To My Fellow Dirt Riders

buildit

Today I meet Mr. Hill, a land owner in SE Ohio. It so happens he owns property around an unmaintained road I enjoy riding. He granted me permission to continue riding thru his land but ask me to relay a message I've heard again and again. Respect the private property, stay on the trail and tread lightly. As many know SE ohio has a large amount of trails but they are slowly being closed off, gated and posted with "No Trespassing" signs.

We need to spread the word to drunken four wheelers, people who poach trails on private land, and are destructive to the trails to stop! All they are doing is angering land owners who will inevitably close them off to everyone. This is what happened to Mr Hill. I had not been down there in two years and to see the destruction a bunch of quad riders did to his land was incredible and has left the trail almost unusable. :nono:

I hope that as a community of riders we can police ourselves and instill the necessity for responsible riding. If you wanna tear shit up, buy your own land or join a motocross club with trails for you to destroy. To those who are as frustrate as I am by the acts of a few who ruin it for the rest of us spread th word to fellow riders, help police the trails and talk to locals and land owners about what we can do to help. A little understanding and vigilance goes a long way.;)

i agree with the spirit of your entire post

but, i think that these people:

drunken four wheelers, people who poach trails on private land, and are destructive to the trails to stop!

are not going to care. the responsible riders are not going to be getting drunk and trespassing and tearing stuff up. we already know better.

if you are already a drunk trespassing scumbag, you will probably continue to do so, and you dont really care about the consequences.

unfortunately, these ppl are usually not open to hearing what they are doing wrong. ive seen it enough when im out fishing and stuff. people leaving trash and crap. if you try to say something to them you get "oh yea??? whut are you gonna do about it???" since they think they are tough guys who can do whatever they want. :rolleyes:

i think talking to landowners is a good start. let them know you are not that kind of person, and you do not agree with it.

I feel for the resposible off-roaders. That's exactly what happened down in Livingston, KY area at 909/Cromer Ridge. Used to be one of the best open riding areas within 2-4 hours of Cinti. Mix of private land and DBNF. Gnarly hills, mostly sandstone, and miles of singletrack in an area that had been extensively logged, so not much more damage could be done. Used to be able to ride parts of the Sheltowee Trace trail all the way down to the natural bridge and the TN border.

However, every weekend turned into an f'n redneck fest with partying, littering, and of course the inevitable accident that resulted in local land owners being sued by the dumbass rider and his scumbag lawyer. Locals blamed the out-of-towners; the out-of-towners blamed the locals. KY state LEOs and county mounties started writing expensive tickets and shut the area down to all off-road traffic--had to be street legal DOT compliant vehicle to ride. I sold both my trail bikes not long after.

Seems it's always the 1%ers who end up spoiling it for remaining 99%.

KY state LEOs and county mounties started writing expensive tickets and shut the area down to all off-road traffic--had to be street legal DOT compliant vehicle to ride. I sold both my trail bikes not long after.

Seems it's always the 1%ers who end up spoiling it for remaining 99%.

This is why I only own Dual sport vehicles. Much of the SE ohio areas are not interconnected and require a street legal and plated vehicle. So technically unless you own the land or are interconnected to land quads are NOT legal on these trails since they are unmaintained roads the rules of the road apply.

if you are already a drunk trespassing scumbag, you will probably continue to do so, and you dont really care about the consequences.

Very true John. So it is up to us to report abusers and trespassers.