Ticket questions

Busarider

Were you weaving in and out of traffic or some other type of additional offense?

Maybe, sorta, it could have been interpreted that way. The initial accusation was drag racing, but I was really just following a friend at a high rate of speed. The way I understood it at the time was that the reckless was based on speed alone.

So you're telling me if I get clocked at triple digits on a clear road I only get two points? Not what I need to hear...

2 pts, fine, court costs, and higher insurance at least.

Do you know how much the fine is yet?

My 88 in a 55 in Indiana costs me over $300 I believe with fines, court costs, etc.

Maybe, sorta, it could have been interpreted that way. The initial accusation was drag racing, but I was really just following a friend at a high rate of speed. The way I understood it at the time was that the reckless was based on speed alone.

So you're telling me if I get clocked at triple digits on a clear road I only get two points? Not what I need to hear...

No, I am not saying that you will only get 2 points. There is still a 4 point speed violation. What I am saying is that if you were to get clocked/paced in Franklin Co. at that speed, there is a good chance that you could get it reduced to a 2 point violation. Was there any other violation written on the ticket other than reckless op? Marked lane violation? Fail to signal?...etc? The street racing is probably what will be the other violation. As long as there was an additional violation with the speed, there is a case for reckless op. He doesn't have to actually write it on the ticket.

Some departments want all charges written on the ticket to show the totality of the circumstances which lead to the charge of reckless op. Others, (like ours) would rather you write the single charge and articulate in the arrest narrative all of circumstances which lead to the charge. By doing it that way, it keeps the fines lower and creates less hardship. That being said, the officer is free to write the ticket how he/she sees fit.

Or they can be real dicks and write "Drag Racing" followed by "Reckless Operation of a Motor-Vehicle".....nothing like getting stuck with a double whammy for doing 50 in a 35 (yea...50!!..and it was 3am, zero traffic on a big 4 lane rd).......went in to court facing 10 points for that incident!! thank you city of Whitehall, I thoroughly enjoyed my community service, without it i wouldn't be the stellar citizen i am today :rolleyes:

If it was me - which it wouldn't be, been there done that about 9 years ago - I would get a lawyer. Like you however, I wouldn't know who to call.

My old insurance company treated reckless op the same as DUI or drag racing - instant high-risk.

which company was that? I ate a reckless op 2 years ago........

I have wrote a reckless ticket to a speeder for 125mph in a 65 zone (paced). When we went to court I was informed that if there no other violations other than the speed, I could not write the reckless. The prosecutor then ammended the charge to a 4 point speed violation.

Guess this dispels the myth I've heard about a guideline of cpd not to pursue bikes at speeds above 120...

Ive heard a few stories of "I outran a cop" ... But I think more end like yours with ticket in hand...

Guess this dispels the myth I've heard about a guideline of cpd not to pursue bikes at speeds above 120...

Ive heard a few stories of "I outran a cop" ... But I think more end like yours with ticket in hand...

It's definitely better to just take the ticket than outrun a cop. The consequences would be far worse if the cop catches up to you or you die in the process of eluding the cop.

May I ask what highway you were doing a buck and change on?

Why would yoi be doing 116 in a 65? You deserve to lose your license! You want to do 116 go to the race track!

Listen, I agree that that behavior should be saved for the track. I believe that you are a reckless operator and this was not a isolated insident. I would venture a guess that you speed all around and have been lucky thus far not getting popped sooner. Ill venture a guess that this is not your first ticket; just the worst one yet.

That being said...

I guarantee that all of us are guilty of speeding occasionally. Its just too easy and fun to drop a gear and mash out. Granted some haven't been nearly 60 over the limit but I guarantee we have all ridden to the point of arrestability at some point... IF you got caught on one of those super rare occasions when you screw around for a minute then I'm truely sorry for you.

With great power comes great wrist control. Just cause you bike can do 200+ doesn't mean that's what it has to do.

By the way if you don't like my opinion then go pound salt.

Your on a public forum telling everyone you got a 116 ticket in a 65 on a Busa. This had to be expected.

• Upvote 1

As a general rule, we don't "pursue" anyone unless it is a serious offense of violence. The benefit of catching the speeder is far out weighed by the risk of catching them. A $120 ticket isn't worth a life. The risk of death to the rider (who more than likely is riding way beyond their ability trying to get away), death to the officer (who probably has tunnel vision because they are so focused on the one trying to get away), and the risk of death to an outside party (who may pull/walk out in front of a pursuit because they can't judge the speed) just isn't worth it!

Pulling over and getting a ticket (maybe a warning) has far less risk to everyone than running. After all, a speeding ticket is just a piece of paper with the same classification as a J walking ticket. It is a minor misdemeanor.

FYI, the 125 in a 65 was a car not a motorcycle. Also, he was racing another car (admitted it), I just didn't write him for street racing. For me, there is no sense in compounding violations (unless you act like a real d-bag). In hind site, I should have written him for it. That way the reckless op would have stuck. To be honest though, I really don't care. I don't take this job home with me, and I don't take actions that aren't directed toward me personally.

Oh, I forgot to mention. It's not hard to out run someone who isn't chasing you to begin with. Not pursuing speeders at an excessive rate of speed applies to cars also. It just happened that in this case I was already moving when he came onto 315 at Lane "chasing" the other car and was right next to me when he entered the highway. The problem was that HE had tunnel vision from chasing the other car and didn't notice me behind him for about 2 miles

When I was 17, I "out ran" a Seneca County deputy. In all reality, I was driving 110 mph in a 55 zone at night and he was stopped on the side of the road. I didn't see him until I was on top of him and he didn't turn on his lights until I passed. I was able to turn into a housing development outside of town just as he was turning on his lights. When I turned, he shut his lights off and just sat there. He probably thought I was home and didn't have a chance to catch me before I got inside. Again, I "out ran" someone who had enough sense not to put us both at risk.

• Upvote 1

May I ask what highway you were doing a buck and change on?

Listen, I agree that that behavior should be saved for the track. I believe that you are a reckless operator and this was not a isolated insident. I would venture a guess that you speed all around and have been lucky thus far not getting popped sooner. Ill venture a guess that this is not your first ticket; just the worst one yet.

That being said...

I guarantee that all of us are guilty of speeding occasionally. Its just too easy and fun to drop a gear and mash out. Granted some haven't been nearly 60 over the limit but I guarantee we have all ridden to the point of arrestability at some point... IF you got caught on one of those super rare occasions when you screw around for a minute then I'm truely sorry for you.

With great power comes great wrist control. Just cause you bike can do 200+ doesn't mean that's what it has to do.

By the way if you don't like my opinion then go pound salt.

Your on a public forum telling everyone you got a 116 ticket in a 65 on a Busa. This had to be expected.

:bow:

No, I am not saying that you will only get 2 points. There is still a 4 point speed violation. What I am saying is that if you were to get clocked/paced in Franklin Co. at that speed, there is a good chance that you could get it reduced to a 2 point violation. Was there any other violation written on the ticket other than reckless op? Marked lane violation? Fail to signal?...etc? The street racing is probably what will be the other violation. As long as there was an additional violation with the speed, there is a case for reckless op. He doesn't have to actually write it on the ticket.

Some departments want all charges written on the ticket to show the totality of the circumstances which lead to the charge of reckless op. Others, (like ours) would rather you write the single charge and articulate in the arrest narrative all of circumstances which lead to the charge. By doing it that way, it keeps the fines lower and creates less hardship. That being said, the officer is free to write the ticket how he/she sees fit.

Points section for those interested:

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4510.036

As for speeding becoming a reckless operation, its typically 25+ over the limit and its the standard for prosecutors and officers. Note though, that anything 25+ is also 4 points for speeding alone plus the 4 points from reckless.

See, it varies. What happened to me in 2002 doesn't really matter any more. FWIW the 83/55 did indeed end up being a 2pt speeding violation on my abstract.

P.S. Which it should be according to the ORC link.

Edited by brn6604