Rider Killed on I-90 in Cleveland

Sniper_308

Motorcyclist killed in crash on I-90

Mike Vielhaber, newsnet5.com

Jul 1, 2011 4:13 a.m.

An early morning crash killed the driver of a motorcycle on I-90.

The crash happened around 2 a.m. Friday in the eastbound lanes of I-90 at West 98th Street.

People who live in the area heard a loud crash. When they got to the highway they found a man dead in the middle of the road and a female in a crashed car.

According to Cleveland Police, the driver of the motorcycle was going west in the east bound lanes when the crash happened.

Cleveland Police officers on scene confirm the motorcyclist was killed and one female was transported to the hospital.

Witnesses said the car's driver was hysterical and had injuries to her legs.

The east bound lanes of I-90 are closed for the accident reconstruction and the investigation into what caused this crash.

My friend was the first responder to the crash. Guess they figured he was so drunk he went the wrong way on the highway, or just committed suicide. Guess the plate was from Summit County. It was a Blue HD, I'll post photos of the bike later, can't do it now from my phone.

What a damn shame if he was that drunk outta his mind.

what a shame? Eff that. If he was drunk out of his mind, he went looking for trouble. Not shocking that he found it.

I feel worse for the poor woman he ran into. Now she's got leg injuries, and has to deal with the fact that she played a part in killing someone.

THAT'S a damn shame.

I'm tempted to do some compilations in the "fallen riders" threads, but it seems to me that 95% of these wrecks occur after dark. Wise up, people - if you're staying out late, leave the bike at home and take the car.

I stopped riding at night long before I stopped street riding all together. And I had added a fair bit of reflective white tape to my bike for added visibility. I still have a 4" roll if anyone wants some.

According to Cleveland Police, the driver of the motorcycle was going west in the east bound lanes when the crash happened.

This is on I-90; a divided highway. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the rider was at fault.

**** Okay, i read the news story linked below the original post, and that contradicts what was originally posted.

Police initially told NewsChannel5 that the motorcycle appeared to be driving the wrong way, but further investigation led to Kearne's arrest.
If that's the case, then all of my previous statements are withdrawn - except the part about not riding at night. Whether it's the rider's fault or someone else's, I think riding at night is a risky move at best.

First time I've heard of this involving a motorcycle but this is actually kind of a common occurance with people going the wrong way in the cleveland area on I-90 but usually with cars.

Drunk or not this highway system has a serious flaw

:rip:

Unbelievable and she'll probably get less than a year in jail.

I would bet she'll be sentenced to 25 and serve about a third of that. If this is her first DUI, she might get off a little lighter, but there is probably a minimum sentence for manslaughter.

• Upvote 1

First time I've heard of this involving a motorcycle but this is actually kind of a common occurance with people going the wrong way in the cleveland area on I-90 but usually with cars.

Normally I would agree with that. But all freeways now experience the astounding act of driving the wrong way. And that really is noticed as something new, that didn't exist when freeways were invented and built. I think I'll blame it on a recent rise in the rate of drugs booze and stupidity while driving.

There is a flaw in the people.

When I started riding back in 2004 my first interstate trip was a Patriot Guard ride to Fushing, MI to attend a military funeral. I set off at 6am up 23 from Delaware towards Toledo. After about an hour of riding I was on a section of 23 that was a divided highway, 2 lanes in each direction, going around a curve to the right.

I passed a semi and stayed out in the left lane for about 30 seconds. I checked my mirror and was about to move into the right lane well ahead of the semi when I realized that the oncoming headlights were attached to a southbound car in the northbound carriageway. Luckily I was preparing to change lanes already so I knew the lane was clear. At 75mph it seemed to take forever to swerve out of the path of the oncoming car. I made it with a couple carlengths to go, which isn't very far when you are closing at well over 100mph combined speed.

That shook me up bad. Considered trashing this whole "biking" thing right there and then.

Then I go up to the funeral, met some really nice folks, talked to a ton of bikers, military types, family. Stood in a line of hundreds of bikers with my hand on my heart as they led the brave young man on his final journey, then departed back home. It was a powerful experience, especially for a foreigner to be accepted without a moment's pause into such a patriotic atmosphere, and it convinced me to keep the bike.

Edited by Scruit

Normally I would agree with that. But all freeways now experience the astounding act of driving the wrong way. And that really is noticed as something new, that didn't exist when freeways were invented and built. I think I'll blame it on a recent rise in the rate of drugs booze and stupidity while driving.

There is a flaw in the people.

I have to agree there.

...this is actually kind of a common occurance with people going the wrong way in the cleveland area on I-90 but usually with cars.

Many many years ago (1988 I think) I almost did this myself. Ironically, I was bombed out of my mind and had just made a cig run for a stripper

and was on my way back to the strip club with her smokes. I actually turned onto the I-90 ramp going the wrong way, drove probaby 100' up it,

realized what I was doing and quickly turned around. :nono:

The things we do for strippers ;)

BTW, RIP Rider :(

• 2 weeks later...
My friend was the first responder to the crash. Guess they figured he was so drunk he went the wrong way on the highway, or just committed suicide. Guess the plate was from Summit County. It was a Blue HD, I'll post photos of the bike later, can't do it now from my phone.

Sniper....

I signed onto this forum to educate you...I am sure that by now you are aware that your friend," the first responder ", was off base in his assumption that the motorcyclist was going the wrong way. Although your pictures are brilliant, your information is ignorant in my opinion. One should never speak of that which they don't know to be true.

I knew the rider personally, and rode with him...he did NOT drink and ride, and he was not on a suicide mission. He was a man on his way home from work ( afternoon shift ). Yes, he had a summit county plate, because that was where he lived. Yes, it was a blue HD, and your pictures were wonderful....were those from you, or the "first responder" ? I would hope that the "first responder" would have been too busy doing his job, to take pictures to send to his friend (you).

No offense intended, but I think that you owe the community an apology for your mis-information, which you made the choice to pass along. I have noted there has been no response from you since the facts are in.....

Sniper, just so that your aware....he wasn't "so drunk", he was at work all night, and just trying to get home....by the way, he was killed, and left a 14 yr old son without a father.

Ride safe Sniper....and know of what you speak.

Ohio 1959

This is on I-90; a divided highway. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the rider was at fault.

Yep.....you went out on a limb. Maybe the drunk "woman" was going the wrong way....and possibly no headlights ? Maybe it wasn't the rider's fault.....? The jury will decide this for her.