but it's news to me. No can post it or pics, it's a word doc. Maybe later.

Pretty much all over the internet...

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2011/06/21/harley-davidson-water-cooled-heads-patent/

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2011/06/20/harley-davidson-water-cooled-heads-patent/

Edited by ReconRat

i really try not to harley bash, but I was was waiting for the ferry out of Put-In-Bay and struck up a conversation with 12 HD riders (zero helmets).

Anyway, THEY laid into Japanese bikes, and a (relatively) friendly discussion ensued. A disdain for liquid cooling was one of my primary talking points. I even conceded that the Japanese cruiser market seems to follow suit (Yamaha Raider is the bike I specifically mentioned, because I've ridden it), but these riders didn't care about performance at all - they just wanted a Harley so they coudl say they own a Harley. I even pointed out that they were all wearing harley gear, so people would know what kind of bike they're on. I asked one woman what kind of car she drove. "a Camry." Okay, do you wear a Toyota t-shirt every time you drive it? <eyeroll>

They just need to put the Vrod motor in a bagger, and they would have one nasty bike. Best of all, it might actually be worth the money they wanted.

There's a small subset of VRod riders that bag it... and put batwing fairings on the front... it's kind of odd, but to each their own.

I even pointed out that they were all wearing harley gear, so people would know what kind of bike they're on. I asked one woman what kind of car she drove. "a Camry." Okay, do you wear a Toyota t-shirt every time you drive it? <eyeroll>

I've had similair conversations. At some point, I ususally mention that I've ridden horses a handful of times and never felt obligated to dress like a cowboy.

but these riders didn't care about performance at all - they just wanted a Harley so they coudl say they own a Harley. I even pointed out that they were all wearing harley gear, so people would know what kind of bike they're on. I asked one woman what kind of car she drove. "a Camry." Okay, do you wear a Toyota t-shirt every time you drive it? <eyeroll>

And that's how Harley will make liquid cooling work for them. They'll market it as something that will make the owner cooler (no pun intended) than the rest. Funny thing is that Jap bikes have been liquid cooled for a long time! :lol:

Does anyone realize that Harley built a V-4 liquid cooled bike (NOVA project)? One for sport and one for touring. And never brought it to market. Instead, they promoted the EVO forever theme...

And it worked. the NOVA concept was a risk at the time. Promoting what they had cost nothing.

So the world could have been very very different, if Harley had decided to take the metrics head on with a V-4 liquid cooled bike. The design concept worked up V-2, V-4 and V-6 designs.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2007/04/06/harley-davidson-v4-nova/

Edited by ReconRat