Columbus City Council approved lowering the speed limit on I-70 to 55MPH...

Casper

sounds like to me its the area between the livingston ave exit (alum creek dr exit by DeVry) and downtown......it already turns to 55 not too far ahead....theyre changing one little section that is maybe 2 miles long from 65 to 55....its not like the speed limit for the whole state is lowering

imho - that area of freeway needs to be 55 anyways....theres a sharp curve and a couple nasty merges....driving that section of the freeway is like playing forza with 12 yr olds

Edited by Steve Butters

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

exit 102 is already where it changes to 55 going into downtown... exit 103 is where they want to extend the 55mph area to.....its seriously like 2 miles or less

and that curve is ridiculous because of the concrete overpasses that are not level with the asphalt, and the lanes that all merge and shit...it really is a clustfuck

livingston.jpg

i doubt they will be able to enforce it often enough to generate much revenue...i bet they save more money in resources (cops, ambulances, etc) than they actually make from ticketing...the berms in that area are too small for a patrol car to safely park....the only time theyre going to make decent money on this is in the middle of the day when traffic is light, and on days nice enough for the motorcycle cops to be out

not that anybody will slow down anyways....when it turns to 55 at miller-kelton going into downtown people dont slow down, i see no reason why they will all the sudden start just because its moved back one exit to livingston lol

Edited by Steve Butters

I see people pulled over on that stretch all the time.

i do too when it opens back up around miller kelton - but that section between miller kelton and livingston is too narrow for a car to safely park (patrol car, or a citizen being pulled over)....their best bet is put motorcycle cops out there, and then when they get a speeder follow them through that section and make the actual stop when it opens back up after that curve

livingston2.jpg

this is not a safe area to make a stop - for the officers or the civilians....the stops would have to be made closer to miller kelton....its not the only place around the city...in westerville/polaris area they run into a similar situation on maxtown road between westerville rd and 71....theres not enough room to safely stop cars - they have now switched to using a plane and diverting traffic off of the main road to be stopped.....im not saying they cant put motorcycle cops in the berm in this area to catch speeders and then have the cop follow them until its safe to stop them, but being such a confined area is going to make it more difficult to "generate revenue" through ticketing people, thats all im saying

theres enough wrecks in this little section of 70 that i think it would help to have people slowing down a bit (not that most will)....nothing like a broke city wasting its tax dollars cleaning up after idiots who like to play bumper cars in traffic

maybe in canal - but up until recently i drove through columbus almost daily and i see them like may-august and thats it (give or take...certainly not "all year")

Wrong. They have sidecars in the winter.

I have the unfortunate pleasure to drive around columbus everyday for work. They roll all year long. I got pulled over by one in feb. It was 17 degrees. Everyday.

They are columbus pd. Therefore, you wont see them in Winchester or Blacklick, buut they are in and around columbus everyday.

Wrong. They have sidecars in the winter.

I have the unfortunate pleasure to drive around columbus everyday for work. They roll all year long. I got pulled over by one in feb. It was 17 degrees. Everyday.

They are columbus pd. Therefore, you wont see them in Winchester or Blacklick, buut they are in and around columbus everyday.

ok - wasnt aware they had those now, looked it up and theres a total of 5 for the entire city.....so sure, maybe they will get one every now and then....but i still stand by my statement that theres not enough room to safely stop a vehicle in that curve....those bikes with the trike kits i bet barely fit in those berms, let alone a car/truck being pulled over

theyre not going to stop cars and hang half way out in the lane to write a ticket

FTR no one said they would be pulling cars over on the curve. You are arguing with yourself on that one.

after that curve is already 55, and before that curve is still going to be 65.....isnt that what this entire discussion is about, the newly affected area? :confused:

but i still stand by my statement that theres not enough room to safely stop a vehicle in that curve....

they will just follow you for a mile or three until there is a good place to stop you.

they will just follow you for a mile or three until there is a good place to stop you.
im not saying they cant put motorcycle cops in the berm in this area to catch speeders and then have the cop follow them until its safe to stop them, but being such a confined area is going to make it more difficult to "generate revenue" through ticketing people, thats all im saying

sorry if i disagree that their sole intention of doing this is to generate revenue. if that was the goal i would have thought they would push for all highways inside of the 270 loops to be 55mph instead of 65mph. changing the speed limit in a short little section of a single road that happens to be full of accidents and not a very good spot for a speed trap, just doesnt seem like a great way to try and suck the people dry

to each their own.

i never said people cant be stopped in that area - i simply said the berms make it more difficult to stop people in that area than on other parts of the highway that have huge berms and medians. its not a logical place to change laws to try and write more tickets, theres so many places around the city where that would be easier to achieve.

Dropping the speed limit for 2 additional miles on a dangerous curve that many tractor trailers have crashed on in my opinion is a good idea. Its only two miles from the split. Most of the crashes were after rush hour/night.

maybe in canal - but up until recently i drove through columbus almost daily and i see them like may-august and thats it (give or take...certainly not "all year")

I work downtown, and I see motorcycle cops all year round. CPD is out on the bikes even in the snow. Been that way for as long as I've worked downtown, which is eight years now. They're not pussy fair-weather riders like some. :lol:

Dropping the speed limit for 2 additional miles on a dangerous curve that many tractor trailers have crashed on in my opinion is a good idea. Its only two miles from the split. Most of the crashes were after rush hour/night.

Many tractor trailers have crashed there? Really? I drive this way every day and have never once seen a semi in an accident there. The only two car accidents I've seen there are when people have gotten flat tires going westbound in the curve and hit the wall on the right side. That's in the past 4yrs I've been driving this route every day.

Now if they really wanted to just solve an accident problem, they'd do something about where 70E drops from 3 lanes to 2 lanes just past 204. That's a clusterfuck at least once a month.

Or the exit from 70E to 256E. Traffic comes to a crawl on the freeway because of the backup from people trying to get off the exit.

Or how about the 70E to 33E exit? I see at least one accident a week caused by people slamming on their breaks because traffic getting onto 33 is backed up on the freeway.

Another thing they could fix is the whole one lane issue for 70W downtown. I get off at the 4th St exit, and I can't tell you how many accidents I've seen caused by people in the 4th St exit only lane cutting over at the last minute to stay on 70W.

The point is, our freeways have some seriously major issues, and dropping the speed limit on this 2 mile stretch is what they choose to do?

its not a logical place to change laws to try and write more tickets, theres so many places around the city where that would be easier to achieve.

faulty assumption that the city is a rational actor, and would only act logically.

Edited by John

Another thing they could fix is the whole one lane issue for 70W downtown. I get off at the 4th St exit, and I can't tell you how many accidents I've seen caused by people in the 4th St exit only lane cutting over at the last minute to stay on 70W.

IMO the problem is with dumbass people, and not design.

there is very clear signage on the 18th st overpass. hell, its even painted on the road.

IMO the problem is with dumbass people, and not design.

there is very clear signage on the 18th st overpass. hell, its even painted on the road.

The fact remains that a FREEWAY goes to ONE LANE. Bad, bad design.