Awh, poor Android owners

Casper

Great. I can't wait until all of my techi-freedoms are taken away by Apple.

Maybe next they can find something to throw at Amazon because I do purchase all of my music from there as they are DRM-free.

Maybe they can do that next.

Hopefully some day my car will be made by Apple.. maybe my flat iron.. toaster.. toilet paper..

Hopefully you sense my sarcasm.

Great. I can't wait until all of my techi-freedoms are taken away by Apple.

Maybe next they can find something to throw at Amazon because I do purchase all of my music from there as they are DRM-free.

Maybe they can do that next.

Hopefully some day my car will be made by Apple.. maybe my flat iron.. toaster.. toilet paper..

Hopefully you sense my sarcasm.

At least your car wouldn't crash if it was made by Apple. :lol:

an output device for presenting the data;

How does Apple end up with a patent for that?

a memory storing information including program routines including

and that?

The patent system is broken when it comes to today's new technology.

Now that Apple and AT&T aren't bed-buddies, I'm not married to the Droid and would happily move to an IPhone.

It's funny. I thought about switching to Verizon. I just can't do it. I thought about unlocking and going with TMobile, but now ATT is buying them. I think Apple should do what was originally rumored, and start their own provider (done by leasing space on towers from another provider). The idea is sound, especially with the new messenger app in iOS5 and their work on VoIP for the phone app. They could go data only, and merge the iPhone/iPod. Then you'd just have a set flat monthly data plan.

Does this mean that Verizon will be replacing my Droid X with an iPhone for the price of free?!!?:D

No, probably just that Apple will be suing for damages and future phones won't be able to be imported.

How does Apple end up with a patent for that?

and that?

The patent system is broken when it comes to today's new technology.

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,946,647.PN.&OS=PN/5,946,647&RS=PN/5,946,647

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,343,263.PN.&OS=PN/6,343,263&RS=PN/6,343,263

Read the patents. They're pretty descriptive. The first one was originally patented in 1992, and the second in 1987. It's quite apparent Apple patented the idea, and twenty some odd years later others are copying it. Funny thing is, I don't see why they never went after Microsoft for these patent infringements. Curious.

they already beat 8/10 patents, what makes you so sure the last 2 will do them in?

HTC believes it has “alternate solutions” for issues raised by Apple, according to today’s statement. “We look forward to resolving this case.”

An Apple spokeswoman, Kristin Huguet, declined to comment on the HTC findings.

pretty sad that iphones suck so bad that apple has to try and get rid of the competition to sell them....kinda like buying a daewoo....if every car in the world disappeared except for daewoos, i would rather drive one than walk...but thats about it :D

Those patents are so rediculously vague. Basically Apple has patents to any mobile operating system what so ever if you follow this.

"Well we have shitty way over priced products that we have 110% control over and want to rule the world." - Steve Jobs

Edited by tyler524

Those patents are so rediculously vague. Basically Apple has patents to any mobile operating system what so ever if you follow this.
Read the patents.
What would this mean for android users...

End contract with no early term penalty?

Free upgrade to non abdroid device?

Interesting

Nope.
they already beat 8/10 patents, what makes you so sure the last 2 will do them in?

pretty sad that iphones suck so bad that apple has to try and get rid of the competition to sell them....kinda like buying a daewoo....if every car in the world disappeared except for daewoos, i would rather drive one than walk...but thats about it :D

Pretty sad people can't come up with their own ideas and have to copy Apple. :D

I guess we'll find out who has the higher paid patent lawyers... obviously the whole goal is to write a patent as vague as possible to cover all permutations of an idea, but even if you're granted a patent via the USPTO/International bodies, that doesn't necessarily mean you'll win in court if it's too broad.

If it's not settled and Apple really wants to press the issue -- it'll end up going to court for a judge to decide if the patent is too general (not specific enough) or not, because like tyler said... Apple's monopoly on any mobile OS would likely going to be ruled too broad. The details of what exactly makes up that patent will be hashed out and set as case precedent for any future infringements.