need help w/ Weeping clutch-cable

redkow97

My bike "weeps" oil where the lever that actuates the clutch enters the engine case.

In a 20 minute sessions, it's maybe 2 or 3 "drops" of oil that run down the case, so it's not a big leak, but I noticed it getting worse at Nelson this past Saturday...

anyway, just based on the part name ("oil seal"), I am betting it's #17 on this diagram that needs to be replaced http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2003-honda-cbr600rr/o/m2055#sch407016

How much of a pain in my ass is this going to be to fix? I've never had the cases off this bike before, and i'm kind of hoping I won't have to break that streak to replace this part, given that it seems to go in from the top of the perch.

Thoughts? Tips? warnings? "just take it to Pauly?" :D

super easy, you just have to take the cable off the arm then rotate the arm in the opposite direction that the cable pulls. once rotated it will pull straight up, install new seal and install the arm back in. I have done this on my bike.

Most are the same in that you don't have to pull the case ya ass.

I think you do need to pull off the clutch cover for the rr though. I remember when I was putting the cover back on, the manual said that I needed to rotate the lever that enters the cover as it was being put back on to lock it in place. I had done a clutch cover removal on an old zx6 before and just rotated the lever once I got the covers on and it locked in place. Here though, I tried to do that and had to pull the cover and redo it because the clutch wasn't engaging after. I have not tried to remove the lever after but I assume that since I could not lock it in place while it was on, it won't disengage and come out either. YMMV though, and I would try to remove it before you take the cover off just to make sure.

It should still be a $10 (including RTV if you don't have it) 15 min fix. It doesn't take long to pull the cover off, remove the seal (did that so I could paint the cover and not ruin the seal), RTV and bolt back down. Of course, since you are so close I can easily stop by and lend a hand since I do have experience doing it.

yeah, it's a Honda........so the engine has to come out and be completely disassembled before any repairs are possible :D:D:D j/k

Pitman arms are fairly easy but some do require the case cover to be removed - either way, may as well ready an oil change while you're at it??

I just changed teh oil, and I might be riding on Sunday. We'll see if the part gets here before then or not.

But I have tentatively confirmed that Imprez is right, and the case cover does in fact need to come off. One of the NESBA CR's used to race an '05, and he said this happened to his bike as well.

I have gasket in a tube, and all the necessary tools, so I'm just waiting on the rubber oil seal that I ordered yesterday. I should probably do the fix in my garage rather than in teh pits at the track - that's asking for some kind of trouble for sure :p

i would tell you to take it to pauly but he is too hard working for his own good, so I have stopped recommending him to people until he goes and relaxes a little. his face looks like beets ALL the time now, as opposed to when he was just dancing with liberals.