Constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget?

Casper

Constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Constitutional amendment requiring a balanced budget?

• Love the idea.
    • Indifferent.
    • Hate the idea.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be like trying to get them to pass term limits for senators and representatives. Hahaha

The GOP put it on the table today as part of their offer on the whole debt limit discussion.

I really like the idea, regardless of what party put it on the table. I think this would be a HUGE step in the right direction, and would definitely ease investors' fears.

You know I think I'm going to off my house ill have to call the bank to check interest rates, hell maybe I can get a better rate than the US Government. Now to claim I paid off my house do I have to borrow more than I currently owe? I think ill call my congressman for the answer. I keep congress on speed dial 877-SOB-U-SOB!

FYI that is the real number for the congressional switchboard!

Edited by crb

- I like the balanced budget idea, but spend the effort to make it a Consitutional requirement? Dunno on that one, I would rather have term limits. The recent debacle on the debt ceiling reinforces that one.

- A balance budget instantly today? Dunno how to do that one either. SS is $700 billion and medicare/medicaid is another $700 billion, defense is $650B and interest on the debt is in the $220B range. So that consumes the 2.2 trillion we take in now and leaves no bucks for the other 20 or so bureaucracys. (Education, Labor, Justice, Energy, etc...)

- Then about a dozen years out, SS and medicare will consume all the incoming revenue of the US at the present rate. So between now and then, Washington needs to change their ways or its gonna be nasty.

Republicans proposed the term limit deal back in the mid 90's...guess what happened when they were really pressed to 'put their money where their mouths were'?

I suppose the GOP will continue to bank on how forgetful the American people are. This song and dance has been done before.

Edited by JRMMiii

Blah blah blah I suck from the liberal teet blah blah blah ballet class blah blah blah my mommy was mean to me blah blah blah.
Sorry, I couldn't quite understand what you were trying to say there. :D

Seriously though, pot kettle black. Remember that list of Obama promises from his campaign I posted for ya? Did all of the democrats forget what he promised and why they voted for him?

Obama really doesn't have much control over the idiots in the House.

I just love how any compromise is evil. That's really how things have been done in this country. Forget logic and facts, just whine, cry, lie, stall, blame, and pray until you get your way. Or, you could take action...like that rightwinger in Norway. :rolleyes:

Obama really doesn't have much control over the idiots in the House.

I just love how any compromise is evil. That's really how things have been done in this country. Forget logic and facts, just whine, cry, lie, stall, blame, and pray until you get your way. Or, you could take action...like that rightwinger in Norway. :rolleyes:

I completely agree!!!! Obama should compromise and take a shorter term deal. :D