Anyone actually interested

Ringo

The most enjoyable thing I have found on youtube are the videos of street stunters crashing their bikes. However, I find stunting extremely interesting when it is done in a closed environment and not on an open road. Stunting takes a level of skill that I have no desire to master, but enjoy watching in a controlled environment. On the street however, it brings out road rage from deep inside me. I remember when I lived in Cleveland ('97-'99) having 4 Star Boys riding wheelies in the lane next to me (e/b Rt. 8 toward Akron) and just staring at me as they rode parallel to me. It was all I could do to resist the urge to yank the wheel to the left and wipe all 4 out. Good luck and keep it where it belongs (off the street).

my dad is amazed I ever wanted to ride after witnessing 3 different Star Boys stunts gone wrong right in front of our yacht club on 90 just east of Dead Mans Curve. There was at least one of these a summer on the same stretch of 90 for several years in a row, finally the cops cracked down on them hard. I honestly thought I was witnessing one of them die as he slid across the freeway in tshirt and shorts and went helmet first into a sign. I'll never forget that night :nono:

...to be honest there is nothing more fun than doing it late night on the freeway when noone is around but you gotta get to that level first...

Assuming you're not kidding, then: :nono:

Gives the rest of us a bad name in the eyes of motorists, not to mention it's just not smart - 60+ mph and you beef? That will hurt. A lot. And, I'm guessing, there probably is little to no gear worn during the hijinks.

Closed parking lot? Have at it. Just keep that crap off the street. Really.

Edited by jblosser

Why? I know there are several riders on this board that run their bikes at excessive speeds every weekend. How is that not disparaged' date=' but stunting is? Stunting isn't my bag, but I see no difference between flying down a country road at 75 mph and riding on the back wheel at 75 mph on the interstate. Actually, the latter is probably a bit safer.[/quote']

Didn't say it shouldn't be disparaged...

How are they different? In my book they aren't.

However, 75 mph on two wheels on a freeway won't get a second look from anyone (except a trooper with a quota to meet), but 25+ mph over, 75 mph on one wheel, or 75 mph on a 45 mph country road will raise the eyebrows and ire of motorists/country road residents that see it.

Do I speed? Sure, sometimes. But verrry rarely more than 10+ over (4 or 2 wheels), and I haven't been on one wheel (on pavement) since my BMX bicycle days.

Yes, I've gone 140+, on public roads, on both two and 4 wheels. Last time was 25 years ago (GPz900, Porsche 930 Turbo). I'm older, and I'd like to think wiser, now. I was young, dumb, and full of... It was stupid and dangerous, and I would kick my own ass if I could.

Assuming you're not kidding, then: :nono:

Gives the rest of us a bad name in the eyes of motorists, not to mention it's just not smart - 60+ mph and you beef? That will hurt. A lot. And, I'm guessing, there probably is little to no gear worn during the hijinks.

Closed parking lot? Have at it. Just keep that crap off the street. Really.

Im talkin noone around like 4am... doing it anywhere near cars is just nuts, and i always wear full gear, helmet gloves boots jacket jeans. Even in the 95 degree whether, i would much rather sweat than bleed.

Im talkin noone around like 4am... doing it anywhere near cars is just nuts, and i always wear full gear, helmet gloves boots jacket jeans. Even in the 95 degree whether, i would much rather sweat than bleed.

I don't think jeans constitute full gear. Go down at 70-80mph and see how those jeans do for ya

I don't think jeans constitute full gear. Go down at 70-80mph and see how those jeans do for ya

Im sorry i dont want to rock leather pants, would you prefer shorts and flip flops? You cant honestly tell me you think jeans are that horrible.

I honestly do think jeans are that bad, I am in full leathers 90-95% of the time and that other 5-10% is jeans and I feel like I'm naked. I will put my leathers on over jeans if I want to wear jeans where I'm going.

Jeans will rub through in less than 3 seconds at highway speed....they will offer no protection ...try to find some Kevlar enforced riding jeans if u don't like leather or textile pants

My a.e. Jeans held up really well

• 1 month later...

I wear whatever i want and ride how i want also. I bought my bike pay for my insurance. I could care less what anyone on here thinks everyone is going to have their opinions i think theres a difference between ridin wheelies on a public road and full out stunting on a public road. If you start endangering other peoples safety thats when your taking it to far in my oppinion

• Upvote 1

I wear whatever i want and ride how i want also. I bought my bike pay for my insurance. I could care less what anyone on here thinks everyone is going to have their opinions i think theres a difference between ridin wheelies on a public road and full out stunting on a public road. If you start endangering other peoples safety thats when your taking it to far in my oppinion

what kind of bike do you have?

I agree completely with your last sentence, but I'm not sure we're on the same page regarding when others are being put at risk.

No one here is going to tell you that you have to wear gear. Many of us will advise you that it's smarter to wear gear, but if you view that as "telling you what to do" rather than looking out for your best interest, I for one will keep my mouth shut on the subject.

But any assertion that riding wheelies on public roads isn't putting others at risk is flatly false.

There are hundreds of scenarios that put others at risk, namely your bike ghost-riding into another vehicle (or rider), or someone losing control or impacting another vehicle trying to avoid you or your bike if you should fall.

If you're talking about truly abandoned roads, with spotters in place a mile away in each direction to ensure you don't encounter traffic, then I'm willing to cut you a little slack, and say "play at your own risk," but an abandoned parking lot is still much smarter.

stay safe.