2011 AMA Superbike @ Mid-Ohio

Hailwood

Another year, another set of Hail-photos from the AMA races at Mid-Ohio.

The vendor representation and crowd seemed to be quite a bit smaller than in years past, which is unfortunate since the racing was absolutely spectacular. Both the DSB and Superbike race were incredibly close. I swear there was a pass for the lead at least 3 times a lap in DSB.

I went back to some of the spots I got good shots in last year, as well as a couple of new ones. The bottom of T10 was a great spot, and had a lot of good passing during the Superbike race.

Chris Fillmore on the KTM coming through T1:

IMG4965-X2.jpg

Josh Hayes in T1:

IMG4959-X2.jpg

Blake Young leading through T10 - The racing was this close pretty much the whole time:

IMG5392-X2.jpg

Josh Hayes in T10 in the Superbike race:

IMG5259-X2.jpg

Jason DiSalvo put in a good showing on the Ducati during DSB:

IMG5142-X2.jpg

Dustin Dominguez leading the SuperSport race on the Triumph 675. This was the first time Triumph had won an AMA National event since 1999:

IMG5078-X2.jpg

Fillmore on the KTM. They had a really good result (7th) considering this was their first race ever:

2011-MidOhio-08-X2.jpg

MotoX stunt exhibition:

2011-MidOhio-67-X2.jpg

MotoX stunt exhibition:

2011-MidOhio-16-X2.jpg

Lots more here.

I'm thinking next year I may just find a good spot to jump the fence and walk around until someone kicks me out.

Watched two of the races on Speed last night (Sat night). I haven't been paying attention, and had no idea this was Mid Ohio weekend. Grumble grumble grumble. INCREDIBLE 600 race. It could make the case for "its better to watch them on TV" since you get to see all of the passes. Craziness.

I wanted to suck that KTM off rotten. It sounded so amazing, and after the Sunday race he revved the shit out of it in the Esses and we were right on the fence, deathning.

Also saw the wad up in T1 on the 2nd 600 race and it was ugly, but glad I was there on the start to see it.

Nice pics. The KTM looked and sounded sweet on track.

I agree! It seemed pretty torquey too. A few turns it seemed like he was having to roll on really soft to keep from breaking the backend loose.

Great photos to the OP. Very talented!

Thanks for the kind words all.

Nice pics. The KTM looked and sounded sweet on track.

That KTM was really fantastic - I probably took ~50 shots of it between qualifying and the race. Something about the look and sound was just right. It was nice to see them do so well in their first race.